What Are You Smoking? March, 2013

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by jpberg, Mar 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

Thinking of fishin' with Angler's Dream in a smooth 1998 Parker 489 three quarter bend Billiard. And hot tea. We had lots of rain and missed the snow. I don't mind.

2. Old Codger

Old Codger Well-Known Member

Not really tea. As the ice melts down, the flavour from the teabag increases. I have an ice maker on the fridge that I didn't want but found that I like just passing by and quickly filling up the same glass a few times. Having a teabag in the glass keeps it from getting too boring. A couple of medical issues got the point across to me that I have to keep well hydrated.

3. CoreyR

CoreyR Active Member

A bowl of Villager 1888 "After dinner" in my Dane Egg CW cobb, with a hard cider, watching North and South while the snow falls outside. With my old dog laying on my feet. :bing:

4. User4408

User4408 Active Member

Is that the 315 in your photo? Rumor is it's one of the best bowls for smoking flakes or any other compressed tobacco. Plenty of room to unfold, and the shallow bowl makes relights easier.

One of my "projects" for the future is to compare the 315 EX side by side with a Stanwell 95 (Sixten Ivarsson Pan) to see which one gets the flake prize. But I'm off to a slow start since I don't have either of these models yet. The 315 is easy to get, but the 95 is trickier. I've been advised to stay away from the new version which is no longer Made in Denmark and doesn't have the quality of the old vintage Stanwells. And the vintage ones seem to get snapped up on eBay.

In the meantime it's Mac Baren Mixture Scottish Blend in a Peterson Lestrade. This combination was SO good last night I just had to have a repeat.

5. dBear

dBear Active Member

Yep - good eye, to pick that out of such a small photo! It's a Savinelli Champagne 315EX. The bowl is 1 inch dia., 1 1/4 inch deep. It's made for a 6mm filter, but I've never had one in there. The drilling and draw are real good. I haven't smoked a lot of flake, so I can't comment beyond this - putting medallions in there couldn't be easier. Just stack 'em up and push 'em down in the bowl. Worked great.

6. BigJ

BigJ Active Member

So I haven't felt the greatest all day so I put off trying Escudo untill tonight. Wouldn't you know it, still feeling kinda crappy. I've really been wanting to try this, now I get a touch of something. Oh we'll, here's to hoping it tastes great with a little DGT in the morning.

7. YAPPG

YAPPG Active Member

Last pipe tonight, maybe. SG Commonwealth in an Apple.

8. RS422

RS422 Member

It is not a clencher, but fits nice in the hand. It was carved in 1984 at Jeannie's Smoke Shop in Salt Lake City, Utah.
    I found out recently that the carver, Ken Cunningham has passed away(R.I.P.) He was a great carver and made a lot of really nice pipes that were unique.

9. RS422

RS422 Member

Besides the legs, the pipe has a removeable drain plug at the end and can be cleaned from both ends.

YAPPG, p120d16y, Brit abroad and 3 others like this.
  10. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

Late night reading session, aided by gobs of Penzance in a very large Savinelli Capri Root pot. Penzance could do with a little more nicotine, but it is a damn fine blend. It's weird, the first time I got it, I had been wanting to try it forever, and then I didn't really like it. So I traded it all away. Then when this most recent shipment came, I bought a bag, and I've been really enjoying it. Go figure. Still, I need to get back to buying Nightcap. That stuff is the perfect night time smoke because it's robust and absolutely jam-packed with nicotine.

Nice night here, 42˚F (6˚C), 58% RH, west winds at 15 mph, gusting to 35 mph. Great for reading and smoking Latakia.

11. Old Codger

Old Codger Well-Known Member

Thank you. It is a unique piece and nice that he made it feel good as well.

Last one for this evening. LEO in a freehand IMP meerschaum. Just ordered 5 more tins of this tobacco. Guess that means I like it. Last of the mead.
    -5C(23F)H77%

12. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

Final smoke of the evening/morning is Louisiana Red in a 2003 full bend Meer. And ice water.

Morse, Brit abroad, krusty and 12 others like this.
  13. psquared

psquared DGErwin, my horse would like a word with you...

Good morning folks, back into the traces. SPS Blend No. 5 in the Rooster Kaywoodie cob.

YAPPG, JimInks, dBear and 10 others like this.
  14. Tsal

Tsal Old Timey

Mornin. Larry's Blend in a cobb.

YAPPG, dBear, Brit abroad and 7 others like this.
  15. buistd

buistd Sales Account

Captain Earle's Private Stock in the Blakemar Pipe Club of London POY 2012.

Mark Dawson, YAPPG, dBear and 7 others like this.
  16. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Happy Monday,

I got busy yesterday and never seemed to get to the computer. I decided yesterday was the day to clean out the shed -David, that's the scary room between the dining room and garage- so I took the Crane radio out and listened to The Vinyl Cafe (twice), Splendid Table and Cross Country Checkup.

This morning it was Dark Flake in a Doug Erwin cob.

BradNTX, Mark Dawson, YAPPG and 13 others like this.
  17. User4408

User4408 Active Member

In pipe smoking heaven right now with some Davidoff Danish Mixture in a Savinelli Linea Piu 5.

I get edgy buying a pricey tobacco like this. It's almost as though the vendor has his claws out waiting to snag the dupe who's trying to buy his way into status. But some fellow pipe smokers highly recommended the Davidoff Danish, so I decided to investigate.

If you're into the so-called Danish Classic type of blend (i.e. natural tobacco flavor with a mild aroma enhancement), this might be one of the best out there. It's a lot like the old Larsen No. 50 and No. 80, only finer and with a consistently good flavor throughout the bowl. The top note is a sort of caramelized maple sugar applied very lightly. But the real character of the blend comes from the rich, fragrant, soft, nutty qualities of the Virginia and Burley tobaccos. Absolutely top grade stuff.

Buying it on sale I was surprised to learn that it was no more expensive than other premium tobaccos. But I definitely wait until it goes on sale and then stock up. WAY too pricey otherwise.

BradNTX, YAPPG, JimInks and 10 others like this.
  18. porshcigar

porshcigar Member

Samovar, in a bent and blasted freehand.

BradNTX, dBear, Brit abroad and 6 others like this.
  19. fordy

fordy Member

Morning all,

Biting wind here in the (York)Shire but thankfully no more snow. Bit farther North, up in the Yorkshire Dales they have had buckets of the stuff causing us to cancel a belated Mothers Day dinner with the elderly parents. :(

Earlier was Condor Long Cut in the Falcon / Rustic Plymouth Meer, now it is my Perique/Carp mix in the Falcon/Plymouth rustic.

Back to work... have a good day.

YAPPG, dBear, Morse and 11 others like this.
  20. Wicker Man

Wicker Man Active Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.