What Are You Smoking? July, 2013?

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by jpberg, Jul 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YAPPG

YAPPG Active Member

Cuban Mixture in a cob. Lemonade with just plane old hard sometimes floaty ice cubs in a frozen mug to drink.

2. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

Those ice cubs must make for a wooley drink.

Thanks to Rekamepip, I'm smoking Granger in a 2002 medium bend rusticated Stanwell Golden Danish 139. More ice tea with backstroking li'l ice cubes is my drink. Red Sox are ahead of the Yankees 7-4 in the 6th.

Lucky Duck, Smokey, YAPPG and 12 others like this.
  3. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Kickin' Chicken in the Kapet 68...this is good stuff, but it's a little on the moist side. I prefer it really dry.

4. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

Just lit up some R-Blend in my DGE Poker...

YAPPG, Lithua pipe, psquared and 6 others like this.
  5. Morse

Morse Active Member

Evening PSF. Home safely from Moab - ending a great weekend with a bowl of Peterson's Special 2013 Reserve. A glass of Gold Peak Sweet Tea is my drink.

Happy Birthday to jhguthlac!

6. dBear

dBear Active Member

I made a run to my B&M today and accidentally discovered they had some 10 year-old Cornell & Diehl #99 Engine. Of course I had to check it out, so that's what I'm smoking in the Kaywoodie PSF POY. It's quite good. A little bit like a Pirate Kake with perique in it.

7. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

Closing the night out with some ERR Match in my first pipe: a bent MM Washington, Rob Roy shape...

YAPPG, Lithua pipe, psquared and 9 others like this.
  8. Whitespot

Whitespot Active Member

Enjoying some 6 year old C&D Comfort in a Skovegaard 1/4 bent Calabash, along with some Knob Creek.

9. User4408

User4408 Active Member

MB Va. No. 1 in a MM Legend ... this combo was SO good earlier I just had to do a repeat.

Thus far there doesn't seem to be a downside to smoking back-to-back bowls in a cob. I just stir the ashes when done, let rest for about 10 minutes, empty, and then run a pipe cleaner through. By that point, the pipe is cool and dry and smells more-or-less fresh.

Of course this Va. No. 1 smokes nice and dry so maybe that's a factor. I also noticed that this Legend is caking up in a real hurry. OK, Corncob Primer ... what should I do? To ream, or not to ream. I don't want to manhandle this cob, hoping she'll last at least as long as I do.

Lucky Duck, Smokey, YAPPG and 15 others like this.
  10. MDaws79

MDaws79 Member

I would vote not to ream.....but I know so little.

Finishing the night with some more Walnut, back in the no name meer lined briar.
    Goodnight all!

Lucky Duck, Smokey, YAPPG and 13 others like this.
  11. KingsTarantula

KingsTarantula Active Member

Just had a bowl of Barbadose Plantation (Sutliff) in my MM and how gonna have a bowl of Conesoures Choice (Peterson), listening to Simon and Garfunkel sing The Sound of Silence

And to all PSF out there, Enjoy your pipes tonight my friends!

12. User4408

User4408 Active Member

That's what I'm thinking too. It makes sense to me to have a thin cake (in addition to the char) to act as a firewall. Without the cake, it seems like the inside walls of the cob would burn out faster due to the heat stress. However, it might take tens-of-thousands of smokes to do that, even without the cake.

Rick Newcombe has talked about this topic of burnout as regards briar, but he concludes by shedding no real light on the mystery of how long a pipe lasts. It's not even clear what causes a pipe to die. Do the inside walls eventually turn to charcoal? Basic science could resolve all of this, but how would you design an efficient stress test?

Still stress testing the MM Legend with some Va. No. 1 ...

13. dBear

dBear Active Member

Moved on to Peretti's Blend 500 (thanks, YAPPG!) in the Sasquatch prince. To me, this has got a healthy dose of perique in it. I'm not a terrific fan of perique, but it looks as if I'm going to end up liking this stuff whether I want to or not!

14. jdto

jdto Well-Known Member

SWR in a Country Gent with Forever Stem. Tonight my tongue is feeling a bit less than 100%. I think I might have been overzealous in my puffing last night after a couple too many. We'll see whether this pipe actually gets finished.

Lucky Duck, Smokey, YAPPG and 14 others like this.
  15. JimInks

Yankees and Red Sox are tied 7-7 in the 10th. Both teams have squandered chance to win. I'm not squandering my chance to smoke, so this time it's Blue Danube in the very first pipe I ever bought ($2.95) in 1974; a smooth three quarter bend Dr. Grabow Omega. Ice water chilled to the proper temperature is my drink.

16. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Just about finished with a term paper/presentation titled Development of Sexual Deviance in Adolescent Males (working title). I'm two thirds of the way done and am just about to begin the final leg of the paper that describes a treatment/supervision program that has been "jointly developed by the Special Services Unit (SSU) of the Northern Probation Office of the Juvenile Court of Alleghany County (Pittsburg, Pennsylvania) and the Services for Adolescent and Family Enrichment (SAFE) at Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic, University of Pittsburg School of Medicine." Talk about some fascinating stuff. :rolleyes:

My eyes are blurry and my head hurts. I have stats oozing out of every pore. So, I'm now sitting back with a well-deserved Ben Wade briar Calabash full of Squadron Leader, and a glass of unsweetened iced tea. Talk about therapy...

Lucky Duck, Smokey, YAPPG and 12 others like this.
  17. JimInks

Red Sox won in the bottom of the 11th, 8-7. I'm about to smoke Great Outdoors in a 1979 medium bend etch relief meerschaum lined TinderBox Arabesque. More ice water, more work.

Lucky Duck, YAPPG, MDaws79 and 14 others like this.
  18. dwpipes

dwpipes Sales Account

H&H Mature Virginia. First smoke in a recently restored GBD Autumn Gold 1439. My friend desertpipe lovingly restored it with some expert help from Arley Curtz and I traded him one of my early Grecian briar brandys for it!

Lucky Duck, YAPPG, MDaws79 and 13 others like this.
  19. Ridwaan Gallow

Ridwaan Gallow Member

Good morning all..
    Last night was nice.. i had some Borkum Riff Vanilla Admiral flake in a cob.. then after a few minutes of thought, i filled up the Pete 307 with the last of the Carter Hall in the pouch.. nice..

Lucky Duck, Smokey, YAPPG and 10 others like this.
  20. Thuber88

Thuber88 Well-Known Member

Having some French Quarter with Pirate Jim, Ice tea in the BGM, and wading into Ip Man, the 2013 Tv Series

Lucky Duck, YAPPG, MDaws79 and 11 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.