What are you smoking? November 2013

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Hofnar, Nov 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stormy

Stormy Resident Rain Maker

Been out and about this am. Moved in to the modern era got my old dumb ass a smart phone.
    Carried some Sutliff field master with me. Home now with a Savinelli full of #27.

2. BernardLerring

BernardLerring Active Member

Indulging in some Connoisseur's Choice in the Parker Jockey Club

3. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

I was looking around the warehouse thinking about my next smoke when the trusty Saint Bernard suggested I join him with a cigar and a cup of coffee. He forgets that the cigars are mine and not his, but he does brew a mean pot of coffee! Since we are giving the young nubiles the week off for the holidays, I decided to join him. So, I'm a moment or two away from smoking a Puros Indios Viejo Robusto. Everywhere I go, enablers lurk! :msty:

4. Miller319

Miller319 Member

I did the same thing with coffee when I was in school. I didn't smoke a pipe back then though:ccup:

5. hoss

hoss Member

Sounds like we're operating on the same frequency lately. A very satisfying pipeweed, indeed!

I'm off for a bowl of Haddo's in a new falcon, myself. Will revisit Condor a little later in the evening. ;)

6. Wicker Man

Wicker Man Active Member

Woof Woof ! :ngty:
    [​IMG]

7. Fr Tom

Fr Tom PSF Chaplain

PS Aromatic Dutch Sliced in a Peterson smooth 302 system

8. PipeSimmo

PipeSimmo Active Member

For my post dinner bowl I decided on some HU Flanagan in the Tinsky Xmas 2012 Tanblast. :bing:

[​IMG]

9. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

Afternoon, friends. Germain Brown Flake in a Dunhill Shell billiard, with some of the "good coffee" (read: expensive) on the side. I buy this coffee a half pound at a time from a local coffee roaster, and I always go in the day after it's roasted to pick it up. It's so incredibly good you can drink it black and it has a natural sweetness to it. It is just amazing. At the risk of sounding ridiculous, I will say that it has changed the way I look at coffee: drink less of it, but higher quality. The body and the taste buds sure do appreciate that.

Nice cloudy/foggy, 40˚F here, and we're actually supposed to be getting a bit of snow later in the week, according to the weather man! It isn't going to be any nice fat lake effect snow or anything, but hey, I'll take what I can get. :)

10. GlassEye

GlassEye Member

Nice cool day,C&D Chestnuts Roasting in a Brigham 118 rusticated pear,big cup of Twinings English Breakfast on the side.

11. SmokingRhino

SmokingRhino Member

MB Navy Flake in the Pete 304 system

12. CptBeefheart

CptBeefheart Member

My Savinelli Milano is going to do double-duty today. I just loaded it up with Brown Irish X rope and am going to go chill (in both senses of the word) for a while. I need strong baccy today!

13. Eric Pierson

Eric Pierson Resident Giant

Old gowrie in my dry Oscar 412 for my ride home after a great meeting with my bank.

14. User4408

User4408 Active Member

Thank you for the very kind words. This particular chunk of briar is one of my favorite smokers.

Following the Dunhill shape chart, this is No. 28, which according to them goes by the name Diplomat. It's possible that less common shape names aren't standardized, so one vendor's Banker might be another vendor's Diplomat.

[​IMG]

It's not as ball-like as an Author, and the shank is a broad flattened oval instead of round. However, nothing beats this pipe for smoking flakes and other compressed tobaccos. The broad shallow bowl gives a slow burn that's easy to manage and relight.

Former's CGF is delectable. In my experience any Virginia flake that's made in Germany has a good chance of being well above average. And CGF is no exception. The perique is added with a light hand, just enough to impart a slightly fuller character and refreshing aroma, allowing the Virginia to maintain center stage. Oddly, perique is very evident in the tin note, but not while smoking.

Fresh Superior Navy Flake in a Charatan ...

zacROK, hoss, sillyoldbear and 24 others like this.
  15. zappano

zappano Member

Hi Folks, coming from my little workshop ;)
    C&D Riverboat Gambler in a DIY Poker.
    The picture is the actual "in progress" moment from my scribble yesterday

[​IMG]

zacROK, hoss, sillyoldbear and 20 others like this.
  16. User4408

User4408 Active Member

My my, that's a beautiful pipe. The Danes are brilliant at taking an ordinary shape and making it godlike. And of course that classic shape will continue to impress no matter when and where you smoke it. Excellent choice.

Still SNF in a Charatan ...

17. Miller319

Miller319 Member

Is that the 2012 Christmas blend? I've got a tin of 2013 We Won't Go Til We Get Some, but I haven't opened it yet. Maybe break into it this weekend (after Thanksgiving is appropriate for Christmas themes, right?)

18. fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo Active Member

So far behind, nearly 300 replies, I can't begin to try and catch up, besides it isn't easy on your back using an iPad!
    Yesterday got away from me fixing a PC system then we went to a surprise birthday party for my neighbor that I never even had a goodnight pipe and I never signed off.

Got up late this morning and had two cobs filled with 965 and 4 PRM's then went walkabout where I smoked the Tsuge Tankard filled with 965, got home and busted my hump working on the cold air return duct work on the furnace and finally got it to be quiet, it took a beating 2 years ago when a lalley column let go and that section of the house dropped 1 1/4" which took me about a week to jack back into place replacing it with 2steel columns. The scary part was the house was literally held up by just the chimney and I had to readjust all the other lalley columns to pick up their portion of the load. The cold air return duct wasn't real bad last year but we got a deep freeze this year with little rain so that made a difference on where the house settled.

Managed some Dunhill Flake in the Rocking' Black Rock Cob And so to bed in it as well then I had some 965 again in the plum Forever Stemmed MM Diplomat.

I also ground coffe for the week and we'll be prepping for Thanksgiving and I have some Antique Tackle to appraise tomorrow afternoon so this will be a busy week. Hello PSFer's! :D

zacROK, hoss, dwpipes and 24 others like this.
  19. SidStavros

SidStavros Active Member

Fox dives into snow

Dear fakes death

while i am smoking: Reiner Gelb blend 12.

hoss, sillyoldbear, User4408 and 20 others like this.
  20. BernardLerring

BernardLerring Active Member

Finishing the day off with some Key Largo in the straight Falcon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.