1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

What Are You Smoking? May, 2013

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by jpberg, May 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

Thanks to FishnBanjo, I'm smoking AJ's VaPer in a 1982 three quarter bend medium brown Ascorti KS Business Dublin. We had a friend over for a little while, and I showed her some Arlo Guthrie videos. Here's one of the coolest and funniest. It's a short clip from the TV show Byrds of Paradise:

Lucky Duck, Morse, Beefcube and 9 others like this.
  2. BurgundyRed

BurgundyRed Member

Another beautiful day to enjoy "Legacy" in my Sasieni Four Dot Hurlingham Ruff Root with a small glass of Lustau Cream Sherry.

3. user3221

user3221 Active Member

Very Nice Pipe !

Lucky Duck, Morse, surlysoul and 8 others like this.
  4. dBear

dBear Active Member

I think this my favorite of any Bulldog I've ever seen.

Lucky Duck, Morse, surlysoul and 7 others like this.
  5. fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo Active Member

Why yes, I saw the sky, it was very windy, the wind was blowing at around 32 MPH which would account for some of the heat of the Morta bowl since Morta will smoke hotter. However, if you have ever smoked a cigar with one of those cigar holders the feel is similar and you can hold the pipe as if it were a cigar since the shaft is very cool. As with all of the Morta pipes I own the taste is clean and you will pick up nuances of the Morta for a few smokes. This pipe was no exception, also just by standing there a few moments the bowl cooled quickly and the tobacco was still very much alive. Also true with my other Morta pipes is regardless of the tobacco I smoked it finished in a nice fine white ash with no dottle. I have never tasted Night Cap such as I tasted it today, I will of course need to repeat this more than several times until I feel the Morta is not responsible for some of the flavor experience I had but suspect it did have some influence, the smoke was definite cool and the draw was totally amazing, sippers and puffers alike will feel right at home with this baby and since I like a pipe to hang this one fills the bill nicely. Not one bit disappointed and in no small measure elated with the experience. A tip of the hat for Luca and Radice for collaborative effort on this amazing piece of magnificence. :thu:

Lucky Duck, Morse, surlysoul and 9 others like this.
  6. PipeSimmo

PipeSimmo Active Member

Jahaha - mine too, that's why I just had to have it ! :)

7. dBear

dBear Active Member

Hey FishNBanjo, how does morta compare with smoking in rock? Similarities, differences?

8. YAPPG

YAPPG Active Member

Ok, I did it! Sitting here S**t faced from combining a slightly rounded tsp of PK with same of Kicken Chicken. Smoked it in the Pete '52. I think my lips have fallen off. Very rich and tasty. Prolly 1/2 tsp of PK would have allowed the VA from the chick to shine thru. Man! The things I put myself thru for my brothers and sisters of the pipe! Big frozen mug of lemonade to drink. No, don't worry, it's a comfortable nic buzz:rolleyes::wiz:

Lucky Duck, Morse, Beefcube and 14 others like this.
  9. user3221

user3221 Active Member

i wonder if i fill my bulldog pipe with McClellands St. James Woods and close my eyes if i could envision myself smoking that Tinsky ..

Worth a shot

But i will have to settle for McClellands Dark Star in an Algerian Briar custom Made no name Bulldog

:th1:

Lucky Duck, Morse, Artistik and 11 others like this.
  10. Brit abroad

Brit abroad Active Member

Good evening Gentlemen,

Heading out to the porch, with a Peterson X220 full of Odyssey, and drinking the usual tea, happy smoking fellas.

Lucky Duck, Morse, Beefcube and 15 others like this.
  11. Snookman

Snookman Member

McClelland #5120 Fragrant Virginia Ribbon in a Peterson Dublin Castle 68 with a generous pour of Evan Williams.
    Pretty damn good!

Lucky Duck, Morse, Artistik and 12 others like this.
  12. PipeSimmo

PipeSimmo Active Member

sounds nice ... I just have to add a Morta to my collection one day...one day soon. I'm trying to snap a Moretti for quite some time, but he makes only them only occasionally from time to time. Yesterday a really nice showed up, but it was already gone when I wanted to take a second look.
    http://www.ebay.de/itm/Moretti-Pipe...iT3b05X%2BzU8d2Gvc2ZM%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

13. fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo Active Member

As far as cleanliness and neutrality you could lump, rock, clay, meerschaum and Morta under one hat, however, since Morta sat in ooze and goop for centuries it can, and does, pick up some flavors from having been where it was. Not all Morta picks up the same things but I think you understand it is the nature of what it goes through to become what it is, i.e. nearly fossilized oak. Like the rock a Morta pipe can be smoked repeatedly and simply slowing down if things get a bit too hot to handle it does cool very quickly, clay and meerschaum do not share this nor do they share ease of transport in comparison since clay is rather fragile to a degree and meerschaum comes in a protective case under most circumstances for a reason and neither like to be hot going into extreme cold. Here is where both rock and Morta shine they don't suffer any of this.
    The one thing Morta has an edge on rock is would be the weight and rock would have an extreme edge vis a vis price-point. I think both are equally difficult to work due to the nature of their makeup but both make exceptional smoking vessels.

Lucky Duck, Morse, surlysoul and 11 others like this.
  14. User4408

User4408 Active Member

You can conquer that by adding a little OCD. Seriously.

I have about 50 open tobaccos right now. So I organized them into groups, by whatever smoking characteristics I found relevant. And then I stored those groups in different locations ... sometimes in the same box, but in different layers of the box.

Before I did that, there was utter confusion. But now I can actually recall every single tobacco I have open. And know immediately where to retrieve it. Believe me, it works.

LTF in a DH Diplomat ...

15. WalkinStick

WalkinStick Active Member

Finally time for my first smoke of the day. Kendal Kentucky in my Wally Frank royal cob that Rekamepip gave me :th1: got a callback on my new job at 10:00 am today. I don't want to get too excited, but that seems pretty quick to me. Going in Monday for the final interview.

16. dBear

dBear Active Member

Thanks F&B! You hit all the points I was wondering about. :thu:

17. dBear

dBear Active Member

Yeah, STICK!!!! :thu2:

18. User4408

User4408 Active Member

Sounds like the Grasmere is simply excellent. Maybe there's no more science to it than that :bing:

I've tried duplicating past aha! experiences, usually unsuccessfully. For being such a simple activity, pipe smoking is amazingly complex. Good luck in your scientific Endeavour Morse ;)

Still LTF in a Diplomat ...

Lucky Duck, cobbsmoker, Morse and 9 others like this.
  19. PipeSimmo

PipeSimmo Active Member

Awesome Stick, good luck! :)

20. User4408

User4408 Active Member

So it was Sherlock's with a Woodie? Kaywoodie, that is.

LBF in a Le Nuvole ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.