1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

What Are You Smoking? September, 2013

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by woody, Sep 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hofnar

Hofnar Active Member

Did I just (yesterday) say that I´d never come across a Ratos pipe that wasn´t a good pipe? Me and my big... When I had filled my new Ratos (with Borlum Riff Bourbon) and sat down on my balcony with a mug of fresh, black coffe at hand I noticed that a hairline crack had developed on the stem. Not where it connects with the mouth piece but closer to the bowl. I´m pretty sure that it wasn´t there (or at least that it wasn´t visible) when I examined the pipe in the shop yesterday. Somehow the heat must have made it appear. Still it´s a very nice pipe and seems to be a terrific smoker. If the crack doesn´t develop further it´s just a minor cosmetic blemish but I´m afraid that it may be worse over time and shorten the lfe of the pipe. What a tragedy... Well, I´ll go back to the place where I bought it and discuss it with them. This has never happened to me before.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
    Thuber88, YAPPG, p120d16y and 12 others like this.
  2. dBear

dBear Active Member

Wishing you and your pipe the best, Hofnar.

Jim, they just kind of quietly passed away during the night. I believe they were comfortable.

Thuber88, YAPPG, MDaws79 and 8 others like this.
  3. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

I'm glad to hear you were truly humanitarian in your handling of the iceberg matter. :nwor:

My last smoke before sleep is BRG Mixture in a straight sandblasted black billiard 2013 PSF POY Kaywoodie with an amber colored lucite stem. Molly wants to play "catch the ear plugs" and I expect Suzy will run in here to join in when we do. This ought to take care of the rest of my evening/morning.

Morse, Thuber88, dBear and 16 others like this.
  4. SidStavros

SidStavros Active Member

[​IMG]

McClelland grand orientals Black Sea Sokhoum in my Rekamepip Rock Cob.

Morse, Thuber88, dBear and 22 others like this.
  5. Hofnar

Hofnar Active Member

Problem solved. I really like the old way to buy things, in actual stores where you deal with people face to face. My defect pipe was swiftly replaced with another and while we conducted this transaction my eyes fell on a beautiful Stanwell billiard... What can I say? I´m human, I´m weak. This boxing up my pipes business is proving quite costly but one must not complain...

Morse, Thuber88, dBear and 19 others like this.
  6. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Happy Friday, and Best Birthday Wishes to Jack and the rest of the Birthday Boys,

Another lovely big mooned night. I don't know how much more of this great weather I can stand.

Felt froggy this morning, had a 50/50 mix of Pirate Kake & 5 Bros. in a Doug Erwin Cob.

Morse, Thuber88, dBear and 21 others like this.
  7. muddler

muddler Active Member

Still really hot here with no sign of rain. Strange for this time of the year. It's been the driest winter & Spring I can recall in the 11 years I've lived here. Almost midday here & I'm through running errands & doing chores. Relaxing with a pipe - BBF in a Pietenpauw billiard. This one was a copy of an Ashton I'd asked for. Great smoker. But then most billiards are.

[​IMG]

Morse, Thuber88, dBear and 20 others like this.
  8. Lucky Duck

Lucky Duck Active Member

Good morning everyone! Happy Friday! I'm smoking J. F. Germains King Charles High Class Smoking Mixture in my MM Diplomat. I'm drinking black coffee. My pick-up's in the shop, so I'm driving Daisy's big old Chevy to work. Haven't decided whether or not I'm going to smoke in it. We'll see. Puff on PSFers!

Morse, Thuber88, dBear and 24 others like this.
  9. porshcigar

porshcigar Member

The Smoker Woodsman, in a bent and blasted apple for the TGIF smoke.

10. User4408

User4408 Active Member

That's a disturbing event. But hopefully not as bad as it might appear.

Thirty years ago my wife bought me a Charatan for my birthday. Shortly afterwards a hairline crack emerged on the underside of the bowl. I said nothing about it and kept right on smoking, but fearing the worst. And today, that crack is no worse than it was then.

Briar is extremely tough, so I think your chances are good that the pipe will endure. I'm even proud of the crack on the Charatan now ... distinctive.

Newminster SNF in a DH Diplomat ...

11. fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo Active Member

Whew, working it boss! [​IMG] Took forever to finish playing catch up but I do have a new crushed stone driveway now! :D

Happy Birthday to the gents from yesterday, best of luck Basil, Hofnar it will be OK briar is rugged, Sid that pipe looks great, Dust in the Wind :startl:
    Well I finished the Strang Curly Strang from last evening as my first pipe, struggled through 5 PRM's, an MM Diplomat with blue and white Forever Stem with Pirate Kake thanks to mecompco and some July RockCob Mix thanks to Dust in the Wind in the MM Mizzou with plum Forever Stem. Good morning PSFer's............. :ccup:

Morse, Thuber88, dBear and 21 others like this.
  12. sonarman

sonarman Member

FVF in my Boswell freehand. Wow! I finally have a great smoke with FVF and it is pretty darn good. I would describe it as Full for sure! Last weekend before I go to a duty section, then the real boat life begins. Beautiful New England morning here on the banks of the Thames, she is fogging like a steam train and it looks like one as well with a river of fog floating out to sea about 50' above her. Make it a great one gents and gals

Morse, Thuber88, dBear and 20 others like this.
  13. User4408

User4408 Active Member

Just finished a fragrant bowl of HSMNSN in a dedicated bent MM Pride ...

To my knowledge, this and Peretti No Name are the only Lakeland style aromatics made in the US. Given the love of soap here on PSF, I'm surprised I don't see more raves about this magnificent smoke :whis:

Morse, Thuber88, JimInks and 13 others like this.
  14. Hofnar

Hofnar Active Member

MacB Original Choice in a nice Stanwell billiard. Ceylon tea. The radio news in the background. On my balcony.

Jay, Morse, Thuber88 and 16 others like this.
  15. Hofnar

Hofnar Active Member

Thank you all who have emphatized re the defect pipe I bought yesterday. I´m pretty convinced that the crack in question will grow longer and deeper with time/use and those who sold it to me seemed to concur. However, it´s no longer my problem as I received another, very similar, pipe of the same brand.

Morse, Thuber88, sonarman and 12 others like this.
  16. Huby Springer

Huby Springer Active Member

My tin of H&H Acadian Perique is giving up its final bowl this morning. Smoking it in the MM Legend.

Morse, Thuber88, dBear and 17 others like this.
  17. user3221

user3221 Active Member

Morning Coffee and a bowl of Granger

waiting for sunrise so i can go out and check telephone box
    ( either i got water in the lines or ants again )

Morse, Thuber88, dBear and 17 others like this.
  18. Artistik

Artistik Active Member

:bday: JDTO and BriarBob. Wishing you many many more!

Sonarman, I liked your post as I remember the excitement waiting for an upcoming sea tour. The foggy morning scene you described was a favorite "with pipe" kind of morning for me.

Yesterday's procedure went very well. I was home by 2:30 and starving. Picked up a burger, fries and milkshake on the way home. After devouring that, I sat in the fat chair and slept off the remainder of the anesthesia. After a couple of hours I awoke and loaded a BC Rhodie with a non-avoided bowl of Virginia Woods. This morning it is cool here in North Florida (68*f) so I loaded a Dr. G Westie with Bear Blend to have with coffee in the Florida Room. A few errands to run today, so I will pack a billiard with more Bear Blend to enjoy while out and about. Have a great Friday everyone.

Morse, Thuber88, dBear and 18 others like this.
  19. ShilohHollow

ShilohHollow Anchors Aweigh

I'm feeling froggy again. Frog Morton in a Ser Jacopo billiard. French press coffee.

Morse, Thuber88, user3221 and 14 others like this.
  20. 5H4N3

5H4N3 Active Member

:banana:FRIDAY!!!:bdance:
    Middletons Walnut in the Viking and black Maxwell House.

Morse, Thuber88, user3221 and 15 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.