What Are You Smoking? June, 2013

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by jpberg, Jun 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GlassEye

GlassEye Member

Luxury Twist Flake in the Falcon bent dublin.

2. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

Giants are beating the Braves 5-0 in the 7th, Pirates leading the Dodgers 2-0 in the 8th, O's lead Red Sox 2-0 in the 8th. I'm smoking Full Virginia Flake in a straight 1968 Dunhill Shell bulldog. Ice tea will be my next drink.

3. Old Codger

Old Codger Well-Known Member

Weybridge in a medium IMP meerschaum. Nuked rum and lemon in a teacup. 9C(48F)H60% Raining and damp all day.

4. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I'm almost out of Tilbury. I had a bowl this morning, though, on my walk to the library. It was a stellar smoke. Tilbury usually is. I smoked it in my Croft's Premium Canadian. A cheap, ugly pipe, but one which performs so admirably that I really ought to smoke it more often - especially when out and about.

Now, I'm on my very last bowl of Robert McConnell's Scottish Cake. I don't think I have another tin of this, which makes this a very sad night. At least there was enough left for either one and a half smaller smokes or one big bowl of it.....so I'm smoking one big bowl of it in the L'Anatra. This is probably the best pipe for this blend...I need more of this stuff.

psquared, Stormy, Old Codger and 12 others like this.
  5. surlysoul

surlysoul Sales Account

Reiner LGF in a DGE nosewarmer poker.

6. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

PA in a Mastercraft 59p/Miller Lite watching the Bucs win again.

psquared, Smokey, Old Codger and 11 others like this.
  7. Buckshot Two

Buckshot Two Member

Paul's #1 Balkan blend in a rusticated Peterson Molly Malone bent. :puffy: Good stuff!

8. krusty

krusty Active Member

Escudo in my Briar, Sweat and Tears Christmas 2012 Oom Paul.

9. User4408

User4408 Active Member

It might be because you're smoking high quality burleys!

But sometimes it stings and sometimes it's harsh. Peterson University Flake is a good example. I love that tobacco but my throat and nasal linings don't tolerate it very well.

Winans talks a bit about this in his pipe tobacco book. The higher pH and ash content of burley plays hell with the mucous membranes. According to Winans, use of the word 'mellow' in the pipe tobacco world really refers to the lack of this harshness, a remarkable property of Virginia tobacco with its naturally lower pH.

He also talks about the use of sugar with burley to reduce the pH and make it mellower. In those cases, snorking is highly pleasurable. I think the Mac Baren original cavendish is a good example. That stuff is a fairly strong dark-fired Kentucky burley. On its own it's probably quite harsh. But by mellowing it with sugar in their cavendish process, it's soft on the throat and enjoyable to snork.

10. rondel65

rondel65 Misplaces Lighters

Just finished a nice creamy bowl of Escudo in my Pete Drac 999 with some Makers Mark Bourbon. Very warm evening here. Have some SG FireDance on my drying plate for the next go round. Don't know which pipe though. I'll have another bourbon and I'm sure I'll make up my mind. Happy Father's Day weekend to all!

psquared, Stormy, Old Codger and 13 others like this.
  11. YAPPG

YAPPG Active Member

Peretti's Oriental #40 in The Sterling Pete 52. A little Hazelnut coffee to sip.

12. jdto

jdto Well-Known Member

I'm going to watch The Big Lebowski on the iPad on the balcony. I've got some Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban 12yo (getting dangerously low!) and Dunhill Flake in the Tinsky Tanblast. Should be fun!

[​IMG]

psquared, Stormy, Old Codger and 11 others like this.
  13. user3221

user3221 Active Member

going to call it a day and hope for a good weekend

:puffy::puffy::puffy::puffy:
    :puffy::puffy::puffy:
    :puffy::puffy:
    :puffy:

fishnbanjo, PipeSimmo, dBear and 7 others like this.
  14. BigJ

BigJ Active Member

Too long of a day, OGS in a stanwell featherweight.

15. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

Pirates won, Braves lost (they stink lately), O's won, and the Yankees are leading the Angels 2-1 in the 4th. Thanks to Mount Mandolin, I'm smoking PH Special Curly Cut with added perique in a 2002 Peterson Sherlock Holmes Series Milverton. The perique was my idea, trying to make it a little like the VaPer Three Nuns. I'm going to listen to a 1960 episode of the Jean Shepard radio program while I work. Ice tea is my drink.

psquared, Stormy, Old Codger and 12 others like this.
  16. Brian Stephen

Brian Stephen Member

SG Special Flake #1 in a Ser Jacopo

17. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

18. Brian Stephen

Brian Stephen Member

Yes, sorry. The plug is quite different from the mixture. A good combination is 50% Grousemoor Plug blended with 50% Grousemoor mixture. The ribbon cut helps with combustion, as the plug can be a little difficult when not dried. And it tastes great, imo. :puffy:

19. Morse

Morse Active Member

Thanks Brian. ill pick up some of the plug in the next order and give this mix a shot.

20. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Today was aged Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Twist Flake in a Randy Wiley Galleon 33 Acorn.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.