What Are You Smoking? July, 2013?

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by jpberg, Jul 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

Percolators are great. The one caveat though is they are better on the stove top rather than electric. You can perc the coffee a little longer on the stove top than electric, which end at a predetermined temperature. Sometimes the electric do not perc the coffee long enough for full flavor.
    We do know though, that berg, is all smoke and mirrors!

Thuber88, Morse, Smokey and 8 others like this.
  2. PipeSimmo

PipeSimmo Active Member

Decided on my next smoke: GL Pease Blackpoint in the Tinsky Xmas 2012 Tanblast. :thu2:
    [​IMG]

Thuber88, Morse, Lucky Duck and 16 others like this.
  3. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

Mets are leading the Braves 7-4 in the 9th, Nats lead the Bucs 5-3 in the 8th, and the Rangers and Yankees are scoreless in the :dkn:. I'm scoring with this bowl of Dunhill Elizabethan Match in a smooth 1977 Medley (GBD second) medium bend billiard with a flat underside. A can of 7-Up is my drink.

Thuber88, Morse, Lucky Duck and 12 others like this.
  4. TheModernGent

TheModernGent Member

That pipe is truly stunning

Morse, Stormy, Mington and 7 others like this.
  5. SidStavros

SidStavros Active Member

[​IMG]

Peter Stokkebye Nougat.

6. PipeSimmo

PipeSimmo Active Member

Thank you very much my dear friend. I'm really happy about the fact Mr Tinsky mistakenly sent the wrong one. I thought about it and finally decided to keep it, and also got the one I actually desired. :thu2: Now I got two Xmas Tinskys.

7. fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo Active Member

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner, nothing beats a beat up old peculator like the one I have from my grandmother on top of the woodstove with freshly ground beans and cold spring water, if you have a campfire hobo coffee is right there as well, boil the water, throw in a handful of freshly ground beans then a 1/2 cup of cold water to get them to settle and steep! Then the french press, Keurig using ECCOpod's so you can use your own fresh beans ground to your liking and amount then static drip, i.e. a peculator with a drip top that you pour the water over your fresh grounds. Now you got some great coffee, but espresso and its cousins beats them all, be it Italian style, Cuban Style, Vietnamese Style etc. it's all sheer heaven.

Having said all that I'll enjoy a bowl of H&C/965 in the MM Diplomat with the blue and white Forever Stem whilst I decide which of the bean concoctions aforementioned I have in accompaniment.

Artistik, Thuber88, Morse and 16 others like this.
  8. TheModernGent

TheModernGent Member

I just made the mistake of checking out his work, believe it or not I've never heard of him before...thanks a lot Simmo...add another one to the PAD list. HAHA

FlatbushPaul, Thuber88, Morse and 8 others like this.
  9. dBear

dBear Active Member

Finishing up a suitably large bowl of Classic Burley Kake in the Rekamepip maple tank alongside the first cup of coffee.

What I want to know about all this fancy coffee making is what do you use to make the coffee that wakes you up enough to do all the fancy coffee making? [​IMG]

10. PipeSimmo

PipeSimmo Active Member

Woohoo - I did it! I'm an enabler, oh yeah...oh yeah.
    Never heard about Tinsky myself, until I joined PSF. Really great pipes, I don't know for sure but I've heard Rad Davis does Mark's blasting for him.

11. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

I stopped doing those things a long time ago! :hp2:

MDaws79, Thuber88, Morse and 9 others like this.
  12. phatdaddynxn

phatdaddynxn Member

mm cob full a petersons 3Ps

13. fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo Active Member

I do the heavy work while I'm awake, i.e. grind the beans, label the sealed containers they are in, I have 8 gallons of fresh reverse osmosis water available at all times with one jug sitting in the Poland Spring Dispenser keeping it chilled to perfection, any and all associated pots, French Presses, Keurig and it's ECCOpod's, large China Mugs and
    the PRM are all within hands reach I simply walk into the kitchen and turn on the light and from there I'm in automated mode and heading for the ZONE! Now having a wonderful PRM filled with Jamaican Blue Mountain.

14. dBear

dBear Active Member

Heine's Blend (thanks, Rekamepip!) in the Tom Howard pot dog. Last of the coffee in the cup.

15. dBear

dBear Active Member

Okay, I'm pretty familiar with automated mode so I can make sense of that. I mean, I do get from the bed to the kitchen... somehow.

16. Monkey

Monkey Active Member

Last night I was reading the epic thread,"Flake Takes" and realized it has been a few months since I did a fold and stuff of DFU.

I've been smoking my Kendal trifecta (dfu, dfs and Dark Plug trimmings), finishing off some DFU that got horribly dried out due ti a poor choice in container on my part (I tjought I'd smoke it before it dried out) and knocking around with some ribbon cuts and dreaming of a nice cold rain to whip out a lat bomb...much to great pipe smoking satisfaction. I feel my technique is better and after almost a year an a half J am much better at changing my pipes bowl sizes for packing purposes.

So I dug out my next jar of DFU (18 months in the cellar) and popped it open to pull half a flake for my Oscar Dry Dublin. Two matches to get her going and it smoked well to the halfway point. Man it is delicious and a far cry from the dried out trimmings I have been smoking as of late. (Still delicious dry as a bone, just different)

I stopped to post this up, and now I'm going to grab another match and finish this bowl off with a great feeling of thanks to all of you who share your knowledge here. I wouldn't be at this point today and wouldn't keep seeing improvements in my technique and my enjoyment of pipe smoking without the awesomeness of this forum and the people on it.

Thanks everyone.

Now, back at it.

17. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Hello, you derelicts,

I'm smoking more Old Ironsides (don't blame me, p2 started it), in a rather unpretentious, yet beautifully performing James Upshall.

[​IMG]

18. dBear

dBear Active Member

Double like. :th1:

19. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Terrific post, Mr. Monkey.

20. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

Now, it's Orlik Golden Slices (thanks to Marker) in an early Radice Rind three quarter bend sandblast egg with a bamboo-style carving on the shank. Listening to old time radio shows on the XM, and working.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.