What Are You Smoking? March, 2013

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by jpberg, Mar 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

Old school. Swr all day in the same grabow.

Lucky Duck, Atom, PipeSimmo and 10 others like this.
  2. dwpipes

dwpipes Sales Account

McClelland's Blue Mountain in a MM cob.

3. OBro

OBro Member

Hearth and Home Anniversary Kake as my first smoke out of a meer. An estate SMS canadian off ebay to see if I like meers. And the verdict is...I see an Altinok in my future.

Lucky Duck, PipeSimmo, YAPPG and 9 others like this.
  4. TheKiltedOne

TheKiltedOne Sales Account

Nothing today, im stuck at work dying with no cover so I cant go home. I thought about a smoke earlier to cheer myself up but the thought of it nearly made me spew so I changed my mind.

5. Old Codger

Old Codger Well-Known Member

A couple of things that work for me with 1792. I keep in it a small jar with about half volume air. I smoke most 1792 as a flake cradling another tobacco.
    When I smoke 1792 by itself as I did quite a bit today, I tear or cut pieces off the flake that are under an inch long, rub them out by just rolling the pieces around in my hands until they are balls about the diameter of the pipe bowl. Load one or two of those "balls" gently in to the pipe and give it a really good char. Tamp it gently to get a flat surface but careful not to push it/compact it down any further in to the bowl. Just a gentle tamp every now and then, and all is good. If I'm walking then the pipe is clenched and I'm breathing though it the whole time so perhaps one or two relights.
    If I'm stationary and paying attention to keeping the tobacco density right it'll be a couple of relights. Usually I don't pay enough attention and it'll go out multiple times, since what's left of my brain is off somewhere else anyway.
    Try mixing it up with some other tobaccos that you enjoy and that burn well for you and as you get comfortable increase the ratio in favour of the 1792.

1792 cradling MacBaren Club Blend in a BST Canadian is my last pipe for today. A cup of Meyer lemon tea almost ready.

0C(32F)H69%

Morse, Smithy, Lucky Duck and 15 others like this.
  6. dBear

dBear Active Member

They're a different breed of pipe, aren't they? :th1:

7. OBro

OBro Member

I'll have to try some of these techniques. I just opened up and jarred a tin of 1792. I've been excited to try it, but haven't explored it yet.

8. User4408

User4408 Active Member

Thanks for the photos! It looks delicious.

Lars Hermann has an excellent review of Gold of Mysore on You Tube. His review on DAFT also cites the 25% figure (scroll down to the "Lars Hermann" review).

This amount of sugar is at the top of the range for flue-cured (USDA Class 1) tobacco according to data in Robert Winan's The Pipe Smoker's Tobacco Book. In years of normal moisture, Virginia contains 16% sugar. In wet years, 25%. In dry years, 3%. Since Mysore presumably gets lots of rain, the 25% claim looks credible.

Interestingly, the amount of nicotine varies inversely to sugar content. A "Dry Year" Virginia has up to 8.5% nicotine, which is much higher than a strong burley. I tried some of them and they tasted and smelled (to me) like a super high-quality burley: nutty and dry, with an incredible nicotine punch. That's why I think it's possible to get confused in some cases on the separate Virginia and Burley components of a mixture: not all of them display the usual characteristics of their type.

Smithy, dBear, Old Codger and 4 others like this.
  9. OBro

OBro Member

No doubt dBear! :ohyh: Anni kake had a completely different flavor profile than in my briars. I'm pretty excited to try some other blends in it.

Lucky Duck, dBear and Mark Dawson like this.
  10. User4408

User4408 Active Member

Love that Duca Carlo. In a classical shape like that, with some age and patina on it, the Sav DC captures the essence of a real pipe for me. And what a value!

Lucky Duck, dBear, YAPPG and 5 others like this.
  11. user2453

user2453 Member

Some beautiful pipes showing up in this thread. Puts my rack to shame!

But apipe that smokes without hitches works in a pinch. I'm enjoying a bowl in my modest stanwell freehand, Best Brown Flake. Pondering how and when I may purchase a new pipe.

Lucky Duck, dBear, PipeSimmo and 6 others like this.
  12. JRobert

JRobert Serious Cat Forum Guide

Golden Extra in a cob. Chamomile tea.

Lucky Duck, dBear, PipeSimmo and 9 others like this.
  13. muddler

muddler Active Member

Day off & I'm tying flies for a trip next week. McClelland 2010 in a Pietenpauw canted dublin nosewarmer.

[​IMG]

14. Thuber88

Thuber88 Well-Known Member

The last of the Night Train is pulling into the station in a Comoy/GBD Zulu, still no matching wine, or James Brown.
    Should I feel cheated? :confused:

Lucky Duck, dBear, PipeSimmo and 8 others like this.
  15. psquared

psquared DGErwin, my horse would like a word with you...

It's a CH morning, in a small City Deluxe.

Lucky Duck, dBear, PipeSimmo and 10 others like this.
  16. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Good Morning,

Busy, busy, busy. We had a lovely afternoon yesterday, the snow is practicaly gone. So when one gets home from work on a beautiful, warm and sunny afternoon, one's thoughts turn to - that's right, time to start picking up all the dog poo that the receding snow has uncovered.
    After about an hour of that I went in and spent a few hours trying to decipher windows 8. I may have well tried to read a Greek textbook. I don't like computers, have no interest in learning anymore about soft or hard ware than my job requires, phooey on all of it.

Krumble Kake in a Castello this morning.

Smithy, Morse, Lucky Duck and 15 others like this.
  17. SidStavros

SidStavros Active Member

Samuel Gawith Westmorland Mixture.

Morse, Lucky Duck, dBear and 9 others like this.
  18. User4408

User4408 Active Member

Well, since you have a Stanwell freehand (presumably a vintage Made in Denmark Stanwell), you're ahead of me. I have none in my collection, but soon hope to remedy that.

Even though I've managed to snag some collectible pipes over the decades, the ones I'm happiest about are my Savinellis. Modestly priced, but they smoke perfectly and look great. Their style never wears out. I feel the same about Stanwell. The great Sixten Ivarsson designs will still look good 100 years from now.

Lucky Duck, dBear, YAPPG and 4 others like this.
  19. fordy

fordy Member

Morning all from the (York)Shire. Bl**dy snowing - AGAIN!

Coniston Cut Plug / Ennerdale mix in the Pete 314 Rustic / Fishtail.
    Aroma like a rose garden in summer.....if only it was!!
    :hip1::hp2: _

Morse, Lucky Duck, dBear and 12 others like this.
  20. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

Good Morning PSF,
    GL Pease. Embarcadero in an Ascorti Signature Full Bent Egg with black coffee.

Lucky Duck, dBear, PipeSimmo and 10 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.