What are you smoking? November 2013

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Hofnar, Nov 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smarty Jones

Smarty Jones Active Member

Congrats to Lucky Duck on joining the 2000 club. :toast: Nothing like a good beer buzz in the morning, especially when the beer is dark and the morning chilly.

Unfortunately I have to go work this morning where they frown on morning beer buzzes so I'm having coffee and Peterson Gold in a 221.

2. User4408

User4408 Active Member

A mixture of Mac Baren Golden Extra, Va. No. 1, and 7 Seas Black Blend in a straight MM Pride ...

[​IMG]

All this talk about Golden Extra on WAYS and the Blind Review thread had me salivating. GE is a luscious tobacco, with its soft mellow nuttiness. I seem to prefer it to the London Burley which has a deeper, darker, and more chocolate flavor. But in both cases, that burley aroma is one of the most fantastic things on the planet.

Being a Virginia hound, straight burley starts tasting bland to me after about 15 minutes. So I decided to fortify the GE with a little Va. No. 1. Only a little, though, because the VN1 is a heavy hitter and will dominate a blend if you're not careful. So it was about 1 part VN1 to 3 parts GE. Then I took a tip from an old mentor of mine, Ellis Milan of Milan Tobacconists in Roanoke Virginia. He recommended SMALL amounts of black cavendish to give spice and perfume to blends. An amount small enough to be barely detectable ... around 5 to 10%. So I did that, and here's what the blend looks like

[​IMG]

My goodness this stuff is delicious. And satisfying. And the snork is way better than a straight burley. The BC is like magic. It gives a very slight but constant lift to the aroma. Ellis was a genius. He gave me that advice in the late 60's, when the Danish style BC was first appearing and people usually went overboard with it because it smelled good and didn't bite. Ellis was the creator of the world famous Rovada, named by his daughter as a compression of Roanoke-Virginia-Daddy. The best thing about growing up in Roanoke was Milan Tobacconists. Without a doubt.

3. Lucky Duck

Lucky Duck Active Member

Thank you. Avast!...or something like that. Your kindness exceeds my expectations of that of a Pyrate.

Melorning everyone! the pick-up is warming up. Almost time to leave for work. I'm smoking Peter Stockabye Luxury Navy Flake in my MM CG w/Forever Stem. I've had my first coffee of the day from the large brown mug. Puff on!

4. Lucky Duck

Lucky Duck Active Member

Thanks, Smarty!

5. Smarty Jones

Smarty Jones Active Member

Smarty's Special Blend - GE, 5100 and some Perique.:th1:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  6. SidStavros

SidStavros Active Member

I was ready to ask where are our Female members when i saw Kayla posting, OK but where is Ms. Ruffinogoldswife? [​IMG]

Kayla, PyrateMate, dBear and 16 others like this.
  7. Wicker Man

Wicker Man Active Member

[​IMG] 2,000
    [​IMG]
    How many cups of Produce row free Coffee's is that ?

SidZiff, SidStavros, dBear and 15 others like this.
  8. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Sorry to hear your
    Python died, slim.

9. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Happy Thursday,

A bit milder this morning, 33F, and the air is much drier than it has been for a few days.

Earlier I finished off last night's Castello full of Brown Flake, and loaded up a Ser Jacopo (for this evening) with the remainder of the BF that was in my pouch. There were only 8 or 9 flakes left in that particular BF jar, so I guess I'll work at finishing them off. They are only a couple of years old, but have the most lovely coating of sugar on them that you'd ever want to see, the texture is almost like coarse sandpaper. I'll try to get a photo this evening.

highstump, dBear, fishnbanjo and 19 others like this.
  10. Wicker Man

Wicker Man Active Member

cheers :toast: YAPPG You're Driving
    [​IMG]

dBear, fishnbanjo, PipeSimmo and 14 others like this.
  11. Wicker Man

Wicker Man Active Member

[​IMG]

12. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Congrats lucky on the
    2K mark!

Melorning everyone.
    Loading some Balkan
    Sobranie in the usual
    Lat burner to start my
    day. The wind has died
    down so I should be out
    all day turning. We shall
    see if that will be true
    or not.

dBear, PipeSimmo, rondel65 and 13 others like this.
  13. Ephraim

Ephraim Active Member

Good morning :)
    Another cold morning here in the Blue Ridge foothills, 29 degrees and clear.

Just started my first cup of coffee, and my first bowl of the day: Middleton's Cherry Blend in a MM Legend bent. :puffy:

14. rondel65

rondel65 Misplaces Lighters

Quick taste of Squadron Leader in a Pete Kildare on another cold Texas morning. Enjoying my second cup of coffee bout to start getting ready for work. Congrats Lucky Duck on that 2k post!

15. LutzSpearo

LutzSpearo Member

Haven't posted here in a while, but still smoking everyday. Tonight inspired me to post, right now I'm smoking Silver Flake in a pretty Sav 2012 Christmas Pipe (bent acorn?) and it's the sweetest this flake has ever tasted, absolutely incredible! It's like a whole different flake right now, delicious!

dBear, fishnbanjo, PipeSimmo and 15 others like this.
  16. Artistik

Artistik Active Member

Good Morning! Starting a cool (38*F) North Floorida morning with hot black coffee and a Falcon filled with OJK. I wanted a heavy hitter perique this morning for some reason. However, after about 3 weeks in a ziplock baggie, it appears Old Joe mellowed some. That's not a bad thing and the vitamin N that I needed was not impaired.

17. user3221

user3221 Active Member

some riff in the walnut volcano
    100_3290.JPG

PyrateMate, SidZiff, dBear and 23 others like this.
  18. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

Good Morning,
    Steven Books First Pipe in a Davorin Morta Bent Egg with black coffee for the ride in.

Happy Smoking,
    Paul

19. YAPPG

YAPPG Active Member

Besides Old Codger, where the heck is dBear?
    Up too early this morning. Smoking some Bayou Morning in a Falcon. Pg tips tea in the mug. Puff if ya can and snuff when you can't. Got some F & T Bordeaux in the snozz , right now.

20. BernardLerring

BernardLerring Active Member

Congrats to LuckyDuck for joining the 2k post high club.

Currently squeezing in some Badgers Rectum in a small lovat basket briar hoping this internet order turns up soon so I don't have to rely on my scragends.

dBear, fishnbanjo, PipeSimmo and 15 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.