1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

What Are You Smoking? September, 2013

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by woody, Sep 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wookie Hunter

Wookie Hunter Member

Which XM channel plays the old radio shows?

I'm on my second bowl of CH in my Country Gent since getting home from work. I've been browsing around the internet and I finally caught up on the thread. I'm off work tomorrow and have nothing going on except college football and pipes!

Thuber88, mecompco, Morse and 15 others like this.
  2. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

Channel 89 on XM. I don't know the channel number for Sirius, but it's the same programming. They used to have a book channel and about three weeks ago, it was discontinued, I'm sorry to say. There were many great classics and recent books read there as well as a program devoted to new writer and their work. They occasionally ran shows from the BBC, too. A great loss for us.

Thuber88, mecompco, Morse and 13 others like this.
  3. JimInks

Minutes away from smoking Angler's Dream in a smooth 1998 Parker 489 three quarter bend Billiard. I'm listening to Fibber McGee and Molly, and then The Lone Ranger, plus whatever I decide on after that. The XM doesn't have the license to play series such as The Lone Ranger, Challenge of the Yukon, and several other series. Their provider is Radio Spirits, which is good and bad. Good because of the quality of the audio, bad because it limits what we get to hear. There are many thousands of shows available, but not on this channel. In fact, my collection is better than theirs. Two of the best websites to download or listen to free shows are: http://archive.org/details/oldtimeradio and http://otrrlibrary.org/index.html.

Thuber88, mecompco, Morse and 16 others like this.
  4. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

London Mixture in the Monkey Bull.

Thuber88, mecompco, Morse and 15 others like this.
  5. Old Codger

Old Codger Well-Known Member

LEO in a MM Legend. Last smoke after a long day, going well with a little Sandeman Port.
    14C(57F)H96%. Why am I thinking that JPBerg sent this rain back west with me?

6. Mr Blandings

Mr Blandings If you ain't eatin' Wham, you ain't eatin' ham!

Check out www.otrcat.com too, not entirely free but good selection. I wired my iPod up to my 1940 Philco console radio, now that's how those shows are supposed to sound!

mecompco, Morse, dBear and 11 others like this.
  7. nicktrap

nicktrap Active Member

A gloomy morning here in The Hague, a bowl of McB Va Flake in the Country Gent before the rains come. Than placing a tobacco order to welcome myself home when I arrive back in beautiful downtown Burbank.

mecompco, Morse, dBear and 15 others like this.
  8. JimInks

Was busy looking at old photographs of famous artists and forgot to list my current smoke, which I'm near done with: Maple Street in the third pipe I ever bought ($1.95), a 1974 smooth straight French briar Hadley Apple. Suzy and Molly got my attention by asking for wet food in two part harmony. Now, who could resist feeding them after they went to all that trouble for li'l ol' me? Not yours truly!

9. JimInks

A short smoke before sleep: Rekamepip's "Sinphony" Mix in a straight 2012 Rekamepip made Sugar Barrel pipe. Hey, everybody else in the house is sleeping! I might as well, too! See you folks later on today.

10. User4408

User4408 Active Member

A refreshing bowl of tinned MB Va. No. 1 in a Savinelli Baronet Bruyere 316 EX ...

[​IMG]

This pipe had some dark-fired traces in it, so I gave the chamber and shank a quick alcohol swab 15 minutes before loading up. That seems to have done the trick: I can taste only pure Virginia now.

11. Lucky Duck

Lucky Duck Active Member

Good morning everyone! It's Saturday! I'm smoking G. L. Pease Telegraph Hill in the Coveted by MDaws79 Silver Banded Straight Pot Briar Suffolk. I've also got the usual morning acompaniment of black coffee in a large vrown mug. This morning I'm sitting on the front porch star gazing, and waiting for the sun to come up. When it does, I'll go somewhere else. Funny. Anywho, puff on PSFers!

12. nicktrap

nicktrap Active Member

On bowl 2 of Va Flake, interesting that I am finding the MM Diplomat with the straight forever stem is smoking cooler and seems more flavorful and consistent than the Country Gent with the bent forever stem. All things being pretty much the same. Any thoughts on why that might be?

13. Baccy Bert

Baccy Bert Member

More cigar+cavendish+green river burley experiment in a diplomat

mecompco, WalkinStick, Morse and 11 others like this.
  14. Lucky Duck

Lucky Duck Active Member

:popc:

15. Wicker Man

Wicker Man Active Member

[​IMG]

16. User4408

User4408 Active Member

Brief experience with cobs so far seems to suggest: the simpler, the better.

My favorite of the entire MM suite happens to be the Missouri Pride, one of the simplest and cheapest. No mods at all, no after-market stems. It's just perfect as is: light-weight (24 grams). wide-open draw, a sweet dry smoke from the very beginning. great feel in the hand, excellent hands-free performance, a cinch to clean, durability provided I treat it right.

The one cob I was least impressed by was the CG: it looks great, but it's heavy. I can see the advantage of the hardwood plug. But so far my ordinary cobs have caked well in the heel and never get soggy, so I don't see a problem there.

Maybe your Diplomat 'breathes' better than your CG. The finishes on both seem pretty well sealed, but perhaps the Diplomat is still more porous. And your Diplomat is probably lighter, so that might give you the impression of greater comfort and coolness.

Finishing up some VN1 in a Sav ... next up, Vauen Va. Flake No. 14 in a straight MM Pride

17. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Good morning all, pulled this Fikri Baki from the depths of the cabinet - to try and put a bit of colour in it's cheeks!, I'm not a colour (or color!;)) fanatic, but just don't like to see then shiny white!......so it's getting some Dark XX for a few days. This stuff's my staple diet - the preparation, which I find quite theraputic :) is well worth it - in the smoking, to me!.
    OT
    [​IMG]

18. SidStavros

SidStavros Active Member

Lycimachus was a General and bodyguard of Alexander the Great and as you know he won in all the battles against the barbarian Persians.Once he decided to make as we say today "Games" to honour the Gods,the Persians start making irony comments that they have an opponent that no Greek man could win in wrestling,Alexander accepted the challenge and those tricky Persian showed up a Lion! A huge one from Ethiopia who entered the stadium making circles and roaring. The Persians start laughing but Alexander turn calmly his head to the right and looked Lycimachus,then he without hesitation left his sword and his mantle and descent the stairs.As he entered the stadium the Persians stood up from their seats pointing Lycimachus making jokes how he will be eaten.Those funny people didn't knew that Lycimachus was a brave man,war veteran and a master of Pangration.
    He walked toward the lion and using evasion moves managed to be in the side of it,then he jumped on his back,with his hands grabbed the mane hair and the chin and broke his neck.The lion drop dead and the smile froze in the faces of the barbarians.Lysimachus stood upright putting his left leg in the body of the lion,raise his right fist looking at the Alexander the Great shouting the famous war scream of Greeks: "Allala".
    The same war scream has been heard in all the battles against our enemies in ancient Greece,after 2600 years we still use it.When a person alone attacks ferocious screaming we say "Allalazon" and when many persons attacked screaming we say "Allalazontes". Latter Lycimachus involved in some succession problems and his opponents said that yeah he killed a lion but inside the prison and then tear out his tongue.No,he did it clearly in front of the audience showed to the barbarians who the Greeks are!

[​IMG]

McClelland 221b series Honeydew.

19. fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo Active Member

well I actually caught up on the ways, going to have some firefly mix in the mm dip with blue and white forever stem sadly no coffee but plan to catch up when i get to the conference,happy Sat PSFers.

20. Hofnar

Hofnar Active Member

Borkum Riff Bourbon (this stuff is seriously growing on me) in my tricked up MM Legend (which I´ve now named the Red Baron since it looks kind of aristocratic, at least for a cob, and von Richthofen is a legend. The red part is obvious.) A shot of Havana Club 7 anejos. In the shade on my girlfriends balcony. Alone since they unexpectedly called from her job. Now I´ll pop out and get some bread, cheese and wine for when she returns.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.