What Are You Smoking? May, 2013

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by jpberg, May 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruffinogoldswife

ruffinogoldswife The Mayor's Wife

So Thursday, I got this surprise package in the mail from a very generous PSF member who saw on a thread that I was looking at horn shaped pipes. In the box was a beautiful horn shaped pipe made by this member. Now normally I wouldn't reveal a member who has gifted so generously, but this pipe is so beautifully made and smokes absolutely perfect, that I have to let everyone know that it was made by Basil Meadows. Ruff has a Touched By God Basil Meadows Pipe and now so do I. These pipes are drilled perfectly and smoke like a dream. If you have a chance to acquire one of his pipe, do so at once! They are awesome!!! Yesterday I enjoyed this pipe with some 1Q from the Box Pass. Later, I enjoyed the beautiful Handmade Pipe that Rekamepip sent me as a bonus with my last order from his Etsy store. This pipe is Gorgeous! I love the bamboo shank and the Dublin bowl, they just go together perfectly. This pipe has a twin bore mouthpiece and makes for quite a different smoke. The smoke hits both sides of your mouth, instead of the center of your tongue. Both of these pipes smoke perfectly and I'm delighted to add them to my quickly growing collection. A huge thank you to two very gifted pipemakers. Thank you Basil Meadows! Thank you Rekamepip!:D

[​IMG][​IMG]

Longshanks, TedVig, MDaws79 and 25 others like this.
  2. Thuber88

Thuber88 Well-Known Member

By closer I meant I can drive over;)
    But its great that you are looking out after your constituents :th1:
    And WE ALL appreciate it, very much

YAPPG, Morse, rondel65 and 12 others like this.
  3. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Active Member

C&D Opening Night in a just-restored Jost quarter-bent apple.

YAPPG, Morse, rondel65 and 13 others like this.
  4. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

What else can I expect out of a guy who steals money and jumps from an airplane wearing dress shoes? :p:

YAPPG, Morse, rondel65 and 16 others like this.
  5. Thuber88

Thuber88 Well-Known Member

Finishing off the last Crumbs, of last nights bowl of Reverie, then off for a while:eek:, but I will be back to catch up soon enough

YAPPG, User4408, Morse and 15 others like this.
  6. JimInks

Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend in a 1980s smooth slight bend Wally Frank Dublin, see. Myeah! Mess with me, you mugs, and ya'll get what da Highstump got, see.

Indians are leading the Red Sox 3-2 in the 5th, and the O's lead the Jays 6-3 in the 8th. The Braves and Mets will finish the rain game, which was tied at 5 all in the 8th, before playing tonight's game, and Vin Scully and the Dodgers are on the XM at 7:15.

YAPPG, User4408, Morse and 18 others like this.
  7. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

FVF in a Davorin Morta Billiard with ice tea on the side.

YAPPG, User4408, Morse and 19 others like this.
  8. dBear

dBear Active Member

Started out with Carter Hall in a bent Legend. Tasted so good, I'm gonna do it again but in the black rock cob. Good morning!

9. dBear

dBear Active Member

Now, exactly WHY is it that more women don't smoke pipes? These pipes would be pretty with any feminine face.

YAPPG, User4408, Morse and 16 others like this.
  10. p120d16y

p120d16y Active Member

The Pirate Kake is actually hitting the spot, I've been smoking so much Virginia.

YAPPG, User4408, Morse and 15 others like this.
  11. BernardLerring

BernardLerring Active Member

A wee dram of Bull's Eye while deciding what film to watch next. Choices, choices...

YAPPG, Morse, psquared and 14 others like this.
  12. furious

furious Junque collector

Jim, if you have a minute, how about a quick review of Little Caesar's favorite?? Always wondered about that one.

highstump, YAPPG, Morse and 13 others like this.
  13. dBear

dBear Active Member

Little known fact: The original name of this blend was Buffalo Breaking Wind, but the marketing boys didn't like it. You read it on the internet, so you know it's true.

YAPPG, psquared, surlysoul and 13 others like this.
  14. fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo Active Member

A wee bit of AoTM in the MM Diplomat whilst I await the pizza dough to rise and I bake it on the pizza stone in the oven as it's chilly and raining, last of the coffee for the day on the side.

15. fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo Active Member

Great combination! :th1:

YAPPG, Morse, surlysoul and 6 others like this.
  16. fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo Active Member

Both of those are special! :gjob: to our PSF brethren!

YAPPG, Morse, psquared and 11 others like this.
  17. Tsal

Tsal Well-Known Member

Orlik in the fancy cobs with a fancy pic to boot.
    [​IMG]

YAPPG, User4408, Morse and 21 others like this.
  18. ruffinogoldswife

ruffinogoldswife The Mayor's Wife

Why thank you, Dbear. I'll tell you it's been tough to find pipes that fit a woman's face. Most pipes are made for men. Very few pipemakers have women in mind when they make pipes. I have to look for pipes that have elegant lines or graceful curves. Swooping bents are great, nice medium sized bowls are good. Nothing too big or bulky.:D

YAPPG, User4408, Morse and 19 others like this.
  19. JimInks

I, along with fellow PSFer's Thuber and Ruffinogold, wrote reviews of it at TobaccoReviews.com. Here's what I had to say:

I'm surprised at the reviewers who say this blend bites their tongues. It doesn't do that to me or the friends I shared a sample with from a newly opened tub. If you're a fast puffer, I guess darn near anything will cause tongue bite. But EGR doesn't if you go at a normal pace. As for it having a flat taste, well, nobody I know who has actually smoked it thinks that. Either it was smoked bone dry, or the smoke never entered the mouth of the reviewer.

I was surprised by the strong aroma of the freshly open tub. It was off putting at first, but then I gave it another sniff, and realized it was the whiskey (?) casing I was smelling. Now, whenever I open it up, I enjoy the smell, which is slightly reminiscent of the smell I get from fresh Painter Hills, and faintly akin to SWRA (must be the liquor casing). The room note is pleasant, and passes the wife test. The taste is a little sweet, but not coyingly so. I barely notice what latakia is here, so I suppose it's just a light condiment to give it a slight "oompf." The cavendish is not strong, but I taste a little sweetness from it, and I can see it in the tub, even though some claim there's none there. There's too many black pieces in here not to have some cavendish, because there's no chance all those black pieces are latakia or this would be a lat-bomb, and it isn't. I get the burley taste fairly well, and notice just a little Virginia. I also notice a plum note or two that reminds me of MacBaren's Plumcake in a minor way. Burns well and evenly, and has a little nic kick to it. No goop.

It is indeed a mild aro with a very pleasing taste. It's not a great, all-time classic tobacco, but it certainly doesn't deserve the one star ratings some "reviewers" have given it. It might be a little of an acquired taste to some, but I have come to enjoy it quite a bit, and find it quite addictive. For me, it was enjoyment at first puff. When I'm not smoking it, I occasionally am thinking I need a smoke a bowl. Why it's virtually unknown today is puzzling as it is still in production. But Robinson himself is largely forgotten today, so why not his tobacco, too, in this day of "only NOW counts?" One online retailer told me that he wasn't going to carry it because of the negative reviews here. I suppose I can't blame him, though I gave him my opinion, and suggested he give it a try. Okay, it's not a nirvana smoke - what is, really? - but it's on par with several other OTCs: better than some, worse than others, depending on your palate. I'm going to keep this around because I like it.

Hope that helps. Iwan Reis and Mars Cigars carries it. I told the Sutliff rep they should also make a smaller 1.5 ounce tin of it so people wouldn't have to make such a monetary investment just to try it. I hope they listen.

Edit: I forgot to mention there have been a couple of threads about it in the Pipe Smokers forum if you care to check them out.

YAPPG, Morse, psquared and 13 others like this.
  20. JimInks

Finished the EGR, and am now smoking FVF in a small 1982 three quarter bend meer with a smiling turbaned Turk's head. I was going to smoke some SJF, but it needs to dry a little first. Indians are leading the Red Sox 4-3 in the 7th. I'm drinking Simply Lemonade and still working.

YAPPG, User4408, Morse and 13 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.