What Are You Smoking? May, 2013

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by jpberg, May 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YAPPG

YAPPG Active Member

Atom, have you ever watched your avatar paint? I did several years ago and learned alot about oil painting with a fan brush. His shows were always inspiring.

Atom, Lucky Duck, surlysoul and 12 others like this.
  2. Rickpal14

Rickpal14 Member

Iwan Ries Gourmet English in a Savinelli Estella Oom Paul

Lucky Duck, surlysoul, CaKy and 15 others like this.
  3. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

Good evening, folks. Having some '06 Telegraph Hill in a Squatch.

A bit muggy here, but not too bad. 71˚F (22˚C), 59%RH, NE winds at 5 mph. Reading some P.G. Wodehouse.

4. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

Just lit up a bowl of Angler's Dream in a 2013 medium bend Spillproof corndog cob. Coyote's buddy sure makes a good pipe.

5. Brian Stephen

Brian Stephen Member

HU Director's Cut in a Peterson Spigot

6. Stravinsky

Stravinsky Member

No insomnia pipe tonight: I have the kids.

Having some insomnia milk instead. Not really the same . . .

7. Mount Mandolin

Alright, another bowl. This time, Coniston Cut Plug in a cob, courtesy of Lakemaster SouthBound. I wouldn't say I'm a G&H fanboy just yet, but I may be well on my way. This stuff is tasty, despite what seems to me to be a heavy amount of Lake sauce. What makes G&H stuff work so well is that the tobacco that lies underneath all the sauce is of extremely high quality, and it tastes very rich. I just can't help but wonder whose idea it was to flavor tobacco with plant oils and perfume ingredients. Whoever it was came up with something brilliant, I can say that much.

Probably going to try another one once this bowl is burned up. I've got quite a few to choose from.

8. Stravinsky

Stravinsky Member

Which Wodehouse? Just finished "Young Men in Spats" a couple weeks ago. Priceless.

9. Mount Mandolin

Psmith, Journalist. Wodehouse was a genius. And I'd like to be a print journalist one day, if the profession survives, so I love reading stories about what it was like way back when. Everything Jeeves and Wooster is excellent as well, of course.

10. Stravinsky

Stravinsky Member

I've never read any of of the Psmith (pronounced "Smith," IIRC) books. But I bet they are great. The libraries here don't have any, unfortunately. I've read all the Wooster and Jeeves and Mr. Mulliner. Great stuff!

Edit: Have you read Waugh's "Scoop"? A classic comic novel about journalism from back in the day.

11. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

Great day of smoking! This morning, as I posted it was Steven Books First pipe in a Sav Opera Billiard.

Then it was Three Nuns from '98 in a Cellini Slightly Bent Billiard. This was the first time with this blend. Outstanding! 15 years made it sweet and the spice was still there. Truly Amazing! My favorite VaPer is Telegraph Hill but I could see this being my favorite if it was still made the same. Of course I have not had 15 year old Telegraph Hill. My oldest tin is from 2006 but I haven't opened it yet. The open tin I am smoking from is from 2010.

Then it was Steven Books Canadian Maple in a GBD New Standard Billiard. Terrific! A beautiful aromatic. Not goopy at all and not overpowering sweet. A good amount of tobacco flavor. Perfect for my tastes as I do not like overly sweet, goopy aro's. But the maple flavor was there.

After that I delved into Latakia, Chief Catoonah's Princes Street in a Davorin Morta Bent Half Tulip. I am absolutely in love with this blend! Smokey and it has a sweetnes to it. It is also earthy. Somehow he makes it seem like it is many years old!

I just finished a bowl of Stonehaven in a Dunhill Group 5 Tanshell bulldog. This batch is from '09 and is smoking fabulous!

Morse, psquared, MDaws79 and 19 others like this.
  12. Thuber88

Thuber88 Well-Known Member

David writes comics as well? oh brother:rolleyes:

13. Mount Mandolin

Shamefully, no, I haven't read Scoop. I fully intend to. I like Waugh, overall, so I'm sure I will enjoy that one.

psquared, MDaws79, Lucky Duck and 8 others like this.
  14. dwpipes

dwpipes Sales Account

An aromatic custom blend courtesy of pipes2relax in a reject churchwarden. Got started on a couple of custom briars and a maple for a client today, but then sat back to watch some Sci Fi reruns. Time to call it a night.

Morse, psquared, Lucky Duck and 16 others like this.
  15. Thuber88

Rest well Don, you've had a busy day:)

Morse, psquared, Lucky Duck and 7 others like this.
  16. JimInks

Finished a long and intensive work day, but I made good progress. Treating myself now to FVF in a small 1982 three quarter bend meer with a smiling turbaned Turk's head. I usually smoke this tobacco earlier in the day, but it seemed like a good time to have a full flavor Virginia taste. Ice water for my drink. Now to read a few box scores as I'm listening to the XM Bob Hope Channel Memorial Week Channel as they play non-stop Hope shows at military camps.

Morse, MDaws79, Lucky Duck and 15 others like this.
  17. dBear

dBear Active Member

Baker Street USA (thanks, SurlySoul) in the PSF POY2013 because I have to get back to work and this thing clenches so well. Dinner turned out to be beans 'cause they were already made.

Morse, psquared, SidStavros and 15 others like this.
  18. JimInks

Maybe my last smoke before bed: Virginia Spice in an unbranded late '70s Charatan smooth Billiard. More ice water for me and wet food for Suzy and Molly. More box scores to read.

Morse, psquared, Lucky Duck and 13 others like this.
  19. Thuber88

Some Orliks Golden, with a pinch of Walnut, in the GBD/Comoy Zulu, and ice tea, up to episode 9 of Heroes

Morse, psquared, Lucky Duck and 14 others like this.
  20. pacificflows

pacificflows Member

Just had a small bowl of Nightcap with some chamomile in the cup. Nice tranquilizer right there.

Finished a tin of Blackwoods the other day out of a bowl that was far bigger than I gave it credit for. Really nice citrus-ey flavor that was almost too much. By the dottle, it had calmed down, but wow. I stood up out of that chair after about an hour and a half and had a really bad nicotine experience. Left me reeling and fighting vomiting. Last time I underestimate that pipe again.

Will be trying out Jackknife Plug and Drama Reserve next week. High hopes!

Morse, psquared, SidStavros and 17 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.