who's your pipe smoking mentor ?

Discussion in 'OTC Over the counter tobacco' started by Lucky Duck, Mar 4, 2013.

1. briarhoff

briarhoff Member

Try using a blowtorch. Actually, if my memory serves me correctly, I learned that from you. Never mind. :snork:

Brit abroad, Lucky Duck and dwaugh like this.
  2. gentimmy

gentimmy Active Member

I don't necessarily have a mentor, but Dwaugh has continually hooked it up with new blends to try.

Tompf, Alan Dye, psquared and 3 others like this.
  3. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Popeye and Frosty The Snowman.:beck:

4. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I watched my Grand Father / Uncle smoke a pipe and when I started , I really didn't have troubles , other than to say that the pipe would go out at times . I started in 79 and would buy stuff in town [ Hackettstown NJ ] at food stores or a convenience store . There was a B&M in what I think was Morristown NJ that , when I had the chance to get there which wasn't often , I'd hang out and listen to these guys talk about ww2 and whatnot . I could ask questions there but didn't so much . I didn't smoke as flawlessly as these old guys but it didn't matter to me .. plus I was under age and didn't want to be a pest cause they didn't seem to mind me but I didn't want to be the center of attention either .
    It wasn't until 89 that I would hang out at the Lakeland Florida Edwards quite a bit . I learned a lot from the owner . He was one of those guys with the stach that curled around , Don was a trip and a hell of a guy !! They did a good amount of custom blends and Edwards blends and it intrigued me to want to learn blends . So he taught me about tobacco and what was what in a blend . Before this time I didn't care or know so much about Tobacco blends but I enjoyed helping him blend tobaccos . He also taught me Cleaning and buffing a pipe . Heres the funny thing .. I really never cared much for their Pipe Tobacco . This really upset Don so he made me sit and sample blends during a number of visits till we got one ! lol ! There was a blend they had made and I think it was an in house blend because I don't remember seeing it at another store , it was called Loc Lomend or something like that . It was good ! I also smoked Bishop Burley a bit and Scottish Moor . But I was Smoking Three Nuns and nothing else seemed much good .There was a time when I was out of work for three months and I was at his shop solid and it really helped me understand the shop and what goes on . So I'd say that Don was the influence that taught me " finer " things and the business end of it all . But honestly , watching my Grand Father / Uncle smoke their pipes ... is what enabled me to light and go . Don was very much my Mentor as to what a Tobacconist should be ! He was the best I've ever seen . I tried to run my shop the way Don ran his Edwards shop , except I carried MacBaren and PS and Lane etc . Without my time with Don , I probably never would have had a shop

Tompf, Lucky Duck, psquared and 6 others like this.
  5. ruffinogoldswife

ruffinogoldswife The Mayor's Wife

My mentor is the one and only Ruffinogold! How lucky am I to live with my very own tobacconist? I have learned so much from his "just try it and figure it out method" with special tips and tricks along the way. Most of it was me learning on my own and then all of a sudden he's tell me this tip that would just change everything and things would be perfect for a while. Then I'd find myself doing something awkward again and he'd be right there to straighten me out. He taught me quite well and I don't struggle with any blend I smoke, cause it's all tobacco and smokeable. I also gained access to Ruff's cellar and can smoke anything I like, trouble is that the cellar is rather Burley heavy, so I've stocked with a few things for me like Balkan Sasieni , Gaf and Escudo.:) Ruff is the best mentor ever!:D

Tompf, Lucky Duck, cobbsmoker and 7 others like this.
  6. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

How is your Grandfather your uncle and vice versa?

Wait... scratch that... don't think I wanna know! :eek:

:D

7. MDaws79

MDaws79 Member

I don't know that I have a specific mentor, but when I first started smoking a pipe I found this forum, and the first thing i read in here was by Mr. Moo. I think it was the ultimate my pipe won't stay lit thread. So Mr. moo is kinda my mentor.

8. Basil Meadows

Basil Meadows Active Member

Dwaugh's video's. Excuse me, think the Fire Department finally showed up............

Tompf, Skrymr, Brit abroad and 4 others like this.
  9. zacROK

zacROK Member

My uncle, he was the one who told me everything about life that my father couldn't because he was my father. He gave my dad a few pipes when my father quit smoking cigarettes, I ended up with one of them.

10. Wildcat

Wildcat Member

My Papa Jim was my inspiration and he passed long before I picked up the pipe... As for mentors... many, many forum members and friends here and there among the interwebs... Thx to all!

11. boiseTim

boiseTim Member

:th1: PSF taught me what to do
    All the input expanded my tobacco taste and knowledge.And even though still bumbling thru learning I know I can get on here and figure out what to do or what
    sounds good to smoke

12. SidStavros

SidStavros Member

As a kid i had a neighbour smoking aromatics in some bend pipes.Also i liked a painting in the local grocery store,a sailor smoking pipe holding the wheel. From then i said to my self "someday i will smoke a pipe". I never liked the cigarettes basically i hate them from then till now.

13. esteban

esteban Active Member

A huge remembrance & thank you to my pipe mentor 1 Mr. Art Paquette (very recently deceased). Art was never ending with his generosity and helpful tips regarding pipes and pipe smoking.Art loved his Dunhills and Ser Jacapo pipes. Imagine my gratitude when Art gave me a Nording Freehand pipe and a bag of Nightcap....... and now, his wife is sending me all of his surviving tobacco. I'll smoke a bowl of Nightcap for ya.

Tompf, psquared, Brit abroad and 4 others like this.
  14. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

My uncle.

Tompf, Brit abroad and Lucky Duck like this.
  15. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Can I either change my response or add Hugh Hefner please? :ngty:

16. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

My dad smoked a pipe when I was young then he quit in his 40's and started running marathons. I figure marathons are out so here I am. My uncle smokes a pipe to this day. He's definitely been somewhat of a mentor although we live half the country away from each other. He's mailed me a few pipes - those are definitely some of my favorites.

17. psquared

psquared DGErwin, my horse would like a word with you...

Granddad pointed me at the pipe. Old German farmer. His house smelled of pipe tobacco and tanned sheep skins, in the best way. Tried it when I was young and knew everything, but let it drop. Fast forward 30+ years and started again, and have been kicking myself for ever stopping. Found this place, now trying to decide if Wicker Man is my new mentor.

Tompf, Alan Dye, Marker and 8 others like this.
  18. esteban

esteban Active Member

Clangers...Soup Dragons.......Wicker Man should not be encouraged (lol)

19. Lucky Duck

Lucky Duck Member

Great story ruffinogold! I really enjoyed it.

Tompf and ruffinogold like this.
  20. Lucky Duck

Lucky Duck Member

I'll second that, boise Tim!