What Are You Smoking? July, 2013?

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by jpberg, Jul 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

Edward G. Robinson & Humphrey Bogart... That movie is a classic....."mmmyeah, see? ~mmmyeah....." I love those movies, I like the old Cagney flicks too~ Good Flick~~~

My grandfather, when he was alive would always watch those movies & then when he'd see Edward G Robinson, he'd say, "He had to have been a real S.O.B. in order to be good at playing the role of an S.O.B. in so many movies"

2. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Big *** bowl of GH Coconut Twist in the BST

3. Brian Stephen

Brian Stephen Member

fishnbanjo, MDaws79, psquared and 2 others like this.
  4. YAPPG

YAPPG Active Member

Cagney is up next in "What Price Glory"? bout 10 min.

5. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

Actually, in real life, Robinson was a very kind and generous man; very cultured. For a period of years, he had the biggest private collection of Fine Art in the country, and painted, too. He also hated guns, which is kinda funny when you think of all the gangster roles he played.

Thanks to PipeSimmo, I'm smoking HU Oriental Sunrise in a very ugly reddish color 1980 medium bend Lorenzo Leganza Sigma 8635 etched rough top. Braves are clobbering the Phillies 10-1. The rain has stopped, so I guess Stormy went to sleep early.

6. User4408

User4408 Active Member

That's a great looking quintet. Your ritual reminds me a bit of the author Georges Simenon who allegedly preloaded 7 pipes every morning before sitting down to write.

Which cob do you give the nod to? I'm a pipe geezer but a cob newbie. The Legend strikes my fancy the most so far, so I'll probably start with that one.

Also, those Forever Stems look great. And I'm assuming a lot more comfortable and robust than the original stems?

GLP Union Square in a Lovat ...

7. highstump

highstump Active Member

yup, the old guys know what's good. I mean, not that your an "old" guy krusty, just umm ya know...it's ahhh....:nwor:
    So Jim, how about them Braves eh? :whis:

In my little corner of smoke town the choice is SWR in a Weber.

8. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

I hear ya.......I'm sure my grandfather knew that, the man was born in 1920 & probably knew more about those actors than I could hope to. It's just something he always said~

9. Monkey

Monkey Active Member

DFU, DFS and Dark Plug mixed in the Savinelli Oscar Dry.

I take the leftovers that don't fit in a pipe after rubbing some out and mix these three. I call it the Kendal Trifecta.

10. user3221

user3221 Active Member

No have not tried the #8 blend yet ....
    i almost ordered that but decided to go with a tin of the 2013 SE Trinidad Rum
    so hopefully it will get here next week

Still i like the BR Whiskey Blend the best !

11. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

Broke out the big boy for some Canadian Maple Steven Books, final pipe of the day. Definitely not a clincher.

[​IMG]

12. jdto

jdto Well-Known Member

I started with the Legend and the lovely aromatic 4noggins Double Fantasy. Of the few aros I've tried so far, this one has a flavour that's quite true to the tin note and it is a solid blend with decent, sweet flavour. I think next up will be the Dip with SWR.

13. JimInks

The Braves beat the Phillies 13-4. The Red Sox are ahead of the Angels 2-0 in the 2nd. I'm smoking Blue Danube in the very first pipe I ever bought ($2.95) in 1974; a smooth three quarter bend Dr. Grabow Omega. A bottle of Mountain Dew is my drink. I'm listening to the XM and working.

14. krusty

krusty Active Member

Younger than you, ya old stump.
    Seems there was a similar exchange involving you earlier (-;

My corner of town is currently relishing Samuel Gawith Sam's Flake in my Briar, Sweat & Tears Christmas 2012 Oom Paul.

15. dBear

dBear Active Member

Because I'm such a tough guy, I"m smoking Baker Street USA (thanks, SurlySoul!) in the PSF POY 2013 while watching a gritty detective show on Netflix. :sh:

(All right, I'm actually watching Nancy Drew. :bag: )

16. ryan65

ryan65 Member

Butera Pelican in my old Preben Holm traditional heirloom :bing:

17. JimInks

Red Sox are leading the Angels 5-3 in the 4th. Since MLB TV is broadcasting the game, I switched to listening to that instead of the XM. Thanks to FishnBanjo, I'm smoking Davidoff Flake Medallions in a 1998 smooth three quarter bend Peterson Limerick 69. Now, back to work.

18. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

Smoking some Heavy English in a London Tower rusticated Prince/Pot. The blend is sold at my B&M in bulk, but Im pretty sure its just Altadis Heavy English. In fact, I think my B&M calls it "Hearty English" now. Washing it down with a bottle of Batch 19 Pre-Prohibition Style Lager...pretty good.

19. dBear

dBear Active Member

Smoking almost the last of my Penzance (thanks, RickPal!) in the Crowley's Ridge red rock pipe by Rekamepip. I've been noticing that my better tobaccos seem to disappear faster than the other ones. Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon? :msty:

20. MDaws79

MDaws79 Member

How to phrase this....

Recently there has been a lot of hype surrounding the 2013 rib showdown. Yes, mostly it was me providing the hype. And yes, I realized that nobody but me was really all that excited about it. Here is how it all finally went down:

There were 5 competitors. The three competitors of most interest were Randy, Jedi, and myself.
    The three of us grilled on site and the trash talk was flying all day. Another competitor was grilling at home and then bringing hers in at judging time, and the final competitor was boiling his, then slow cooking them in loads of sauce, then bringing them in for judging (no threat there).

The three judges were all in their early twenties and skinny. None of them had ever grilled in their lives. I'll just leave it at that.

Finally ,after what seemed like hours of tasting and deliberation, the winners were announced.

There was a tie for second place. Jedi and the girl who brought hers from home. Way to go Jedi! (Jedi wants me to also add that she was competing on a broken Weber).

And the big winner is.....

The a--h*le that boiled his sauce swimming ribs.

Am I upset? No.

I got 4th place.....guess who got last. It was, after all, the 2013 Kick Randy's butt rib showdown!
    WooHoo!bdp. Also, thanks Dbear for smoking in support!
    Sorry, I did not take any good pics. But I did get a lot of comments on the Rekamepip freehand natural root briar! And smoked Prairie wind in it all day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.