What Are You Smoking? September 2012

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by jpberg, Sep 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fbones24

Fbones24 Member

Very nice resource! I'm heading down to the park soon from my office. Going to smoke some Lancer's Slices in my Boswell.

Albert likes this.
  2. wobble

wobble Member

Kentucky Knugget and Black Cherry mix

3. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

Yes it is. I was working a job on West 16th Street when it happened. Picked up my Bride and my sister and proceeded to try and exit the city. I saw the second tower go down in my rear view mirror of the service van I was driving at the time. It was there, it was there, and then it was gone. I lived in Staten Island at the time. it took me 6 hours to get out of Manhattan and get home.
    I must have done 40 or 50 service calls in the coming weeks in lower Manhattan. Always that smell of death surrounding the area.
    On this day every year I feel like it happened yesterday. I get that sick feeling in the pit of my stomach.

Capt, Tsal, dmkerr and 2 others like this.
  4. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

That's awfully close!

I'm with you on the sick feeling. If it had been 9/3 instead of 9/11, I would have been right next to the towers when the first plane hit (well, across the island flying up the East river), as I flew into NYC the first monday of every month and stayed a week for business. I stayed down in Tribeca but was gone by the afternoon of the 7th.

As it was, I was on my way to Nashville when it happened and I saw the 2nd plane hit on the monitors inside the airport. I was lucky to get my rental car. When I returned it that night at the Indpls airport, I thought I was going to get mugged by people trying to get my car and get out of town. Then finally, as I walked to my car in the long term parking lot, there was no sound other than my heels on the pavement. No constant sound of jet taking off and landing. Very Twilight Zone-ish.

Old Codger likes this.
  5. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

My wife was still working at Columbia then. She was at the research facility on 168th, working on the next to the top floor. The window in her office faced south. Someone came in and told her about the first plane, next thing you know, there were 10 people in her office watching the second plane come in. She ended up walking back to her apartment (75th and Broadway) that night.

This past Sunday, we were having some breakfast in a little park on 57th & 10th, and she said "this is exactly the weather we had on September 11th" .

I don't imagine you're ever going to escape those images, Paul.

6. Old Codger

Old Codger Well-Known Member

It is interesting how we remember so much, in vivid detail, about what would otherwise be the normal goings on or our surroundings when events like 9/11 or the death of JFK occurred.

7. phinz

phinz Active Member

Finally dragged myself away from the desk at 7 this morning. Back up at 11:30. Just now getting chores done so I can sit back down and write. First pipe of the day. Kendall Plug in a Wessex Guard. Nothing to drink yet, but I did have a couple of Donut Friar donuts that I went and picked up at 5 this morning.

[​IMG]

jdto and Old Codger like this.
  8. Artistik

Artistik Active Member

Just finished a bowl of Mac Baren Scottish Blend Mixture in a Sav natural basket pipe. The Scottish Blend did not bite like some of the other MacB tobys I've tried. I don't know what made this Sav a second other than a couple of fills. Stain or rustication would have hid those nicely. Next up, another Mac Baren toby I will pick from my generous samples (thanks RTO).

Old Codger likes this.
  9. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Is this the first of the day? I think it is....

Kickin' Chicken in the Wessex Dublin. Pot of oolong tea on the side

10. Scurvy

Scurvy Member

Gold Blend in a cob

Old Codger likes this.
  11. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Bosun cut plug on a
    Falcon apple. Great blend!
    Thanks again, nesta!

Mount Mandolin and nesta like this.
  12. user2725

user2725 Active Member

Kramer's English in a rustic no name African meer Bulldog followed by Uhle's Bishop's Move in a custom stemmed Aristocob...
    [​IMG]

13. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

no worries, glad you like that one!

14. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

Rattray's Red Rapparee in a Dunhill.

Dondi and Mount Mandolin like this.
  15. Tsal

Tsal Well-Known Member

I wholeheartedly agree.
    I lived on Gold St. Three blocks away. That was and still is the worst day of my life! I lost a friend in the first tower. She was trapped above point of impact...

16. Tsal

Tsal Well-Known Member

Northwoods in a Hackert.

17. user3221

user3221 Active Member

Some C&D ADIGO in my newly rebuilt Old COB

just got this tobacco and it had a lot of dust on the cover

so that tells me either it is no good and nobody else ever orders this stuff
    or
    I just got lucky and they sent me an old stock tin

:th1:

104_2422.JPG

18. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

oh well!....if you can't beat 'em - join 'em :ohyh:
    [​IMG]

Artistik, Jammer, Morse and 5 others like this.
  19. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Quality work, as always OT!

Old Ted likes this.
  20. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

Jeez, Paul, had no idea you were that close to it when it happened, my friend. I was in boarding school in Mass., and I had a roommate from lower Manhattan whose father worked in the North Tower. He was one of my best friends, and that was a long morning. We ended up finding out that his father did not go into work that morning for the first time in over a year, and that he was safe but horribly shaken by the events. Totally surreal. Get a lump in my throat just thinking about it.

Having some McClelland #24 from 1979 in the Northern Briars banker. Seems fitting. Seems like all the really extraordinary tobacco in my cabinet came from Paul.

Old Codger likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.