What Are You Smoking? May, 2013

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by jpberg, May 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. psquared

psquared DGErwin, my horse would like a word with you...

I don't want to offend David's sensibilities by casting aspersion on the NYT...wait, yes I do. :D

Lucky Duck, fallsguy, dBear and 10 others like this.
  2. ArmedOctopus

ArmedOctopus Active Member

Wish I could hit "like" a dozen more times.

3. ArmedOctopus

ArmedOctopus Active Member

If it doesnt have sex jokes, it doesnt sell today. Shame.

4. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

So there I was last night, sitting on the front porch, smoking some SWR, sipping some wine, and enjoying the awesome thunder storm. The wife pulled up, and she and the kids came flying out of her car. They had all been to a youth league basketball practice in Azle, which straddles Parker and Tarrant County. She was gonna take a short cut on her way back, and return via Godley, which is a fart of a town in Johnson County, which is just a stone's throw away from Granbury, which is over in Hood County. I say that she was "gonna", but changed her mind when she saw the tornado off in the distance. So she used IH-20, then went down IH-35, and they could see the tornado running parallel to them for a good part of the way. This was in the dark, but there was so much lightning that they could see it almost like it was day. She thought it must have been a huge cyclone, and thought it was a good mile across. (Her estimate, it turns out, was spot-on). Anyway, they all came running in and yelled at me to come with them to the rear bathroom to hunker down because the tornado was coming through Alvarado. Just then, the sirens went off. As much as I love SWR, I had to cut that bowl short. We spent the next hour in the bathroom until the sirens stopped and we got the all clear.

The tornado that she saw was the monster tornado that tore through Granbury, Godley, Cleburne, and a small portion of Alvarado (but not the main town). I suspect that it also hit a rural portion of Keene, but I haven't heard if it did or not. It was on the news. If she had taken the shortcut, she and the kids would probably have been killed because it followed a good part of the state highway that they would have been travelling on. It really devastated Granbury, Godley, and Cleburne. They cancelled work today because power is still out in Cleburne, and many of the County workers' homes have been damaged or destroyed. Besides, so many school districts and day cares are closed, so there is nobody to watch their kids while they are at work.

It didn't come close to my house, and my family came home safe. I've got a big thank you for all of you who put Cleburne in your prayers.

5. psquared

Can't like that RTO, but I'm sure glad you and your's are safe and whole. Prayers to those who were less fortunate.

6. Thuber88

Thuber88 Well-Known Member

Glad your family made it home safe and sound, and everything turned out all right there for you:ohyh:

jhguthlac, Morse, Lucky Duck and 11 others like this.
  7. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Amen. At least six of my coworkers have been affected. I can only imagine how many of my clients/probationers, because many of them live along the path that that monster travelled.

8. surlysoul

surlysoul Sales Account

I am glad she didn't take the shortcut and very glad your family is safe.

9. PipeSimmo

PipeSimmo Active Member

yeah glad you and your family are safe RTO - shocking story

10. BernardLerring

BernardLerring Active Member

Swinging off my second pipeful of Germain's Perique Mixture of the afternoon. Yum Yum!

Morse, Lucky Duck, Beefcube and 11 others like this.
  11. psquared

Big old bowl of Kickin' Chicken in the Sav EX 316 Lucite Sherwood Rock Briar. 72F, light SW breeze. Put 'em up chicken...

Morse, Lucky Duck, Beefcube and 14 others like this.
  12. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer Member

My sciatica nerve is pinched! :bangin:It ^%&$#%@*&^ hurts...
    So, some
    [​IMG]
    in my SMS
    [​IMG]
    with beeeeeeer and some Dark Dirty's [​IMG]

13. Jfro

Jfro Member

Put another bowl of "5 Carter Bro's" through my new to me Parker. Lovin' it.

Lucky Duck, Morse, Artistik and 15 others like this.
  14. Jfro

Jfro Member

I feel your pain in the nerve issues. I have similar problems. I am always shocked when I see someone is reading that good S.J.'s works. Fascinating stuff.

15. YAPPG

YAPPG Active Member

RTO, while you were hunkering down I was watching on the radar on the weather ch. Was a heck of a thing to watch after living and working in and around there for 14 years, and knowing people that were there when I was. From where you told me you were at, I thought you would be safe, glad of that and your family getting all together like that and safe. Poor old Granbury! I think they are all extreemly luck, no more deaths than whats been reported so far.

16. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

Now smoking Virginia Spice in a straight Lane era Charatan black with burgundy undertone sandblasted billiard 420. Listening to MLB talk on the XM, and ready to do stuff I need to do.

Lucky Duck, Morse, Artistik and 15 others like this.
  17. fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo Active Member

Whew, the Tsuge Tankard did double duty today, although we went on a walkabout it was earlier than usual and I had the MM Diplomat with AoTM, then came home and got ready for my appointment at the VA Center. Headed out in the SL500 with cruise control @ 72 MPH and passed one vehicle and that was coming out the toll booth tunes and pipe smoking away. Smoked the Tsuge on the way up and finished it in the parking lot waiting to go check in. Then jumped in the SL500 and turned the tunes on and packed the AoTM for the last time with this jar of Anni Kake and might go straight Plum Cake or Reverie for a bit, or cellar scrounging since there will be news to post in the latest purchase forum. :D

Lucky Duck, Morse, User4408 and 13 others like this.
  18. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Been pretty busy....mostly taking snus lately as a result of stocking up recently and not having a lot of time to smoke. Have a little time this afternoon, though, and so I'm having a nice bowl of Kendal Dark in the newer Stanwell.

Lucky Duck, Morse, surlysoul and 8 others like this.
  19. gentimmy

gentimmy Active Member

woke up to a not so pretty girl this morning so I'm trying to redeem myself with chik fil a, coffee, and carter hall in my DGE nosewarmer.

there should probably be something else in this pipe if i'm going to forget this morning

20. dBear

dBear Active Member

Classic Burley Kake in a spool cob. I don't believe I've smoked this in a cob before. :doh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.