1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

What Are You Smoking? September 2012

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by jpberg, Sep 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

Edgeworth Ready Rubbed in a Peterson. Never thought I'd get to try this one, but thanks to a generous member here, I was wrong. It is a really nice tobacco, and I could easily see why this was so many people's all day smoke, and why its loss is so often mourned. Really puts the current OTCs to shame, I think. No offense intended to fans of current OTCs, of course, but this is in a class of its own.

I'm guessing the Altadis match is nowhere close? Or is it? Might have to try it now that I've had the real thing.

ruffinogold likes this.
  2. Albert

Albert Active Member

The match is really good, havent had the original, but I've heard (read) they are actually very close

3. Iain

Iain Active Member

Got some Capstan ready rubbed going in a Calabash shaped meer, can't really get into it although I'm more then half way through the pouch now. I guess this is another one that's been through some changes and the hype applies to the older stuff. The newer stuff in the pouch that I've got is a really quite bland Va, more like cigarette tobacco. The main thing keeping me going with it is the reasonably good nicotine content.

4. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

Mac Barren Dark Twist (2012) in a Guildhall poker. Wife is at class, I'm watching M*A*S*H feeling somewhat sorry for myself:(

5. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

pirate kake in the Pete, sailing into Talk like a Pirate Day Eight degrees off the port bow, look alive ye dogs, there's booty for us all.

Morse, OldSouled65 and user3221 like this.
  6. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

PA in the Kapet 03. Soon, some vintage SWR or else HH Highland Blend or Granger...unsure which....studying for my Buddhism exam. This is a great class, but Buddhists are very fond of making lists of things to memorize....so I have to memorize some of the more basic lists, because we don't have any homework, and essays, or any participation points in this course - it's 100% graded by how you do on exams. No real room for error. First exam is tomorrow, so...studying tonight and tomorrow morning! Shouldn't be too hard...most of the concepts I grasp (on a rudimentary level - it's an intro class, after all) easily enough...it's the rote memorization of things like the noble eightfold path, the five aggregates, the three types of suffering, the various realms of samsara, the precepts taken by novice monks, the precepts taken by lay followers, etc.

Anyway, I like the material, but it will be a challenge. I'm even drinking tea...not decaf tea....after 5pm...so you know I'm studying for real! :eek:

Okay, back to it, just wanted a quick break to bug you guys :)

jpberg likes this.
  7. Stormy

Stormy Resident Rain Maker

Boswell premium burley in my SPS.

SidStavros likes this.
  8. Bradabelko4

Bradabelko4 Member

Decided to go with some backwoods flake in my ugly dog, I'm really startin to like Va's. Still need to work on my pace. Then went with an easy, but always enjoyable smoke, Autumn Evening. Just ate a big dinner and still have more studying to do, so I thought I'd go with someone thing comforting... then the room started spinning. I love IF :D

9. user3221

user3221 Active Member

Only Captain Red Beard himself would run into a brick of Pirate Kake and have to bail out
    the wet dog is proof of that

[​IMG]

:whis:

jdto and Spillproof like this.
  10. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

Nightcap in the Shamrock.

SidStavros and OldSouled65 like this.
  11. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I was wrong. Next smoke was Edgeworth RR

12. OldSouled65

OldSouled65 Active Member

Not a big acronym guy but,

EMP in a cob,
    I keep trying this every couple weeks. and honestly....:puke:

13. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

I will pretend I didn't read that. I'm sure you mean shellack, highly diluted. ;-)

dwaugh likes this.
  14. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

You know, I (relatively) recently received a sample of some Edgeworth myself - allegedly from around 1945 or so.

The Altadis match is a very good blend.

Edgeworth is a very good blend.

Burley shmurley, I don't care if burley isn't supposed to benefit from aging, it definitely at least CHANGES over that many decades....so I can't compare the two as equals! A match made last year (if that) vs. the authentic article, aging since the 1940s? Stuff was already forty years old when I was born.

I will say this: the basic character of the match is strikingly similar to the basic character of the vintage Edgeworth I smoked. Similar to how the basic character of modern Half and Half is similar to the basic character of the can of vintage Half and Half I've got, or how the basic character of current Sir Walter Raleigh is similar to the basic character of the vintage (allegedly ~1947) Sir Walter Raleigh I've had the pleasure of "sampling" (more like I received roughly a pouch worth!)

Basically what I'm getting at is that it may be a slightly different blend...slightly different cut, the tobaccos used aren't identically sourced, the slight touch of flavoring isn't precisely what they used back in the day...but if they had the legal right to call it Edgeworth instead of qualifying it as a match...if they could just simply stamp EDGEWORTH READY RUBBED on a big blue pouch and sell it at the drug store....I don't think too many people would grumble about it having "gone down hill."

I think it's about as close as anything I could expect when comparing a match to a sample of a seriously vintage original blend....no, it's not a dead ringer, but it also isn't almost seventy years old. It's definitely closer than Wessex Burley Broadcut or Peter Stokkabye Cube Cut, both of which are in the same vein

15. jdto

jdto Well-Known Member

Some Marlin Flake tonight in the Pete System Standard 312.

[​IMG]

16. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

are you always trying it in a cob? A large briar or meer is great for it. Some claim cobs don't do well for oriental/Turkish leaf. I don't know why that would be, but I do admit a cob tends to not satisfy my as easily when I want an English blend.

But hey could be personal taste. Some people like more orientals, some like more latakia. Generally, I like oriental-forward blends. EMP is great in my book. Still, it's not RRR

Dondi, Mount Mandolin and OldSouled65 like this.
  17. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

Wilke #622 in a prince.

Dondi and Mount Mandolin like this.
  18. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Ogdens Walnut in a Dunhill Billiard bdp............ this stuff smokes in slow motion !

SouthBound, jdto and Spillproof like this.
  19. Fbones24

Fbones24 Member

Earlier today had some Solani Silver Flake in my little Kaywoodie. This was on my drive to and from work.

20. Iain

Iain Active Member

Erinmore Flake in a gourd calabash

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.