What Are You Smoking? May, 2013

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by jpberg, May 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo Active Member

Our challenger completed the task in 40 minutes with a medium grey smoke throughout. The taste of VA was present after the first tamp and through to the middle of the bowl where some hints of cinnamon and other spices began then leveled off to spice on the palate and the snork and finishing with no dottle nor moisture in the bowl, a pipe cleaner ran through left residuals of dark and tan but no moisture, thank you challenger #6.

[​IMG]

This leaves one last challenger, stay tuned........... :whis:

2. Brit abroad

Brit abroad Well-Known Member

It really is a great pipe smoking location, in fact almost anywhere you go in the Adirondacks is stunning, of all the places I have visited around the world this is by far the most beautiful, the bugs are just part of the scenery, and you just have to learn to ignore them, they don't seem to like Latakia, which is great, also light a smudge fire and you are set, thanks for the heads up regarding the Locusts, at least they are good eating:D.
    Back on topic just finished a large bowl of Laurel Heights in my Benton Big Ben outside with the Blackflies.

3. fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo Active Member

Our final contestant is contestant #7 in our Morta Anni Kake Challenge, the final theme is where there's smoke there's St' Louis Ribs (yes I have that puppy smoking ribs). Our challenger is a Chubby AEROBilliard made by Radice from the mind of Luca Di Piazza of NeatPipes and a discussion with yours truly on having one of his creations made in Morta. A truly dazzling black throughout with a pair of briar dots on its tail, let's give a round of applause for our final challenger, challenger #7. :appl:

[​IMG]

In the mean time we'll be checking on the ribs.............. :drly:

psquared, Lucky Duck, Morse and 18 others like this.
  4. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

McClelland's classic VA in an Ashton

5. BriarRabbit

BriarRabbit Member

Just get there before the rain.. fish hit hard just before; but you prolly already know that. Oh, and if you catch some - pics: or it didn't happen! ;)

psquared, Lucky Duck, Morse and 9 others like this.
  6. Stormy

Stormy Resident Rain Maker

Dan sweet vanilla honeydew in a MM CG.

psquared, Lucky Duck, Morse and 15 others like this.
  7. WalkinStick

WalkinStick Your Huckleberry

That's what I'm hoping for. A couple of fried bass filets would be a pretty nice Sunday evening snack. :byg:

psquared, Lucky Duck, Morse and 12 others like this.
  8. jdto

jdto Well-Known Member

I took a break from the dance competition and left the hotel to head over to the park on the corner. It's a beautiful day in Niagara Falls and the sun is nice and warm. I loaded up the MM Legend with Forever Stem with a nice bowl of 4noggins Double Fantasy and fires it up. I reached for my pipe tool to tamp and...no dice. Luckily, I almost never go anywhere without my little Buck 55. I grabbed a little stick off the ground and cut myself a tamper and now I'm puffing happily away.

psquared, Lucky Duck, Morse and 17 others like this.
  9. user3221

user3221 Active Member

Pictures or it did not happen :)

MDaws79, YAPPG, BriarRabbit and 5 others like this.
  10. Lucky Duck

Lucky Duck Active Member

Finally back on line! Gateway problem solved. New Gateway. Anyway, I'm smoking a three way mix of; 3P's, Dunhill Flake Medallions, and Gawith & Hoggarth Dark Flake (scented), in my DGE Briar Nosewarmer. Listening to the Cardinals/Brewers pregame show. Todays game will be the rubber game of the series. I'm going to root through my cooler and find a cold drink here in a minute. Then I'm going to try to get caught up on this thread. I probably won't, I'm too far behind. Man! I missed you guys. Good afternoon everyone!

psquared, Morse, rondel65 and 22 others like this.
  11. Brian Stephen

Brian Stephen Member

Rattray's Marlin Flake in a Peterson Rosslare

psquared, Lucky Duck, Morse and 13 others like this.
  12. fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo Active Member

Our challenger completed the task in 35 minutes, the ribs are still cooking, with huge puffy pillows of whitish grey smoke until the first tamp where it settled down to medium grey puffs. The initial note was cool and mild and the VA made its presence known on the palate and the snork. The palate note quickly changed to a rich red burgundy feel and the snork picked up hints of Cardamom and other spiciness. The wine note stayed the course on the palate with playful meanderings of VA, spice and pure tobacco on the snork with the final few minutes being wine, wine and more wine on the palate and the snork. There was no dottle nor moisture and a pipe cleaner picked up the lightest trace of coloring with no moisture, thank you challenger #7.

[​IMG]

Thus ends the 7 Morta pipe Morta Anni Kake Challenge, I would like to thank all of our challengers for their part in the challenge and the consensus is not matter what Morta pipe you choose it will serve you well and for all those who say Morta will only bring out flavor if Latakia is used I hope our contestants and I have proven this is not true. For the sake of not influencing my palate during this challenge my drink was the same throughout, i.e. black coffee, I used the same lighter and tamper and Dill Pipe Cleaners throughout. I also refrained from smoking anything other than mild VA's throughout the contest in other pipes so as to not have any heavy flavors on my palate, thank you all for attending our challenge..... :gjob: I got to go peek at those ribs! :drly:

psquared, Lucky Duck, Morse and 11 others like this.
  13. user3221

user3221 Active Member

I would go fishing but having fun in the rock pile
    something about the pipestone dust is therapeutic
    (although a storm front is moving by and sure plays havoc on my bones and makes them hurt like the devil):old:

taking a little break to load up pipe with some GL Pease Key Largo and grab a drink

14. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

Earlier it was FVF in the Dunhill Group 6 Ring Grained Billiard with black coffee, now it's Steven Books First Pipe in a Squatch Ring Grained Dublin with more black coffee.

Happy Sunday Smoking,
    Paul

psquared, Morse, Beefcube and 14 others like this.
  15. Lucky Duck

Lucky Duck Active Member

Good luck to you on Monday!

psquared, Morse, MDaws79 and 7 others like this.
  16. Lucky Duck

Lucky Duck Active Member

North sea is one of my Tinder Box Faves!

Still smoking this mess in the DGE.

psquared, Morse, MDaws79 and 9 others like this.
  17. Lucky Duck

Lucky Duck Active Member

Happy belated birthday, Mington!

Morse, MDaws79, YAPPG and 6 others like this.
  18. dBear

dBear Active Member

Aw, heck! You mean I missed the swimsuit competition?? :(

psquared, Morse, MDaws79 and 6 others like this.
  19. Lucky Duck

Lucky Duck Active Member

I decided on Fitz's Orange Pop to drink. I've finished the three way load in the DGE. Now it's PS LNF in a straight pot Suffolk ;). Making progress on this thread. Getting ready to turn the page to 160. Happy smoking!

psquared, Beefcube, MDaws79 and 11 others like this.
  20. Stormy

Stormy Resident Rain Maker

You didn't miss much. They were a long sleeved.:gjob:

Lucky Duck, Morse, MDaws79 and 7 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.