1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

What are you smoking? November 2013

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Hofnar, Nov 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CptBeefheart

CptBeefheart Member

Most of my time on Elk has been spent south of 90. Smaller crowds, nice scenery and I've always liked the Nun Hole. Last year I had one of my best fishing experiences ever near an old trestle south of 90 on Elk. Tryin to decide if I should recount the whole tale here, but perhaps I will..it's a pretty good story.

But first, since I got the first round of work done and I'll take a break to pack up my Rossi with some Escudo. The Rossi has been a bit neglected since the new pipes have arrived and I just got a new tin of Escudo, so time to finish the old one off.

So, the story is this: It was late in the steelhead season and I was up in Erie on Elk Creek for the second day in a row after a very rough season of steelheading for me. I'd been out about five times without catching anything. The day before I did manage to get the skunk off and caught a little hen, but I wasn't satisfied. I needed one of the bulls. I geared up, headed into the stream and about five minutes in I saw a guy about 100 yards down from me (we were the only two on the stream) land into what looked like a huge fish. Sure enough, it was. I watched him land it and then went back to my fishing thinking that today would be my day too.

The next thing I knew, I heard splashing and I looked over to see the guy charging towards me, upstream, and he'd even left his rod behind. I thought, "What the hell did I do to this guy?" He seemed pissed and I just stood there frozen as I watched him get closer not sure what I'd have to deal with. Then the guy yells, "Hey! You!" And me: "What do you want?!" Getting closer, he shouts, "You gotta help me! I got hooked real bad!" And I just mutter...oh crap, why me?

He made his way to me and sure enough he had a sucker spawn, an egg pattern, stuck deep into the soft of his hand between his thumb and forefinger. Without saying anything, he hands both ends of a stretch of monofilament, the loop wrapped around the bend of the hook, and says, "Just yank real hard". I asked him if he wanted me to count three and he said, "I don't give a crap, just do it!" So, I counted three, closed my eyes, heard him sigh and say under his breath "this is gonna suck..." and I yanked as hard as I could. Sure enough, that fly popped right out, but his hand was bleeding all over the place. He just dipped it in the water, washed off the blood and thanked me. It was just then that I noticed he didn't have a regular fishing license; he was a guide.

So, I said, "hey how about you help me out now. I just saw you catch that big steelie back there. What's working?" So, he popped open his fly box, gave me a little caddis with a red jelly-rope body and said, "Put that on. I guarantee it." And then I watched him walk away. So, I walked about 100 yards upstream nearer to the trestle, put that fly on and on the first cast sure enough BAM! I hooked into a huge one! I fought that big boy in and felt so good. Then I cast another time, and a second time and on that cast I hooked one that felt even bigger. Sure enough, the line broke and that was that.

On Saturday, you can be sure my box will be full of those little red caddis and one is going on my line first thing!

2. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

I'm smoking FVF in a small 1982 three quarter bend meer with a smiling turbaned Turk's head. I just learned of the passing of Shirley Mitchell, who played many roles in her long, long acting career. She was Leila Ramson, girl friend of The Great Gildersleeve, Alice Darling in Fibber McGee and Molly, among hundreds and hundreds of other roles in radio, television, and movies, including I Love Lucy, Petticoat Junction, Green Acres, etc. She was a really good actress and a sweet person, and passed away yesterday at age 94. RIP, Shirley.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/i-love-lucy-actress-shirley-mitchell-dies-655779

Here she is in 1993 talking about her role on The Great Gildersleeve with Willard Waterman, who played Gildersleeve after Hal Peary quit the role:

3. zacROK

zacROK Member

Been busy the last few days setting up interviews and registering for classes. Enjoyed a bowl of my leftover burly blend this morning before work. My co-worker called me to tell me I had a package waiting for me at work. Found a box with 8oz of Ps Luxury Bullseye Flake. Got home and set a few coins aside wile I had dinner and finished up some household chores and got into a bowl of it in my Sav Standing Billiard. It was still a bit wet but a very relaxing smoke after a long day. Now I am off to bed. Got to get up early and be busier than normal again tomorrow.

4. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

G'mornin'

The cold came in. High around 45 today- good for cabin smoking.

GLPease Charring Cross in a 2013 Dunhill County Billiard.

*say what you will about new Dunhill's, but this is the best smoking Dunhill I own (or have owned). Sorry to blow that whole mythology. Shrugs.

5. p120d16y

p120d16y Active Member

I see everyone is picking on the mayor?

I just finished up some Squadron Leader in my Leonessa Briosa rusticated apple. Think I'm going to fire up some LTF in the black rock cob.

You guys know why I don't post any pictures of myself now!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  6. JimInks

Then how do you explain that wanted poster of you in the post office??? :laff: Nice fingerprints, too!

7. Wicker Man

Wicker Man Active Member

You need to smoke Badgers Rectum in a Beavers Arse pipe :old:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Wicker Man

Wicker Man Active Member

DGErwin11 [​IMG] on Speed, making pipes [​IMG] Sorry [​IMG]

9. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

Woke up with some dgt'd ODF in a castello. Now on to rlp6 in a stanwell. Stared up wayyyy too late working on tunes. Morning all!

10. Wicker Man

Wicker Man Active Member

[​IMG]

11. Huby Springer

Huby Springer Active Member

Out into the cold with some SWRA in the MM Legend.

12. tradewater

tradewater Member

Just had a cob of CH. Got wild and put some of the wife's hazelnut creamer in my coffee. My goodness, that worked out really, really well.

13. BernardLerring

BernardLerring Active Member

What a fantastic pipe! I'll have to get it smoked before the DEFRA man starts shooting though.

Haddo's Delight in the BC Belami

14. User4408

User4408 Active Member

I'm very sorry to hear that. My condolences.

Having just written a Python program to simulate the infamous Monty Hall Problem, I dedicate it to your deceased companion as a token of respect ...

#!/usr/bin/env python

"""mhp: Simulation of Monty Hall Problem

Dedicated to slimpickings deceased python, may it Rest In Peace
    ref. http://pipesmokersforum.com/communi...king-november-2013.33617/page-116#post-717572
    """

from sys import argv
    from random import seed, randrange

N = 1000
    if len(argv) > 1:
    N = int(argv[1])

R = W = 0
    D = [0] * 3
    seed()
    for r in range(N):
    R = R + 1
    for d in range(3):
    D[d] = 0
    D[randrange(3)] = 1
    C = randrange(3)
    G = []
    for d in range(3):
    if d <> C and D[d] == 0:
    G.append(d)
    E = G[randrange(len(G))]
    for d in range(3):
    if not d in (C, E):
    F = d
    break
    if D[F] == 1:
    W = W + 1
    print W, R

Aged Plumcake in a Peterson Sherlock Holmes Lestrade ...

15. Wicker Man

Wicker Man Active Member

:msty: :rolleyes: :whis:

16. inkybat

inkybat Active Member

Some FMOTT in the Torben Dansk. Great pipe/tobacco combination.

By the way, I caved in and ordered the Eltang Sailor pipe. The price is too good.

17. p120d16y

p120d16y Active Member

+25, Triple liked, Love button clicked for programming/scripting in Py. I didn't know you were a programmer...

18. Fr Tom

Fr Tom ora et labora

Presbyterian Mixture in a 1/4 bent Kirsten

19. JimInks

I had a delicious lunch, and I'm following that with a bowl of Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend in a 2002 IMP smooth full bend egg shaped meer. A bottle of Sprite is my drink.

20. nicktrap

nicktrap Active Member

On the front porch with a mug of strong black coffee and my breakfast blend of McC 5100/2015 in an Edwards Canadian flame grain. This blend is a perfect way to start the day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.