1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

What Are You Smoking? July, 2013?

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by jpberg, Jul 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. user3221

user3221 Active Member

while working on my new Savinelli which is almost finished and hopefully will get to smoke it tomorrow
    100_2475.JPG

i am smoking a little of this in the maple wood pipe

100_2305.JPG

2. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

For Meerschaums Only Reserve - SMS Lattice Meer Billiard

3. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Running low on Tilbury. When I get near the end of my stash of a beloved blend, I'm torn between smoking big, thoroughly luxurious bowls of the stuff to enjoy it as deeply as possible and smoking smaller bowls to stretch it out.

I'm going all out tonight though. Big old bowl of Tilbury in the Baki.

4. dBear

dBear Active Member

Now for something completely different - Early Morning Pancake in the BC Maitre Pipier calabash shape with the brass spigot.

5. furious

furious Junque collector

Just ended this fine holiday weekend with a big bowl of Smokers Haven OBB in a Barling EXEL lovat. Hope you all had a safe and happy Fourth!

6. Lucky Duck

Lucky Duck Active Member

Peterson's Nutty Cut in the Suffolk. Thanks Pipesimmo. Good night all!

7. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

Almost finished with this bowl of AJ's VaPer (thanks FishnBanjo) in a 1978 smooth three quarter bend Danish Special. Of course, it's stormed a bunch again, and the humidity is not fit for beast or pipe smoker.

8. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Early Morning Pancake?

Stop that. It's silly.
    [​IMG]

9. dBear

dBear Active Member

:xd:

10. Thuber88

Thuber88 Well-Known Member

Finally caught back up here, so what else can it be.....Burley Flake #3....Fiddle de dee!, in the PSF POY, with Ice TEE

11. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

Angels are beating the Red Sox 3-0 in the 9th. I'm smoking Old Dark Fired in a 1970s GBD Prehistoric Rhodesian 9438 with a perspex stem. Ice tea is my drink.

12. Thuber88

Thuber88 Well-Known Member

You old dinosaur sucker you!

13. MDaws79

MDaws79 Member

well, my very long weekend is over....wait...no it isn't. I still have two more days!:banana:

Finished up my Sunday with some Dexter on tv, large Mountain Dew, and CH in the Carmel swirl stemmed CG.

Good night everyone!

14. Brian Stephen

Brian Stephen Member

Double like on the pipe and the blend in it. Earlier, my thoughts were along the same line but opted for Eric Stokkebye 1931 flake in a MM Spool.

Happy end to the holiday PSF.

15. Greg S

Greg S Member

For the long weekend:
    Peterson Gold Blend
    Peterson 120*
    [​IMG]
    I bought the 120 on a whim in an old pipe shop while on travel. It was on the wall, by itself. The shop had gone "hard over" for cigars so pipes were lost in the back. It's turned out to be an excellent pipe. I look forward to it's days in rotation. Peterson Gold is good also.:D

16. jwh891

jwh891 Member

Rattray's Marlin Flake in MM Country Gentleman

17. User4408

User4408 Active Member

GLP Laurel Heights in a rusticated Cavicchi Author ...

[​IMG]

I dreamed about LH last night, which is most likely why it's in the pipe now.

Pop the lid and feast your eyes on those thick golden brown ribbons. Smell that tangy mouth-watering bouquet. Press with your fingers and feel that pillow-like softness.

Sorry, Dr. Freud: no erotic strains in this dream, no images of Penelope Cruz and ripe, bursting apricots. This is the soft reassuring gaze of Italian renaissance angels, showing us that goodness and beauty are the true order of life.

18. Old Codger

Old Codger Well-Known Member

19. Ursa

Ursa Member

Closed out the evening tonight with my beloved Peterson Irish Second loaded with...well, a mixture of Carter Hall and Prince Albert taken from about six nearly-empty pouches, thrown into a bail-top jar, mixed with a half pouch of Bugler and the filling from three Grenadiers cigars, meticulously hand-finished by myself into a semi-homogenous cut throughout the mixture, and promptly forgotten about for about five years. I've about two ounces of this tomfoolery on hand and will be sad when it's gone.

20. User4408

User4408 Active Member

I haven't tried that particular one, but some of the strong untreated burleys give new meaning to the word harsh.

Robert Winans talks about this is his book on pipe tobacco. Apparently the pH of these burleys is so high (alkaline) that it can be like snorting the fumes from bleach and ammonia. Definitely rough on the old mucous membranes. I've tried snorking on occasion, but immediately back off. And they'll usually start to irritate the throat with repeated bowls. So again I back off.

According to RW, blenders usually deal with this by treating the burley with a sugar solution which reduces the pH. I think that's what Mac Baren does with their Original Black Cavendish, which is actually a pretty strong dark-fired Kentucky. That cavendish process (treating it with sugar) gives it a nice snork.

Still puffing on Laurel Heights in a Cavicchi ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.