What Are You Smoking? May, 2013

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by jpberg, May 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marker

Marker Active Member

Figured it out from one of the videos psquared linked. I stuffed the flake in bent side up. Not sure why it didn't burn just as well but I will try it the other way soon. Normally I break it up to smoke it. Was in a hurry and did the bend and stuff method.

Side note: Need to get a pipe lighter. Using matches while driving isn't as cool as it looks in the movies...

2. fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo Active Member

Well after drinking 2 cups of the drelk they pass off as coffee I'm home and have a large china mug of Khave strong and black with half of a wonderful navel orange and smoking Troost Special Cavendish in the Lobnik.

Bottom pipe.

[​IMG]

3. User4408

User4408 Active Member

I'll join you, YAPPG. Some PA in a Wilke Lovat ...

[​IMG]

This is a batch from 2006: a bit smoother perhaps. But The Prince is The Prince. A nice, simple, enjoyable smoke no matter when it comes from.

The Lovat is a freebie from Carol at P & W, a consolation prize for having to wait on an order of Nut Brown Burley. This pipe is a treasure: 31 grams and a prize smoker. The chamber just got a full ream and alcohol swab. Sweet as a nut. And the Prince is doing a splendid job rebuilding the cake.

Speaking of PA, here's an interesting bit of trivia, again concerning Wodehouse. He didn't get out of France fast enough in 1940, and so became a prisoner of war. Not a pleasure cruise exactly. But he did manage to get this card off to a friend:

[​IMG]

So, one pound of Prince Albert and four pounds of nut chocolate per month were his priorities. Those poor non pipe smokers out there would have a difficult time understanding this, wouldn't they?

4. YAPPG

YAPPG Active Member

Interesting note. I wonder how many "Caretakers" enjoyed his tobacco with him. I suspect a few did.

5. ShilohHollow

ShilohHollow Anchors Aweigh

McClelland Frog Morton on the Town in a Bjarne.

2013-05-09_09.41.39.jpg

6. Waino

Waino Active Member

Orlik Golden Sliced in a Peterson 314. Raining and shining, rainbows. Spring. +17C/62,6F.

7. Longshanks

Longshanks He who shall; so shall he... wait, who?

Beautiful blue skies in Charlotte, NC. I had a leisurely sit on the patio this morning with a cob full of SWR.

[​IMG]

Then went for a walk with the Vendome full of PA. Did I mention the beautiful blue skies?

[​IMG]

8. ShilohHollow

Who made the top pipe?

Jack Wagon, surlysoul, dBear and 5 others like this.
  9. fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo Active Member

That is by Michael Lindner smoked that one earlier today so when I posted the photo I figured I might as well smoke the bottom pipe next.

10. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

McClelland Blackwoods Flake, billiard, hot tea w/cream and sugar.

11. User4408

User4408 Active Member

From what he reports, his captors treated him well. Some had even read and enjoyed his books. But conditions could be extremely harsh and cold, particularly transport and intermediate internment facilities.

A number of prisoners couldn't take it and committed suicide. Wodehouse made it his mission in life to boost morale and spirits by telling jokes and amusing stories.

And he was just shy of 60 years old when all this was taking place, coming from a life of notoriety and privilege. An outstanding example of toughness IMHO.

Still baking a cake with PA in the Lovat ...

12. fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo Active Member

For JimInks and all those baseball fans, Abbott & Costello predicted this!

[​IMG]

13. Wicker Man

Wicker Man Active Member

14. Old Codger

Old Codger Well-Known Member

Trying to get everything back together here, but a severe clear blue sky and a warm breeze off the rocks keeps dragging me outside. Painter Hills in a Peterson 80s, more coffee, and a warm chair out in the sun requires my immediate occupancy. +16C(61F)H34%

15. fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo Active Member

AJ's Vapers in the Rolf Baginski poker chip stack with bamboo strip inlays with a cuppa black on the side.

[​IMG]

16. psquared

psquared DGErwin, my horse would like a word with you...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Jost Regent. Heading outdoors.

17. jhguthlac

jhguthlac Active Member

The old heart was acting up last night and this morning, so stayed home today. Only one pipe so far (and its noon already): MB Plum Cake in a mm CG. Teddi the dogter is sound asleep beside me & snoring.

18. Basil Meadows

Basil Meadows Active Member

Hope you get to feeling better soon! Be careful what your dogter tells ya, sometimes it can be ruff! Enjoying a bowl of SWRAro in a Rock Cob.

19. gentimmy

gentimmy Active Member

My fault, I imbibed a bit much last night.

Ham, egg, and cheese biscuit then some SWR while I study for my LAST FINAL

20. ShilohHollow

The Bjarne was a bit much to clench while working so I switched to a little Gentle Art of Smoking pipe that Cup O Joes sold a few years back loaded with Best Brown Flake rolled up with some Black Irish X. a little easier on the teeth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.