What Are You Smoking? July, 2013?

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by jpberg, Jul 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Summit

Summit Live Simply.

This mornings commute to work was CH in MM Washington. This afternoon some Irish Flake in a poker.

Morse, Old Codger, fishnbanjo and 9 others like this.
  2. fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo Active Member

30 minute smoke in a 9/16's wide by 15/16" deep bowl, yowza. Thanks Mark! :appl:

3. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

Braves now lead the Reds 3-2 in the :dkn:. Astros lead Tampa Bay 3-0 in the :dkn:. White Sox and Phillies aren't drinking and are tied 3-3 in the 8th. Thanks to FishnBanjo, I'm smoking HU Edward G. in a 2001 medium bend straight grain Karl Erik freehand with a silver ferrule. A bottle of Cheerwine was dutifully delivered to me by the Saint Bernard.

psquared, PipeSimmo, Morse and 11 others like this.
  4. mecompco

mecompco Active Member

Huge bowl of Kickin' Chicken still going! When this is done, I dunno...perhaps another flake of Old Dark Fired would be good. Watching Justified on Netflix--Tim Olyphant is great--really enjoyed his performance in Deadwood and this it pretty good.

psquared, PipeSimmo, Morse and 9 others like this.
  5. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

FishnBanjo: love the 7 o'clock pipe, and that high noon one even better!

Oh, sure! Give me something else to want. %(*&$#!!! cassen frassen enabler!

6. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

Got my Pre-Work Smoke ready to go: ERR Match in my 2013 POY. ERR Match has easily become "my" tobacco...just barely beating out PA...

Morse, Old Codger, fishnbanjo and 9 others like this.
  7. Stormy

Stormy Resident Rain Maker

Been watching the Braves -vs- Reds Got some Dunhill navy rolls on deck for a Savinelli.

8. User4408

User4408 Active Member

I've had my doubts about the bulk version as well. Though a number of UK pipers back in the 90's kept urging me to get my hands on the so-called St Bruno 6, which was a bulk version they claimed was light-years beyond the tinned version.

Once during a trip to London I went to a tobacconist and asked about it. They said they stocked it, but it was labeled under their house name (I think it was called Charing Flake, or something like that). The flakes were 6 inches long and dark brown, but had a mellower aroma than the tinned.

It was an excellent smoke ... very superior matured Virginia tobacco ... but it didn't have that heady aroma I like in the tin.

Here's a gentleman on YT who does a comparison of recent St Bruno with a 60-year-old version. I think the bottom line is that St Bruno changes over the years. The stuff I used to get back in the 70's was jet black, juicy, and had a very strong smell out of the tin. And, man, was it great!

Plumcake in a Bjarne ...

psquared, PipeSimmo, Morse and 8 others like this.
  9. Artistik

Artistik Active Member

Back from our short little road trip with a full stomach and some veggies for the freezer. When we returned it was an ice cold Presidente lite and an e-cig while the Backwoods Flake dried a little. Enjoyed the BF in a Dr. G bulldog while watching The Chronicle of Riddick. I like most anything Vin Diesel plays in. Now
    I am smoking Virginia Woods Montbatten bulldog and getting ready to watch the news. Drizzled rain all day until about 3 and then the sun came out for about an hour. Cloudy again now with more rain in the forecast for tonight and tomorrow. Oh well, it just started again.

10. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

I had a hankering, so I dug out some Revor Plug and loaded it into a cob. This stuff is so good, but there is no way I could smoke it ever day.

11. fordy

fordy Member

My dad has smoked St Bruno flake since the 60's, never smokes anything else - my earliest recollection is from 1970 onwards, and yes, the aroma from the tin certainly isn't there in todays plastic pouches.
    Still damn fine stuff though!

St Bruno Flake / Falcon / Plymouth rustic, before bed on a barmy hot & humid Yorkshire Saturday night.

psquared, PipeSimmo, Morse and 8 others like this.
  12. Thuber88

Thuber88 Well-Known Member

Had some LTF in the La Reserva 272 USR and ice tea, filled a bowl of EGR in the GBD/Comoy Bumtard smooth Zulu, but have not lit it yet.Taking measurement of a Cigar-Pipe for someone.

For Mr FishnBanjo, the 7 O'clock should be called the Dead Mouse, or Dead Mole, it always looks like my cat brought me a present :p:
    Happy Smoking to one and all, back to crap 2 dew

PipeSimmo, Morse, Old Codger and 8 others like this.
  13. dBear

dBear Active Member

Got Black Lung going in the Sav blobby pipe, which is good. Got my new computer plugged in and running, which is good. (The backup computer was old and slow, which is bad.) The new one's got Windows 8 on it, which totally sucks. Now I'm trying to assemble a usable user interface on this machine, which is annoying.

14. Wicker Man

Wicker Man Active Member

I'm better with Paraffin and wicks ! how's this

psquared, PipeSimmo, Morse and 6 others like this.
  15. YAPPG

YAPPG Active Member

Hey Bear, did that dang bomb not hit your place today?

Morse, fishnbanjo, Thuber88 and 3 others like this.
  16. User4408

User4408 Active Member

Moving on to some Escudo in a DH Diplomat, from the same batch I sent to Simmo ...

[​IMG]

This is some pretty crusty stuff. Even the paper insert looks and feels like it was rescued from Tut's tomb.

Now comes the heresy. This is an excellent smoke. No doubt. But I think I prefer a nice fresh bowl of LBF :bag:

17. Huby Springer

Huby Springer Active Member

18. YAPPG

YAPPG Active Member

Midnight in the Big Apple.

19. dBear

dBear Active Member

May have - the mail would have showed up about an hour ago. I'll go check next time I break from this stupid computer. (At least I've got my Start button back again and boot directly to the Desktop now.)

psquared, PipeSimmo, Morse and 7 others like this.
  20. Stormy

Stormy Resident Rain Maker

Art, Don't tell Jiminks. He will blame it on me.
    Although a couple of Dunhill's from the vault wing might go a long way in getting some good weather.:rolleyes:

psquared, Artistik, Morse and 8 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.