What are you smoking? November 2013

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Hofnar, Nov 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. user3221

user3221 Active Member

19 degrees outside
    but enjoying a warm cup of coffee and a bowl of velvet in my pipe
    velvets.JPG

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
    dBear, PyrateMate, jdto and 23 others like this.
  2. User4408

User4408 Active Member

A 50/50 mix of bulk Mac Baren Va. No. 1 and Mac Baren 7 Seas Black Blend ...

[​IMG]

This is good. Really really good. Each tobacco repairs the shortcomings of the other. Together they produce a slow burning blend of exceptional flavor and aroma. The snork is so good that a Dr. Who storyline could be based on it ... vintage Tom Baker, of course. There's a delicate buzz on the nose and palate similar to clove or cinnamon, but so soft and mellow that you can repeat it endlessly. My wife lingered in the room in a cheerful mood ... that means it smells good too. Here's what the two tobaccos look like combined ...

[​IMG]

Credit goes to Rekamepip for the inspiration on this one. He sent me some of his blending notes, and that kick started my brain. The 7 Seas Black is too boring and flat on its own, but it does have an excellent aroma dimension. The spicy, bright quality of Va. No. 1 is the perfect cure for that. And the beautiful aroma of 7SB is the perfect complement to the other's rather austere nature. And both are pure Virginia, which helps to explain why the snork is so rich and mellow. The effect on the palate is totally refreshing, like eating apples and pears.

I normally wouldn't use this percentage of black cavendish, but the Va. No. 1 is such a heavy hitter than even small amounts of it make a big footprint. For the present, a 50/50 mix seems just about right. Also, MB Black Ambrosia might work equally well in place of 7SB. I'm even thinking that a 5% addition of latakia (or perique) might give it a real air of mystery, but I don't want to rush things.

Economical too. This is a 2.5 hour smoke in the 316 EX. Both tobaccos are in the standard line, and available in bulk at prices less than American OTC pipe tobaccos.

dBear, jdto, SidZiff and 22 others like this.
  3. Baccy Bert

Baccy Bert Member

Kentucky Nougat in the morning Diplomat. French coffee by the bucketload. Reading week at uni and a big US Slave Narrative essay to tackle today so the big bowl clenchers will be getting a run out.

dBear, jdto, fishnbanjo and 17 others like this.
  4. Hofnar

Hofnar Active Member

Morning bowl was Paul Olsen My Own Blend 111 (rubbed out) in a little bent Bizon. PG Tips. On my balcony. Later I enjoyed some Mac B Dark Twist Roll Cake in a sandblasted Zavvos billiard. Maxwell House. On the balcony. Two just about perfect smokes!

5. Huby Springer

Huby Springer Active Member

Having another go at Ennerdale Flake in the MM Legend.

6. CptBeefheart

CptBeefheart Member

I just assumed that was your dad and you put the pic up in honor of him for veterans day. Who is that guy then?

7. Artistik

Artistik Active Member

This morning I had a bowl of SWR in a Falcon with hot coffee on the ride in to work. It's 37 *F in North Florida with sustained winds at 25MPH. Not a pipe smoking day outside so I will be vapin. May get to finish the Falcon at lunch in the car. At least it ill be sunny in the Sunshine State.

8. tdog

tdog Member

Took the dog for a nice long walk not a bad day in Doncaster UK .sun shinning for a change . came back and had a bowl of bagpipers dream in the polo .

9. 5H4N3

5H4N3 Active Member

PS Balkan Supreme in the modefied Carey Meer.
    Black coffee along for the ride.

10. zappano

zappano Member

After Lunch it´s time to have a Bier Plug in a Winslow
    [​IMG]

dBear, jdto, sillyoldbear and 16 others like this.
  11. rondel65

rondel65 Misplaces Lighters

Quick bowl of Margate in a London Made Squat Tomato on this cold Wednesday morning. Waking up to 34 degrees. That will put a extra pep in your step round these parts. Y'all have a great day!

12. Lucky Duck

Lucky Duck Active Member

Time for bowl No. 2, and P.R. walkabout. I'm having PS LTF in my MM Egg, with complimentary coffee. Puff on PSFers!

13. psquared

psquared DGErwin, my horse would like a word with you...

Good morning all. Plum Cake in the egg. 4 inches of flaky white stuff overnight and a brisk 25°. Stoking the fire with some black coffee. Have a good day everybody.

14. Texhealer

Texhealer Active Member

20 degrees here this morning, no windows open last night! Started early morning with a bowl of Proper English in a Roma author, now after breakfast smoke is OGS in my little Sav dry system, first p-lip I've ever liked and it's a flake burning machine. I'm about to start the second pot o coffee.

15. CptBeefheart

CptBeefheart Member

Cold cold cold here and to top it off I've got a cold. I haven't been smoking much, that's for sure. I do think I'll have something light on my drive to work. Probably Carter Hall in my Marxman rhodesian (thanks to the very kind Holymolar).

16. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Melorning all. First day of
    a four day weekend. Love
    long weekends!! Starting
    today off with something
    easy, CH in the Falcob.

Oh, and it's time to rock:
    [​IMG]

dBear, zappano, jdto and 20 others like this.
  17. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

Good Morning,
    Steven Books First Pipe in a Castello Great Line Dublin with black coffee.

Happy Smoking,
    Paul

18. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Pipesimo has a program that can age a photo , I take it . I like it and think it's cool but then after a day or two , when I'd look at it , I got this weird headtrip like that was what I really looked like , cause I can see myself in it ..... very freaky .. lol

Man , it's cold ! Smoked a MM Legend / MB GE on the way back from dropping the kids at school . I could really go for another bowl but I don't want to go out there . It's not that I'm a wuss , it just takes a few days for me to adjust . I really dig winter , it just came a bit early is all

dBear, PyrateMate, jdto and 17 others like this.
  19. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

Sugar Barrel in a Carey pocket pipe/coffee,Ruff it takes me a few days to get use to it as well.

20. inkybat

inkybat Active Member

Are you on the west coast? Otherwise your hours are making this cartoonist feel like a horrible slacker! :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.