What are you smoking? June 2012

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by woody, Jun 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phinz

phinz Active Member

Marlin Flake in a Savinelli 602 Professor, with a pint of Sweetwater Georgia Brown to back it up. May get a dram of Lagavulin 12 or Rittenhouse BIB as a finisher in a few.

Old Codger likes this.
  2. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

If I don't report in for a couple of days someone call the FBI, ATF, and HROA to let them know that I may have smoked myself into the great beyond. I have loaded the pipe below with Kicken Chicken and have my mind made up to finish it before sunrise.
    [​IMG]

I know, I know....... I am really handsome. :)

3. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Don't let him fool you; it may have been an impressive smoke 10 years ago but that thing has cake five inches thick. He barely smokes anything else and never cleans it. The smoke will be done in two hours!

4. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

Not true Colin, I had it "reamed" with a jack-hammer a while back.:cool:

FlatbushPaul, nesta and Old Codger like this.
  5. TheMadMan

TheMadMan Active Member

Hmm my last bowl for the night... Can't decide as of yet..
    [​IMG]

jdto likes this.
  6. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Dan's Old Ironsides (from Mington) in a Guildhall Giant. I absolutely love this stuff and can't stop smoking it. If you like sweet latakia's, I highly rec you try some asap.

Mington, TheMadMan and Old Codger like this.
  7. Old Codger

Old Codger Well-Known Member

Wow! Absolutely still, not the slightest whisper of a breeze. You are probably thinking that I've lost whatever I had left of whatever it was that I had. But up against the rocks there is always a weather system doing something, so zero wind is really unusual. Irish Flake cradling Sherlock Holmes in a IMP meerschaum freehand. Small Coopers Choice and I can smell it even though it's sitting a foot or so away from me. Smoke from the pipe is just hanging there. I'm creating my own little smoke cloud. Almost wish a mosquitoe would come by and fly through my cloud so I could hear him sputter out like a tiny little Pratt and Whitney round engine and hit the deck in a ball of flame. Yes, I said almost.

Nate, Rewster66, FlatbushPaul and 4 others like this.
  8. 50rayj

50rayj Active Member

McBarrens Roll Cake in a Pete Dalkey parked in a truckstop in Wells, Nevada.

Old Codger likes this.
  9. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Just came in from a nice long smoke...Antonio y Cleopatra Grenadiers with a candela wrapper. They were buy one get one free for packs of six, so I got 12 panatelas for less than 10 bucks. They're good smokes for less than a buck...at normal price they still aren't awful but not nearly as worth it

10. LawMonkey

LawMonkey Member

So tell me about candelas, man. I'm fascinated, and as a man who walks into the office wearing a straw fedora, then takes it off to reveal suspenders and a set of cufflinks made from 1953 NYC subway tokens, I'm not opposed to making a certain statement. But it's gotta taste good, and that freaky green wrapper, man..

11. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Candela is something I have limited experience with. Limited though it is, my experiences have been favorable.

From what I gather from such reputable sources as cigar catalogs and the internet (that is, don't take this as gospel truth), candela wrappers were the most popular wrappers for cigars in the United States for years and years, until the mid to late 20th century. At that point they mostly fell out of favor and became extremely hard to come by. Most premium cigar companies wouldn't use them because they were thought of as old fashioned and not in line with what modern cigar smokers were seeking. As such, it was mostly kept in use for cheaper machine made cigars. Old timers knew what they were, liked them, and had no desire to change what they smoked. Garcia y Vega, Antonio y Cleopatra, Dutch Masters, etc. continued producing green cigars. Of late, they have experienced a very minor resurgence in popularity as their potential for producing well balanced, flavorful premium cigars has been explored further. They are often considered a novelty and premium candela cigars don't often make it very far in the market place as people tend to stick to "normal" cigars.

They are very mild, and are produced by quickly drying the leaf very thoroughly in high temperatures and preventing oxidation and fermentation of the leaves, arresting the color change and trapping varying levels of chlorophyll in the leaf. They are then rehydrated with steam and careful stored until ready to be used in wrapping a cigar. They are generally used in mild cigars and provide a fresh, light, herbal/vegetal/grassy flavor to the smoke. Whereas other cigars feature a deep, earthy, rich flavor which pairs well with coffee, stouts, and dense, strong tasting spirits, candela cigars may find themselves pairing more favorably with an oolong or green tea, a funky "barnyard" saison ale, or a dry martini. The best candela cigar I've smoked was a La Flor Dominicana Double Claro which was medium-full in flavor (unlike most candelas), had a fresh grassy flavor, high in nicotine, and practically begged for a pot of tieguanyin on the side. Grassy notes are generally exactly the opposite of what you want in a cigar, much as they are harsh and unpleasant in a red wine. In a candela, however, it is smooth, fresh, and a breath of fresh air. If you've ever had matcha, there are some similarities.

Keep in mind I do not mean to imply that candela tastes like oolong or green teas, simply that the grassy quality works well with candelas much as it can work well with some tea types. There are a number of shades of candela wrapper ranging from bright, lime green (LFD Double Claro) to muddied brown-green or yellow-green (AyC Grenadier candela). I can't speak to how this may reflect differences in flavor because of my limited experience, and because the fact that it is processed to create a candela wrapper does not say anything about the original leaf from which it was made. It's like latakia...it starts as a regular tobacco leaf and undergoes a process to give it it's unique characteristics, but if the leaf used is low quality to begin with then that will show in the end product.

If you aren't opposed to cheap, machine made cigars then try the Grenadiers. Otherwise, next time you place a TAD order at p&c add one of the LFD Double Claros to your order. The one I got at the store last week was a churchill, and I found it to be a totally exciting, unusual, and high quality cigar
    http://pipesandcigars.com/lafldodocl48.html

From what I gather, it's sort of a love-it-or-hate-it thing. Some people really dig the taste, some people find it unpleasant. I'm personally pretty interested in them and want to explore candelas further. There are a few premium candelas I'm interested in trying which are much more affordable than the LFDs - most notably the Don Tomas candela and the Baccarat candela

12. SidStavros

SidStavros Active Member

Samuel Gawith Westmorland Mixture.

13. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Good Morning,

Odyssey in a Squatch.

14. Jammer

Jammer Active Member

Dark Plug - Pete meer.

Old Codger likes this.
  15. DocB

DocB Active Member

PE in the Donegal Rocky 221

Mington, cobbsmoker and Old Codger like this.
  16. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Good morning, Coffee, SWR, Cob.

FlatbushPaul, Artistik and DocB like this.
  17. Smokingmiami

Smokingmiami Member

Good morning. DHF in my Ardor Volcano

18. Artistik

Artistik Active Member

Good day all. CH, CG and coffee.

FlatbushPaul and cobbsmoker like this.
  19. Old Codger

Old Codger Well-Known Member

Peterson's Summertime 2011 in a Peterson Canadian. Large espresso kickstarting me this morning. +10(50F)

Smokingmiami, Jammer and FlatbushPaul like this.
  20. TheMadMan

TheMadMan Active Member

Morning all, Looks like a perfect day for CH in a new Washington cob, with Coffee People's coffee, and a warm cinnamon roll on the side. Wonder where i learned this from..(LOL) Thanks guys, I'm a learning & enjoying my smoke better each day..

Artistik and cobbsmoker like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.