What Does 100% Perique or Latakia Taste/Smoke Like?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by KeysandPlastic, May 17, 2011.

1. KeysandPlastic

KeysandPlastic Member

Title says all.
  2. Jay

Jay Active Member

my guess would be like crap
  3. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Filling any pipe bigger than a one-hitter full of Perique would just be a waste of good Perique. You'd probably choke on it, too.

As far as Latakia goes, I've never smoked pure Latakia, though I've smoked Old Ironsides, which is pretty darned close. It's probably something akin to a peat fire, but in a good way. ;)
  4. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Clumsy Poop!

Umm.. yeah. Pure Latakia is actually kind of good, but it's not interesting. Just smooth and rich and heavy. Pure perique I haven't tried, but there's enough in St James Woods to gag a maggot, so I don't really intend to either. It's pungent, spicey, deep. Like if you took Bacon, Mushrooms, and pepper, and maybe sweet and sour sauce, and put them together.
  5. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Thanks to the way we all perceive taste differently, I suggest if you are really curious, well, try them for yourself. No amount of description can replicate what you yourself would notice in them. Hence, the widely disparate reviews seen on just a single blend on TR.com.

And no, no I haven't bothered personally. Don't really care to, either. (While I can imagine what Latakia is like, I suppose Perique would be the real eye opener...literally!)
  6. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

I've never smoked a full bowl of nothing but Latakia (Cyp/Syr) nor have I smoked a full one of Perique. Really don't have any desire or curiosity to do so. I like the flavors of both Latakia and Perique but only in a blend mixed with other Orientals or Virginias or Burleys. I figure if a full bowl of Lat/Per are any good, it'd be all over the piper forums as a thing to try...........well, it's not, so it really must not be good at all. If your curiosity drives you, go for it!

:wiz:
    Ed
    Puff
  7. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

Truck tires used on a hog farm that the family dog urinated on daily, covered with grease then soaked in kerosene and coated with grated habanero peppers and garlic smothered in pickled platypus lips with just a slight hint of vanilla aged for 7 years on 3 mile island. Yum Yum!

Anyone that could smoke this on a daily basis would take over YinYang's highly coveted place as The Most Interesting Man In The World!
    PROCEED WITH CAUTION!!!
    God Bless!!! Ray
    telltime, MakDragon and ArtisanArcher like this.
  8. dmkerr

dmkerr Moderator Moderator

Pure latakia is how Sas described. It's not overly strong but it's just not much to rave about. Pure perique is unsmokable by all but the stoutest of men, particularly those with no taste buds. It's akin to eating an ice cream scoop-sized glob of mustard or drinking a water glass full of hot sauce.
  9. jhe888

jhe888 Member

Most agree that pure Perique is all but unsmokable. I have no intention to try. I like it mixed with Virginias, but I don't care for the blends with lots of it. Definitely a spice toby for me.

I'll trust those who say pure Latakia is okay, but bland by itself.
  10. Eddie

Eddie Member

I'm tempted to try some of the above just so I can differentiate between them in blends. Maybe not a whole bowl full mind you.
  11. dmkerr

dmkerr Moderator Moderator

Not a bad idea. I do some blending on a totally amateur basis, and it definitely helps to know exactly what the various tobaccos taste like so I'll know what to add or subtract. Just a few puffs of perique should be enough.
  12. ruffinogold

ruffinogold " It takes a Pro to smoke an Aro " [ RG] Mayor

Perique is horrible straight , trust me , or dont and go for it ... ha ha ha
    Latakia straight isnt much better imo ... but it's better that perique straight .. for sure
  13. Zfog

Zfog Member

I don't think it would be to pleasurable, on either account. The closest i have come is.... I was hanging out with a fellow piper and we decided to smoke 50/50 Tambo and Perique. honestly it wasn't too bad. But it ghosted our sinuses for a couple hours!
    We did it for fun with no intention of some almighty smoke. fwiw
  14. Marc

Marc Member

Next time you're in southwest Lousiana pick up a pack of Picyuene cigarettes, that's the cloest thing to smoking pure perique I have ever come across and that was enough! If you want a Latakia blast, smoke some Old Ironsides.
  15. Pecci

Pecci Member

I tried it 50/50 with VA. I didn't think it was all that overpowering, though I don't wish to do this again.

I think it's a good idea though, to try a very small amount for future reference, and blending.
  16. TxPipesmoker

TxPipesmoker Active Member

Well the verdict is in on Perique, but for Latakia you could try SG-Commenwelth if you can find it. Its about 90 percent Latakia. Not bad t
  17. MakDragon

MakDragon Lord Help me through the changes in my life!

What? No Tibetan yak urine?
  18. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

No sir, that is used exclusivly in Borkum Riff to give it it's own very distinct flavor.
    Kiowapipe and MakDragon like this.
  19. BradNTX

BradNTX Hamborger Veermaster Hog

Wasn't there someone a while back that asked this question & then went ahead & smoked a bowl of Perique? I thought he posted his comments, but don't know where...?
  20. MakDragon

MakDragon Lord Help me through the changes in my life!

:laff: