What Are You Smoking? May, 2013

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by jpberg, May 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

I've seen Arlo in concerts many times. He's always great, and as you said, very underrated. If you go to www.arlo.net and click on the "Live Shows" icon on the left, you can download several free audio concerts of his. In my opinion, Arlo's better in concert than he is when making studio albums.

Speaking of Reuben Camzo:

And if you've never heard Arlo sing This Land is Your Land and tell The Story of Joseph, you have to see this if you want a good laugh or two.

No, I'm not smoking Shortcut to Mushrooms, but I am deciding on my next smoke; it'll be legal pipe tobacco.

2. User4408

User4408 Active Member

The Wodehouse world was ridiculous, but always quite proper. That's why I like the following, taken from a letter to Guy Bolton:

Two clergymen in a drawing room, the first doing a crossword puzzle:​

First clergyman: "Hmm ... clue is 'Appertaining to the female sex'. I've got the last letters right ... u.n.t."​

Second: "aunt"​

First: "Ah, yes, of course. Would you mind lending me your eraser for a moment, my dear fellow."​

PA in a Lovat ...

3. Thuber88

Thuber88 Well-Known Member

Yes the Clamzo song, it was part of his special in the 70's
    Always liked his version of the city of new orleans!

4. Thuber88

Always enjoyed the Jeeves and Wooster books, and have the programs as well:)

5. Summit

Summit Live Simply.

I have trying a bunch of stuff I brought home from the show and decided tonight I wanted simple. CH in a MM Gent.

6. Stravinsky

Stravinsky Member

LOL!!!

7. user3221

user3221 Active Member

C&D #143 whiskey cavendish

in bulldog

8. jdto

jdto Well-Known Member

Reporting back:

It was a fine evening of pipe smoking. Opinions, stories, pipes and lots of smoking, along with a few pints of Guinness. I tried McC Christmas Cheer from 2007 in my Altinok LVC, some nice age SG Skiff in the BST Bent Potand some Pease Stonehenge Flake in the BST Bulldog (wow...good stuff!). I also smoked some Dunhill Flake to kick the evening off (also in the Bulldog). I saw my first ever real life Mike Parks pipe and it is amazing. The guy is out of this world in terms of craftsmanship. We also had our own local Canadian pipemaker whose brand is called Gio and the proprietor of pipes2smoke.com was with us (Max). He's been at this for a long time and had some nice stories to tell.

All in all , it was nice to sit and smoke pipes and geek out on pipe talk. I look forward to next month's gathering.

9. JimInks

I got to see Arlo sing Clamzo once, and he always sings City of New Orleans at his concerts. I got to meet him once and he was rather quiet, but very cool. If you don't have the cd 32 Cents Postage Due, you should. Arlo and the Dillards sing Woody Guthrie songs. Here's an outake:

I decided to smoke 2008 Edgeworth Ready Rubbed (thanks to Highstump) in a very much appreciated 1979 brown, slight bend grain etched flat front Stanwell Rego 969-48 (09). I sure enjoy this tobacco. Drinking ice tea and reading various things.

10. JimInks

I see the peanut gallery has gotten quiet. Well, I'll shell out what I'm smoking, which is Dunbar in a 2002 carmel colored medium bend paneled sandbasted Rinaldo Egea Megas 04. A big pipe with a cool smoke. More ice tea and planning on reading some box scores.

11. Ephraim

Ephraim Active Member

About to wrap up the day with some SWR in a MM Washington bent w/straight stem. (For some odd reason I like to put straight stems on bent pipes.)
    Its a nice cool evening here in the mountains, should be good sleeping weather.

Hope you all have a very good night!
    :puffy:

12. Thuber88

Was yakking with a friend from the far east, fought my way through that last bowl, and was having a touch of chips and salsa, gearing up for a another battle with the tarantula in a different pipe, hoping for a better victory than last time, that was a draw at best:oops:

13. Albert

Albert Active Member

C&D Three Friars in a Savinelli Canadian...

14. gentimmy

gentimmy Active Member

just got back from the bar, SWR with some Mississippi moonshine on the side. Met my wife tonight. I know because she didn't let me take her home but demanded my number and a date. Consider me whipped, boys

15. JimInks

Now smoking Angler's Dream in a smooth 1998 Parker 489 three quarter bend Billiard. This tobacco doesn't do well in some pipes, but it works well for me in the Parker.

16. gentimmy

gentimmy Active Member

17. Stravinsky

Stravinsky Member

Good luck! She may be a keeper.

18. LostDog13

LostDog13 Yes, I'm a New World Samurai

Closed out cake day with some Peterson Irish Flake in the 2013 St. Patty's. hoping to sneak in a bowl at lunch.

19. JimInks

My final smoke of the day/night/morning is Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend in a 1982 black sandblasted paneled slight bend Savinelli flat bottom sitter.

20. MikeInMaine

MikeInMaine Passes for human

Full Virginia Flake in a Whitehall bulldog.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.