What are you smoking? October 2013.

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Hofnar, Oct 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smarty Jones

Smarty Jones Active Member

Home plate ump made the right call. Cards up 2-1. Time for bed. As a disclaimer, my money is on the BoSox.

Lucky Duck, JWG25, Morse and 13 others like this.
  2. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

I've seen, listened, and played in maybe 10,000 baseball games in my life all told, but never saw a game, much less a World Series game, end on an obstruction call. Quite amazing!

Lucky Duck, JWG25, Morse and 14 others like this.
  3. Smarty Jones

Smarty Jones Active Member

C/3B in high school way back in the day. Catcher should have never made that throw. High risk/low reward probability. Having worn the mask, I probably would have done it myself too. Being young was great even with a mouth full of dust.

Lucky Duck, JWG25, Morse and 12 others like this.
  4. JimInks

I don't blame the catcher for making the throw, but the third baseman should have stopped that ball at all costs. Block it, catch it... you have to stop that ball. Well, stuff happens. Since I happen to be busy working, I'm listing my next smoke a few minutes early: Compton's Balkan Mixture (thanks to Flatbush Paul) in a 1949 medium bend Dunhill Shell. I'm listening to the baseball talk, of course!

Lucky Duck, JWG25, Morse and 17 others like this.
  5. Albert

Albert Active Member

A 50/50 mix of Dunhill Flake and Teds f150 burley in a Savinelli Canadian while flood irrigating the orchard.

Lucky Duck, JWG25, Morse and 15 others like this.
  6. moosecop

moosecop Member

my early morning wood is a nording freehand with Drew Estate Central Park Stroll..

7. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

Burley London blend in a huge chacom billiard.

Lucky Duck, JWG25, Morse and 17 others like this.
  8. muddler

muddler Active Member

Beautiful clear & fresh Sunday morning after storms last night. Got a family get-together for lunch today. I'm cooking a venison haunch. But right now it's FVF in a GBD apple.

[​IMG]

Lucky Duck, JWG25, Morse and 19 others like this.
  9. JimInks

Just finishing Charlemagne in the very first pipe I ever bought ($2.95) in 1974; a smooth three quarter bend Dr. Grabow Omega. Listening to the baseball fans talk on the XM is very entertaining tonight.

Lucky Duck, JWG25, Morse and 18 others like this.
  10. JimInks

Now smoking Country Doctor Match in a 1980 Stanwell 668 medium bend with a ferrule, half black sandblasted, half brown smooth, rough top. Great burley taste!

11. BernardLerring

BernardLerring Active Member

Thanks, certainly a full and frank appraisal :). Not a fan I take it?

Onto the usual business. Morning folks, can't sleep so I've had a hearty breakfast of egg bread and ground coffee and am just getting round to some Tree Mixture.

Lucky Duck, JWG25, Morse and 16 others like this.
  12. BernardLerring

BernardLerring Active Member

It's quiet this morning, everyone must be getting ready for church.

The bolognese is in the slow cooker at last so it's time for another rewarding bowlful of Tree Mixture with some ground coffee.

13. JimInks

I quit working an hour ago, and have been reading and talking on the phone. Now, I'm smoking Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend in a 1982 black sandblasted paneled slight bend Savinelli flat bottom sitter. Suzy and Molly are fed, and happy.

14. user3221

user3221 Active Member

15. fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo Active Member

On PRM #6, did the Town and Tune Tour in the SL500 and smoked Christmas Cookie #2, Squadron Leader and now the next to the last bowl of Warrior Plug all in Diplomats, hi ho PSFer's Rocktoberfest continues!

16. Wicker Man

Wicker Man Active Member

Cheers CptBeefheart Egg Cob Teddy's York-Shire Sat.mix
    [​IMG]

17. Artistik

Artistik Active Member

I'm brewing coffee and loading a PK bent apple with Louisiana Red to start the day. Miss Daisy wants to go to a movie today and I don't. We'll see who wins. Bet I know already.

18. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Hope you enjoy the show.

Cooked a ham and made up some Brussel Sprouts and Acorn squash for supper last evening. Plenty of ham left to include in this morning's Berg family breakfast.

Under loaded this twin bore with 3 x 1/4 coins of Rum Twist - hopefully three won't bring a visit from the wobblies.

[​IMG]

19. Basil Meadows

Basil Meadows Active Member

Finally caught up on my reading, 2nd bowl of CH in my cob with the last cup of Maxwell House from the pot. As cool as it is this morning (37f), might be a good day to start a 2nd pot of coffee. Good Morning All!

20. CptBeefheart

CptBeefheart Member

Very nice! I read that his favorite smoke was My Mixture 965. I like that stuff a lot, but I'm not sure I could smoke it all day every day...that's just one thing that separates him from the mortals.

I was reading The Wild Palms the other day and came across this passage which is now one of my favorites and it's fairly relevant to a pipe smoking forum:
    “I found out some time back that it’s idleness breeds all our virtues, our most bearable qualities—contemplation, equableness, laziness, letting other people alone; good digestion mental and physical: the wisdom to concentrate on fleshly pleasures—eating and evacuating and fornication and sitting in the sun—than which there is nothing better, nothing to match, nothing else in all this world but to live for the short time you are loaned breath, to be alive and know it—oh yes, she taught me that; she has marked me too forever—nothing, nothing. But it was only recently I have clearly seen, followed out the logical conclusion, that it is one of what we call the prime virtues—thrift, industry, independence—that breeds all the vices—fanaticism, smugness, meddling, fear and worst of all, respectability.”

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.