What Are You Smoking? September, 2013

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by woody, Sep 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicktrap

nicktrap Active Member

Good morning from Holland, celebrating 46 years of wedded bliss for me, maybe not so much for my lady, I know I have tested her tolerance level a few times over the years. Have the two cobs loaded with McB's Va Flake and headed to the garden,coffee in hand, trying to stay ahead of the coming rain. Will be headed back home three weeks from today and hope to add a few briars to my arsenal, the cobs may be tiring and will get a well deserved rest.

2. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

Congrats to you and your lady! bdp

Thuber88, fishnbanjo, Morse and 8 others like this.
  3. JimInks

Listening to interviews with old radio stars: http://www.speakingofradio.com/interviews/ I've finished my work for the day and am now smoking Rekamepip's Pressed August Blend in a 2013 slight bend grain etched briar Rekamepip Volcano with a walnut shank.

Thuber88, fishnbanjo, Morse and 11 others like this.
  4. JimInks

Last smoke before sleep is Angler's Dream in a 2013 medium bend Spillproof corndog cob. I like this blend and I love this pipe. Thanks, Spilly!

Thuber88, fishnbanjo, Morse and 16 others like this.
  5. mecompco

mecompco Active Member

Good Monday morning! Started off with a big bowl of Nutty Cut in a full-bent WDC Wellington to accompany the black coffee. I'm thinking some Sugar Barrel in the Patriot for the drive to work, pouch full of CH to enjoy on the drive home. Have a great day, all.

Thuber88, fishnbanjo, Morse and 14 others like this.
  6. tdog

tdog Member

Congratulate you and your good lady on 46 years of marriage have a great day nicktrap from tdog

fishnbanjo, Morse, mecompco and 8 others like this.
  7. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Happy Monday,

And more importantly, Happy Anniversary to our friend Nick, and his long suffering wife. 46 years, good golly.

38F in the valley this morning, a few stars, but no moonlight to speak of.

Aromatic Dark Flake in a Castello (from Regis McCafferty) while stargazing this morning, Bunn machine coffee and Copenhagen here at the desk.

fishnbanjo, Morse, mecompco and 15 others like this.
  8. SidStavros

SidStavros Active Member

Forget anything you know about Western films,this is the No 1!
    Oh sorry i didn't mention that not for it's quality but because is the most funny Cow Boy movie i have ever seen.Everything is false and face,even a 15 year old kid as a director could do it better. The city is computerized,the desert has trees,the bounty hunter has only a knife,the SA revolvers shoot as DA and dozens of times without reloading,no muzzle flash,no blood on wounds etc.Even the poster is fictitious so if you wanna laugh too much see that ridiculous movie. :xd:

Hell at my heels [2011]

[​IMG]

By the way that movie has only one good thing,that "captured" girl.

[​IMG]

Davidoff English Mixture.

Thuber88, fishnbanjo, Morse and 17 others like this.
  9. User4408

User4408 Active Member

SWR in a bent MM Legend ...

10. porshcigar

porshcigar Member

Legends, in a bent and blasted dublin.

Thuber88, fishnbanjo, Morse and 12 others like this.
  11. Lucky Duck

Lucky Duck Active Member

Good morning everyone. Not working today. I've got a dental appointment later. Drinking black coffee and finishing off some PS LTF in the 2013 PSF POY from last evening. Puff on.

Thuber88, fishnbanjo, Morse and 18 others like this.
  12. muddler

muddler Active Member

Much warmer today - shorts & t-shirt weather. Bit of wind though. Old Gowrie in a 50YO Pete 309. I have a newer model & it lacks the sleeker lines of the old one. Not as nice in the mouth.

[​IMG]

13. user3221

user3221 Active Member

Morning Coffee, and a couple rounds of turkish blend in rc

Thuber88, fishnbanjo, dBear and 12 others like this.
  14. Monkeyshine

Monkeyshine Active Member

ODF in a Royal Danish canadi-acorn

fishnbanjo, dBear, Morse and 11 others like this.
  15. Lucky Duck

Lucky Duck Active Member

Well MBV, MDaws79 introduced me to PS LTF. As I recall he brought a few flakes of it to "Pipe Club" about six months ago. Seeing the flake itself, with it's twists and swirls, the different colors all mixed in, had me enamored from the start. There were a few flakes in a sample bag. When I open it, I was reminded of when my mom used to make bread. Not the warm, fresh from the oven smell, but the smell of the dough as she kneaded it out on the table, before the oven. The smell was rich and wholesome. A hint of sweetness, maybe a yeastiness to it, and under that, the dark fullness of good tobacco. I was obviously going to try it! I folded and stuffed the first flake. I don't remember what I stuffed it into now. Upon char-light, I was hit with a sweet, but not overpowering, hint of molasses laid out on top of taste of the Virginia. This profile was dominant to the 1/3 mark. Once there the profile shifted a little to pepper, so that now there was a sweet/spicy aspect as the tobacco flavor began to emerge into a less subtle richness than before. At the 2/3 mark, the profile had slid away from sweet, and any edge the pepperiness had held had mellowed off. This allowed the Virginia to finish large. I quickly saw the advantages to the flake. I drive a truck for a living. It's much easier to load a flake while driving. And the flavor had mightily impressed me. The next morning I ordered Two pounds.
    That first sample was fresh, with no age to speak of. Of course when mine arrived, it was fresh as well. I jarred it up, and began using PS LTF as my workday smoke. I would put perhaps 15 to 20 flakes into a round tin that had been emptied to carry back and forth to work. refilling the tin from the jar when the tin ran low. after about three months I had smoked the first quart, which had remained fresh, due to the opening over and over of the jar. Jar No.2 had three months age on it. The jar note now had shifted. While the intoxicating aroma of bread dough was still obvious, the underlying tobacco smell had now come forward, thus foreboding a much richer, more complex smoke. The flakes had darkened slightly as well. I was giddy with excitement, and immediately loaded and lit a flake. The same general three step profile was still there, but had matured into something close to Dunhill Royal Yacht (which I'm a huge fan of). The sweetness was now a more subtle molasses with a hint of white raison. The Virginia flavor had really amped up, filling my mouth and nose with a smoky richness I've only found in two other blends; Dunhill Royal Yacht, and Peterson's Perfect Plug (which I also love). While the sweetness had mellowed out some, it now ran through the smoke, more intensely at the top and bottom. the pepperiness had almost disappeared, but not quite. Although by the bottom 1/3 it's usually gone. I know there are mixed reviews on this blend. Seems like you either love it or hate it. I love it. In my humble opinion, if you tried it and didn't like it, age it and try it again. If you find that you still don't like it...send it to me.
    As an after thought, I'll tell you that I smoke it very slowly. In my 2013 PSF POY it takes 3.5 to 4 hours to smoke to the bottom. That's slow. When I rush it, I find that I shortchange myself out of some flavor.
    I also want to tell you, MBV, that a couple weeks ago, I bought a tin of Virginia No.1 on your recommendation alone. Good stuff. Thanks.
    Just finishing this PS LTF in my 2013 PSF POY.

Edit: Happy anniversary to you and your wife Nick!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
    Thuber88, fishnbanjo, dBear and 17 others like this.
  16. Hofnar

Hofnar Active Member

Raw tobacco, spiced with Plantation Rum, in my favourite briar.

Thuber88, fishnbanjo, dBear and 13 others like this.
  17. Rockbass

Rockbass Active Member

[​IMG] Good morning good people. Mr. Peabody smokes his burley two pipes at a time: I am envious.

18. sonarman

sonarman Member

Good Morning PSF'ers! Haddos delight in a Boswell freehand.

fishnbanjo, dBear, Morse and 12 others like this.
  19. 5H4N3

5H4N3 Active Member

Ugh, Monday again?
    Been in a bit of a rut lately.
    Started breaking in the "Cutty Gentleman" (my meeger cobfoolery entry) last Wednesday with Carter Hall.
    Thing is, iy was so good, that I never stopped. Today will be the 6th day in a row with one pipe, and one tobacco.
    So just like groundhogs day...
    Black coffee and Carter Hall in the Cutty Gentleman.

Thuber88, fishnbanjo, dBear and 16 others like this.
  20. Artistik

Artistik Active Member

Happy anniversary to you and your bride Nick. 46, eh? Newly weds, LOL. Miss Daisy and I will celebrate 47 in January.

I decided yesterday that I had not smoked Red Cake in awile, so I had back to back bowls in a Sav Tris and a Peter Kent bent tomatoe. I hadn't smoked that PK in about a year or so. Both were very enjoyable smokes. Thanks to Snake I ended the day with Royal Yacht in a Diplomat.

This morning was back to the routine of the work week, three C's!

Thuber88, fishnbanjo, dBear and 14 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.