1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

What Are You Smoking? September, 2013

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by woody, Sep 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. psquared

psquared DGErwin, my horse would like a word with you...

Good morning all. Vincent Manil Semois, DGE Egg, black office swill.

Thuber88, fishnbanjo, dBear and 16 others like this.
  2. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Kendal Dark in the Parker. Good morning, all.

3. Huby Springer

Huby Springer Active Member

Starting this week right...with a day off.

Erinmore Flake in the PSF POY

Thuber88, fishnbanjo, dBear and 13 others like this.
  4. jhguthlac

jhguthlac Active Member

57-degrees and beautiful this morning. Brewed up my Russian tea and did morning reading. EMP in a Bacca straight was my wake up smoke. Had some time left, so enjoyed CH in my "anniversary" pipe.

Thuber88, fishnbanjo, dBear and 14 others like this.
  5. Sodbuster

Sodbuster Member

That Dolce is some blaaack stuff. The first bowl I smoked of it ( a few days ago) started sizzling and bubbling 2/3 of the way down. The next one I let dry for 20 min and mixed with a little Velvet, and it was pretty tasty. My wife likes the room note as well, which is a real plus.

surlysoul, fishnbanjo, dBear and 9 others like this.
  6. Sodbuster

Sodbuster Member

Woke up to an extremely foggy summer morning. I know this because as ALWAYS, one of the kids was taking his sweet time in the bathroom and I had to piss like a russian racehorse. Since it's the country, I stepped out back and watered the pokeberry bush. First smoke of the day for me is some lightly-packed CH in my grabow grand duke. I'll be checking in later as I have H. Rider Haggard's 'King Solomon's Mines' on the Kindle and a tin of Sutliff 957 that I found at a tobacco outlet store yesterday. Have a good'rn friends :)

fishnbanjo, dBear, YAPPG and 9 others like this.
  7. User4408

User4408 Active Member

Great review, LD. It's highly instructive to get the insights of someone who has followed a particular tobacco on a daily basis for a considerable period of time.

The LTF, I suspect, is identical to the highly-regarded Larsen No. 32, which one German reviewer described as being the essence of pure Virginia goodness. I'm glad to hear at least one other PSFer has smoking sessions that last as long as mine: it's not unusual for Va. flakes to smolder for over 3 hours in many of my pipes. LTF is a work of art IMHO: mild enough to be enjoyed any time, yet rich enough to always satisfy.

A lot of these Virginia classics really blossom over time as one gains more experience. When I first started out, I have to admit that MB Va. No. 1 struck me as one of the most boring tobaccos out there. But now it's one of my favorites: that delicate aroma is almost addictive. And the flavor makes my mouth water: a combination of tartness like apple juice along with the sweetness of all those sugars caramelizing as it slowly smolders. Even though a lot of other Virginia tobaccos like BBF make a bigger flavor impression, it's the Mac Baren Va. I keep returning to.

I hope the VN1 works out well for you. It's an acquired taste for many people, as it was for me. But I am SO glad I stuck with it.

MB VN1 in a straight MM Pride ...

8. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Man , what a freakin weekend . I didnt rest at all . My son , Joseph [ 6 ] , is in " Destructo Mode " and I was rescreening my porch and I'm setting up the screens to be changed from the inside instead of the out side, which means i gotta add 2x2 and do some painting of the new wood . Anyway , the reason I'm rescreening to begin with is cause Joseph decided to take a pair of scissors and basicly cut the screens :rolleyes: . I primed the new wood and , while on break , didnt notice Joseph having an artistic moment by painting a huge J on the driveway until this AM . I think he's out to give me a heart attack , which at that point at least I'll be resting .
    Been smoking IRC Old Colonial [ Thanks Nitehawk ] in the OT Perfect Pipe and in the Prince I got from Ksummers [ I cant remember the brand of it ] . Old Colonial is kinda like CH but with a supposedly coconut topnote , which tastes more like a flavor that is on it's way to being a Lakeland , but actually enjoyable for me .I love Old Colonial

9. psquared

psquared DGErwin, my horse would like a word with you...

46 years. That is one hell of an accomplishment sir, congratulations to you and your wife. She probably figures she's got you almost perfectly trained, maybe 4 more years effort. :appl:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  10. Albert

Albert Active Member

Dorchester in a cob.

11. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

Altadis 507c in a little Rossi Dublin.

12. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Finishing up some Tilbury in the Croft's Premium Canadian. Up next is Kendal Flake in the La Rocca Dublin...or the Royal Coachman bulldog....or the Peterson System....

13. Lithua pipe

Lithua pipe Active Member

PA in a MM Cob, Coffee, Manhattan afternoon in a MM cob

Thuber88, TedVig, surlysoul and 16 others like this.
  14. Old Codger

Old Codger Well-Known Member

Happy anniversary Nick. Condolences Mrs Nick.

Beautiful sunny clear morning so 2 MM Legends, one with Essence of Vermont, the other with LEO for the morning walk. Now for Painter Hills in a Peterson 80s and illy coffee out of the press. A year old unopened jar of Lancers Slices is teasing me but I'm still working on getting the open jars to less than 30. 14C(57F)H74%

Thuber88, TedVig, surlysoul and 18 others like this.
  15. Texhealer

Texhealer Active Member

Maiden voyage for the little Sav dry system is Walnut, I've never been a fan of P lip stems but this one is small enough that it just might work. It's smoking cool and dry at any rate...probably another keeper. Smoking on the front porch finishing the morning coffee watching the world go by until I have to rush to the office at the crack of noon. ;)

16. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

:xd:

Oh man, kids are hilarious...you're gonna need to paint the whole driveway to match, now!

17. WalkinStick

WalkinStick Active Member

Good morning everybody.

Hate to salt open wounds, but I'm off this Monday. Been sitting around the porch smoking rum flake in a cob and drinking 8 o'clock Colombian with a hit of Bailey's. trying to decide what to smoke next. All this talk about LTF. Might have to give it a try again.
    Edit: Congrats to Nick on the anniversary. I hope mine will let me hang around for at least twice that long ;)

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  18. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

Up earlier than I should be, but Suzy and Molly, who were sleeping with me, didn't mind my getting up. They ran down the hall to the kitchen, and I was in no mood to race them, but though I was last in a three being race, they won out by getting white chicken wet food a little earlier than usual. So, as long as I'm up, I'm catching up on the news, drinking Simply Orange, and smoking Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend in a 1982 black sandblasted paneled slight bend Savinelli flat bottom sitter. I'm almost out of this sample 1.5 oz tin, but I still have a little of the original tub Sutliff sent me when I initially inquired about it some months ago. And I've some of what our esteemed Furious sent me, too.

19. WalkinStick

WalkinStick Active Member

I've been meaning to order some of that. Your tastes and mine are so alike, I'm sure I'd enjoy it. Plus, I've never had a G&H that I didn't love.

Lithua pipe, Thuber88, Monkey and 8 others like this.
  20. YAPPG

YAPPG Active Member

Grats on the Anni to both of you, must be doing something right. Lets see many more, well done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.