What Are You Smoking? September, 2013

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by woody, Sep 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

I should have gone back to sleep, but decided to write my lengthy Three Nuns review. And to get into the proper mood, I've been smoking MacBaren Three Nuns in a 2001 smooth full bend St. Patrick's Day Peterson 03. I'll pay for only sleeping two hours later, but at least I got the review written.

Thuber88, Lucky Duck, Morse and 14 others like this.
  2. DrZarkov

DrZarkov Member

That says it all!! Thanks

Thuber88, Morse, PipeSimmo and 7 others like this.
  3. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

thanks for the link Danny, the only one of his that I don't like (or had a problem with ) was the churchwarden - the hole where shank joins bowl was large and bell shape, and I could not get a decent burn in the bottom of the bowl, but the others have been ok ( apart from not landing on my garden path very well! :()
    OT

Thuber88, Morse, Old Codger and 9 others like this.
  4. WalkinStick

WalkinStick Your Huckleberry

Ouch! :eek:

Thuber88, YAPPG, JWG25 and 3 others like this.
  5. User4408

User4408 Active Member

That sounds like a good plan.

Even though a number of Mac Baren offerings are now some of my favorite smokes, it took me a LONG time to warm up to them ... especially Dark Twist. If it weren't for the Germans and Danes giving me a lot of tutoring on Dark Twist, I probably still wouldn't be very fond of it.

But once you've cracked the code, I will say it's one of the finest Va/dark-fired combos out there. The Virginia they use in it is supremely good and rare (25% sugar), but takes special smoking technique IMHO to appreciate its qualities. And that dark-fired is superb: high-nicotine Kentucky that's been softened with maple sugars to reduce the harshness by lowering the pH. The snork is amazingly soft and creamy, which it certainly wouldn't be without the softening.

Just my 2 cents, of course. YMMV. But I was determined to find out why so many Danes considered Dark Twist to be at the very top, even to the point of smoking nothing else. Those guys are pretty sharp, so I figured there HAD to be something there. And there is, but it took me quite a while to uncover it.

Mixture in a straight MM Diplomat ...

Thuber88, Morse, Lucky Duck and 17 others like this.
  6. user3221

user3221 Active Member

BR in corn pipe
    while blending tobaccos for RocktoberFest 2013

Thuber88, Morse, Lucky Duck and 13 others like this.
  7. JWG25

JWG25 Active Member

[​IMG]

I'm taking my first, dark step towards unrequited codgerdom.

Corn Cob pipe: Check!
    Burley tobacco (MacBaren Golden Extra): Check!
    Strong coffee: Check!

What have you people done to me!

jhguthlac, Thuber88, Morse and 18 others like this.
  8. rondel65

rondel65 Misplaces Lighters

Maaaan, Got a call from my son's school that the shorts he's wearing is against school policy because of the skull on the pocket. Went home and got him a non offending pair of shorts and smoked the bottom bowl of last nights Tilbury. I didn't know that I have an 8yr old gang banger. Refreakindiculas!

9. Eric Pierson

Eric Pierson Resident Giant

Hal O' The Wynd carried me in to work this morning. Some Ol' Gow'rie for lunch. Too bad I ran out of Marlin FLake or I could have enjoyed a Rattray Triple Crown today. lol

10. Lithua pipe

Lithua pipe Active Member

C&D Bailey's Front Porch in a Viking Classic Bulldog

11. User4408

User4408 Active Member

Reading that caused me to well up a bit, WalkinStick. Seeing a young codger take his first halting steps into the haze of forgetfulness can be a very moving experience. And those spontaneous bouts of sleep ... you're a natural, Sir.

Finally finishing up some Mixture in a straight MM Diplomat, amidst an obnoxious number of household chores this morning. This might just be my favorite cob. I love the color and texture of this thing. Trying to visualize what it's going to look like 10 years from now.

Thuber88, Morse, Lucky Duck and 18 others like this.
  12. fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo Active Member

Walkabout went well, I'm bushed but stabler, Levi is happy as can be, had some 1978 Mac Baren Navy Flake in the Tsuge Tankard thanks to FlatbushPaul, it smokes ever so well and I'll be sad when it is no longer. A bit more blood on the hearing aid but nothing to get upset about, just keep watching and taking nourishment which will be another PRM shortly.

Thuber88, Morse, Lucky Duck and 20 others like this.
  13. jhguthlac

jhguthlac Active Member

Taking Middleton's Walnut in a pouch to work yesterday paid off. Smoked a pipe of it at the train station and it made the ride smoother. And I was in a better mood when I got home! Made sure I remembered it again today. My current smoking line-up seems to be EMP in the morning, Walnut after work, Irish Oak after dinner and Old Dublin during the game. MB Honey & Chocolate right before bed.

14. Basil Meadows

Basil Meadows Active Member

Finished up some Bullitt Proof cobs in the shop this morning, getting the last bit of stuff finished for Chattanooga this Saturday. Now it's time to relax with some SP Whiskey Blend in a Derringer with the last of the coffee. A couple hours before it's time to head into my "day job". Just enough time for a couple more bowls!

15. WalkinStick

WalkinStick Your Huckleberry

Then you'll be proud to know that I went inside and sat down on the couch after that pipe, and promptly fell asleep. If it hadn't been for my phone going off, I probably would've slept much longer than the 20 minutes that I did.

Thuber88, Morse, Lucky Duck and 14 others like this.
  16. Basil Meadows

Basil Meadows Active Member

Yes, Grasshopper, now snatch the pebble from our hand.

Thuber88, Morse, dBear and 10 others like this.
  17. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Pelican in the Trevi 114ks. This is fantastic tobacco, and I'm not even a huge fan of latakia. I've just been in the mood for it lately, despite the fact that I usually prefer it during warm weather. Maybe my tastes are changing?

Thuber88, Morse, Lucky Duck and 14 others like this.
  18. ryan65

ryan65 Member

1792 flake in my little stanwell 243. glad your enjoying pelican, tasty baccy :thu2:

Thuber88, Morse, Lucky Duck and 13 others like this.
  19. ShilohHollow

ShilohHollow Anchors Aweigh

This in that.

2013-05-08_09.43.22.jpg

20. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Yeah, it is good stuff. One of those blends where I always pass up the jar because I'm not in the mood, but when I AM in the mood....boy, it's just darn good! G.L. Pease Kensington is similar for me in a lot of ways. I am so much more likely to choose something other than these...but when I finally reach for them, I feel like I've been missing out on something.

Morse, Lucky Duck, mecompco and 10 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.