What Are You Smoking? March, 2013

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by jpberg, Mar 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Two of England's finest at last together in the same bowl! Yes indeed, the Ben Wade Canadian with Penzance in the bottom half and Kendal Dark on top!

p120d16y, Moose, FlatbushPaul and 8 others like this.
  2. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Pete Irish Oak, in a Pete 2013 St. Paddy pipe (#408), and a Guinness... what else would I enjoy on St. Paddy's Day!

3. PipeSimmo

PipeSimmo Active Member

It's 03:00 am here and I've never smoked a pipe that late. But I've got something to celebrate:​
    I'm now officially a member in the DGE nosewarmer and chunky elegancy club!​
    bdp
    And that's why I'm enjoying now a tiny bowl of C&D Burley Flake#3 (I wished I had some Carter Hall) in a mini MM nosewarmer cob.​

Good night, PSF.

RTOdhner, Moose, p120d16y and 13 others like this.
  4. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

Who would have thought a DGE cob would end up being smoked on a porch in Hamburg one day? That's so cool.

Smoking some St. James Flake in the Squatch after dinner. Had roasted chicken and long grain rice and turnip greens. I feel good. :puffy:

5. PipeSimmo

PipeSimmo Active Member

I will post pics in summer, smokin' the nosewarmer while relaxing in a hammock. In Hamburg. In the garden, next to the BBQ. haha - nice

6. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

Special Latakia Flake in a Comoy Liverpool. No photo again.

7. noodle

noodle Member

im just off out for a cig :p: too tired for a pipe then bed

8. YAPPG

YAPPG Active Member

FVF in a Medico gold crest apple.

9. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

1 for the Irish,PA in a green DrGrabow/BEER.

RTOdhner, Moose, Brit abroad and 7 others like this.
  10. User4408

User4408 Active Member

Well said. One of great timeless truths.

Still DGT'ing a bowl of Mixture from yesterday. And it's still delicious.

Moose, Brit abroad, cmkiefer and 4 others like this.
  11. User4408

User4408 Active Member

You're certainly correct. An experienced piper such as yourself can enjoy a flake in just about any pipe.

I once saw someone stuff a Mario Grandi with 3 slices of Dunhill Flake. I thought he was insane. But he proceeded to smoke only the top layer and saved the rest for DGT, which gave him 4+ hours (off and on) of pipe smoking bliss. So he wasn't insane at all. Quite clever actually.

I still advise new (inexperienced) flake smokers here in Tucson to start off with a broad shallow bowl using fold-and-stuff with a loose pack, sprinkling a few crumbs on the top for easier lighting. That seems to get 'em over the initially rough waters with a minimum of fuss.

12. Monkey

Monkey Active Member

Lancer's Slices in the Savinelli Apple.

Perfect as always.

13. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Treasures of Ireland Limerick in a Pete 221 Supreme Silver mount.

14. AussieTX

AussieTX Active Member

Briar fox in my Altinok blue planet.

15. Texhealer

Texhealer Active Member

Smoking some well aged 965 in a little Webber lovat that I've been working on. I've got way too much time in this little guy but is smoking fantastic. Diet coke on the side, waiting for the Brit-coms to come on.

16. YAPPG

YAPPG Active Member

Experienced in some but not very long with flakes. I guess I should have expressed the thoughts I have had with the area of burning tobacco in witch a smaller area vs. a larger area. I favor a smaller diameter to sip at with a smaller amount of air coming in. On one hand it may be prone to being hotter because of the concentration of air being drawn. But that's why we take slow sips I wish i had a bigger dia squat pipe to compare with and will at some point. It also seems to me that a larger smoking area like that in a squat pipe would be harder to control the sip because of the extra exposure to open air. As you sip on the squat you will draw in more air and thus fan the ember faster because of the increased area exposed. You will exspress more smoke from your mouth but at the cost of a hotter smoke. Any of this make sense?

17. Old Codger

Old Codger Well-Known Member

Irish Flake cradling Irish Oak cradling 1792 cradling Peter Stokkebye English Oriental Supreme in a xxl IMP meerschaum. A little more of the Greenore Irish whiskey that I've been enjoying much of the afternoon while catching up on http://www.keepturningleft.co.uk/
    -15C(5F)H84%, stopped snowing and the sky is absolutely clear. Was out for a little bit looking at the stars.

18. krusty

krusty Active Member

G&H BB#2 in my Sav "Porto Cervo" 614, 'nuther Guinness. Say g'night ya savages..............

19. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

Earlier, it was FVF in an early '70s sandblasted Savinelli 315 Prince. Now, thanks to Flatbush Paul, it's Shortcut to Mushrooms in a straight 1979 MM Legend.

p120d16y, Moose, Morse and 10 others like this.
  20. YAPPG

YAPPG Active Member

Lancer Slices in my lil chimney.I dont know why but this stuff drys out too fast. Stored like I always do, in pint Ball jars. Half pint next time!

Moose, Brit abroad, JimInks and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.