What Does Perique Taste Like?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by wmblake, Jan 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wmblake

wmblake Member

I'm sitting here having a bowl of Escudo and I'm trying to put my finger on it. If I were reviewing it and trying to describe the flavor. Green grape? Crab apple? Is it sour? Does the sweetness come from the Virginia?

So my question, What does perique taste like?

GANDALF WHITE likes this.
  2. Lukasaurus

Lukasaurus Member

Death :P

Taste is very subjective, but with perique (akin to how I see overly spicy curry)I personally find that the spicy sensation overpowers the taste.

Upon discovering this I've mostly avoided Perique heavy blends and VApers, but in my expeience of Perique blends the sweetness always came from the VA.

As they say, it would be no fun if we were all the same :P sorry I cant be of more help!

Stonewall likes this.
  3. BernardLerring

BernardLerring Member

I tend to find VaPs either creamy or fruity, maybe with a little plum involved, of course I could be tasting it all wrong. As for the stuff pure and as God intended, sweaty jockstrap that's not been washed in a month of heavy sports.

4. muddler

muddler Member

Sour,peaty, peppery...

zappano, bubbagump and mitchell like this.
  5. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I get a peppery, prune-like flavor out of it. Kinda hard to explain.

LifeOfRiley, ken davis and mitchell like this.
  6. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

It can be all the things mentioned and it can even take on a briny, salty flavor. It kinda depends what it's mixed with. I did smoke it straight once but all I can remember is that I never want to do that again.

In Escudo, I get a dark fruit flavor from the perique... very slightly sweet. Kind of like a plum. Perhaps a very lightly peppered plum.

Eric Pierson and ChristTiger like this.
  7. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

x2. That's the overriding taste, to me. It tastes like I would imagine a bag of peat moss would if you just scooped some out of a bag and had a bite.

8. leacha

leacha Just a Member

To me I always thought of a raisin getting it on with a clove and some white pepper. The resulting offspring is Perique.

9. Ephraim

Ephraim Member

I'm not an expert on Perique by any means, but I do get a peppery sensation in the few blends I've smoked that contain it.

jhguthlac and jwebb33 like this.
  10. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I'm not sure whats going on with Perique these days . But back when Perique wasnt an issue as to validity and was common to get a hold of .... if youve ever smelled a tire burning and breathed that in .... they you know what Perique tastes like when smoked straight

jhguthlac likes this.
  11. jhelms

jhelms Active Member

Gee, I have never experienced it and thanks to all of the comments I am taking as warnings, I won't be trying it. :sh:

ruffinogold likes this.
  12. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

No no .... I didnt mean to scare anyone from trying a blend with Perique ! I wouldnt advise smoking it straight , is all . Many blends that contain Perique , contain it in small amounts , where it doesnt taste like burning tires at all , rather a spicy slightly tangy wonderfulness ... by all means , please try a blend with Perique ........ theyre awesome !

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  13. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

My local B & M has bulk Perique that they sell to guys who want to mix their own blends. Last week when I was there I took a sniff of a jar full. It nearly blew the top of my head off. It is peppery but mainly it smelled fermented and raunchy.

14. BernardLerring

BernardLerring Member

Don't worry about the warnings, they're only with regard to smoking the stuff neat. To concur with our esteemed mayor, perique blends are worth trying as pretty much all cracking smokes and taste nothing like perique on it's own.

GANDALF WHITE and jhelms like this.
  15. Husayn

Husayn Member

Whilst I personally wasn't a fan of Escudo, I loved the perique in Exhausted Rooster, Captain Earle's Honor Blend, and Dunhill Nightcap.
    I love it when the perique stands out, to me, Escudo didn't do so. A nice perique, particularly like thhat in Honor Blend, clears my sinuses when snorked better than any nasal spray of any type can. Being a sufferer of chronic sinusitis, that is damned brilliant!
    I love the punchy, peppery, pungent, spicy tones that perique can bring to a blend, it really is quite something!
    Take all the above with grain of salt though - I'm still very much a beginner with pipe smoking :th1:

16. Benton629

Benton629 Member

I find Perique tastes like black pepper and has the same sensation only milder.

I love Escudo and Nightcap. I find the Latakia overpowers any Perique flavor in English blends.
    In Escudo the Virginia brings the flavor and the Perique is only a condiment.

17. Primal

Primal Member

Personally I think i am addicted to it! Blatter Reserve contains Perique and I must say I want all my afternoon/evening tobacco to have at least a hint of it. Something about the flavor triggers fond memories of camp fires and walks in the forest..

18. ken davis

ken davis Member

+1... This is also what I get

RTOdhner and ChristTiger like this.
  19. JRobert

JRobert Hermit Forum Guide

Yes. If it smells like fermented fruit when you sniff it, and you get pepper in the snork, that's probably Perique. As others have said, it's best used sparingly as a condiment, but there is nothing like it in a blend.

dwaugh, RTOdhner and ken davis like this.
  20. leacha

leacha Just a Member

Almost my sentiments exactly. I'm planning on ordering some from 4noggins and adding it to some baccy. Especially my MC 5100, Carter Hall, Sugar Barrel & Walnut. Someplace I downloaded a blending tip sheet and it recommends to keep it under 10% of the blend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.