What Are You Smoking? June, 2013

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by jpberg, Jun 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dBear

dBear Active Member

Well, the pot dog turned around three times in a circle and laid down for a nap, so I'm sacrificing some McC Red Kake in the Squatch Volcano. Then I read the instructions and discovered it was supposed to be "virgin" not "Virginia." :shead:

YAPPG, surlysoul, PipeSimmo and 6 others like this.
  2. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

And you'd better believe it, see. I explained it to Southbound, but he wouldn't listen, da mug. It's gonna be curtains for him. Myeah!

Morse, YAPPG, fallsguy and 7 others like this.
  3. dBear

dBear Active Member

Oh man, that Southbound needs to be rubbed out like a plug of bad Krumble Kake! Myeaah!

Morse, YAPPG, surlysoul and 5 others like this.
  4. JimInks

And to show I'm afraid of nobody, I'm smoking the Squadron Leader in a 1990 Peterson Irish Second Oom Paul natural, see. Dat'll show da mug I meant business!

Morse, YAPPG, surlysoul and 9 others like this.
  5. dBear

dBear Active Member

Yeah, well that Squadron Leader had it coming. Ain't nobody gonna mess wit' you no how, boss!

Morse, YAPPG, surlysoul and 6 others like this.
  6. gentimmy

gentimmy Active Member

Carter Hall with coffee while writing a paper.

Morse, YAPPG, surlysoul and 10 others like this.
  7. User4408

User4408 Active Member

Thanks for the reminder. I recall your earlier post about the settling problem: very helpful information.

In fact I check all my tobaccos nowadays for settling. Once a tin has been opened, repeatedly pawed through, and dried over time, the leaves start to break up with some parts settling to the bottom. This can ruin the final few smokes if one isn't careful. And it can even happen with blends that have top-of-the-line quality control, like MB Mixture.

Based on your post I actually developed a new style of handling all my tobacco. Rather than pawing at it, I fluff it up with the tamper spoon and extract each clump with an absolute minimum of finger pressure. I do this because I tend to smoke tobaccos a bit on the dry side, and otherwise they'd start to crumble.

However, if quality control wasn't there to begin with (like your and my tubs of Walnut), the best one can do I suppose is to rehydrate slightly and remix. I'm glad you were able to salvage at least part of your tub. I wasn't so lucky.

MB Mixture Scottish Blend in a Savinelli ...

8. Thuber88

Thuber88 Well-Known Member

A few members said that Zulu's are great for flakes, so it either rally the troupes in case of a Zulu attack, or I will be smoking some Erinmore Flake in the GBD/Comoy Zulu, and eyez T in der BGM

Morse, YAPPG, surlysoul and 7 others like this.
  9. User4408

User4408 Active Member

Well, in short, Connoisseur's Choice was superb. The tin note is luscious. The tobacco was highly fresh and moist, so I dried a clump of it on the lamp. Still a tad moist, but it packed and took the flame well. Burned dry all the way to the bottom. A technically perfect smoke. Outstanding tobacco quality.

My wife hovered a bit more than usual and even gave me a neck massage while I was smoking it. This never happens with LBF.

After a single smoke, I'd give it a solid 3 stars out of 4. Whereas the Peterson Nutty Cut gets a full 4 stars. The NC is a tad lighter, but those subtle flavor and aroma notes are some of the best I've experienced in this style of dry-smoking aromatic. Those soft, buttery, spicy notes are entirely unique. However I didn't fully appreciate Nutty Cut when I first smoked it; the blend seemed too understated initially.

So it's entirely possible that the CC will get better over time and eventually earn full marks. Even after just one smoke it tops Sweet Killarney and Sunset Breeze. So the potential is there.

Still smoking Mixture in a Sav ...

YAPPG, surlysoul, PipeSimmo and 10 others like this.
  10. JimInks

My last smoke before bed is Edgeworth Ready Rubbed Match in a 2003 black sandblasted medium bend Karl Erik Ekstravagant horn with a roundish bowl. This pipe used be reserved for English blends, but since I don't smoke English mixtures as I used to, I cleaned it and for now will use it for ERR Match. I haven't smoked this one for a while, but it's a good smoker. More ice water as I listen to NY1's show The Call.

Morse, YAPPG, surlysoul and 11 others like this.
  11. User4408

User4408 Active Member

Congratulations on that pipe, dBear. It truly has the goods.

Finishing up some Mixture in a Sav ...

12. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

where can a guy get their hands on the top & bottom ones? ~very nice!!!

Morse, YAPPG, PipeSimmo and 1 other person like this.
  13. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Glad you got ahold of one, Rick.

Ten Russians in a Squatch.

Morse, YAPPG, surlysoul and 11 others like this.
  14. SidStavros

SidStavros Active Member

[​IMG]

New York Pipe Club Hell's Kitchen Balkan Mixture.

Morse, YAPPG, surlysoul and 12 others like this.
  15. Lucky Duck

Lucky Duck Active Member

Good morning everyone! drinking coffee from the large brown mug , as usual. Smoking Brebbia No.9 in my Suffolk straight pot with a silver band around the shank. Happy smoking![​IMG]

Morse, YAPPG, surlysoul and 16 others like this.
  16. Artistik

Artistik Active Member

PA, CG, Coffee!!!

Morse, YAPPG, surlysoul and 14 others like this.
  17. Monkeyshine

Monkeyshine Active Member

Gauntley's Nottingham blend in a GBD pot

18. TheKiltedOne

TheKiltedOne Sales Account

Morning all. I found a pouch of five brothers in my cupboard the other day. So I decided to open it up this morning (although it's afternoon now!) my first thoughts are this stuff is dry! I don't know how dry it's meant to be or if this is because it's been lost for about three months but this is like tinder. Anyway I've loaded it up in my pete for a first attempt.

Thanks again everyone for the well wishes yesterday.

19. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

Good Morning,
    I'm double dipping into Georgetown Reverie, this time in a Comoy's Royal Coachman Slightly Bent Billiard with black coffee. Thanks, Fishnbanjo!

Happy Smoking,
    Paul

Morse, YAPPG, surlysoul and 13 others like this.
  20. user3221

user3221 Active Member

Morning Coffee while doing rock cob clenching exercises

Morse, WalkinStick, YAPPG and 13 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.