who's your pipe smoking mentor ?

Discussion in 'OTC Over the counter tobacco' started by Lucky Duck, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Lucky Duck

Lucky Duck Member

Sorry for your recent loss, Estoban.

2. Lucky Duck

Lucky Duck Member

Permission granted.

dBear likes this.
  3. esteban

esteban Active Member

thanx Lucky Duck......This week I received almost 5 lbs. of Dunhill 965 from Arts wonderful and thoughtful wife. The 965 is in bad shape (dry and crumbly) but is rehydrating nicely....so I have a ton of smoking to do in remembrance and gratitude....

4. Rymw

Rymw Member

A fine lady by the name of Laura Knight Jadcyzk (LJK).
    She's not a pipe but a cigarello smoker but I learnt all that was good about smoking tobacco from her which led me to pipe smoking for I had always loved the smell of pipe tobacco since I was a kid. Back then, you could smoke in the cinema and I recall the first time I smelt the amazing aroma during a movie. It was much later that I realized that same aroma came from a pipe tobacco. I believe it was some cherry blend. But by the time I was old enough to smoke, pipe smokers had practically disappeared from our milieu and smoke from cheap, nasty local ciggies filled the place, which I found rather unpleasant. So it was only very recently when I came across LKJ's writings that the concept of pipe smoking suddenly re-surfaced...long live pipe smokers! ;)

5. Rymw

Rymw Member

Very fitting thread... thanks, Luck Duck :)

Lucky Duck, Wildcat and dBear like this.
  6. just5042

just5042 Member

Well I guess all you fellas on here have been my mentors. Im sure someone at some point in my life someone smoked a pipe as all the smells are so familiar. Perhaps in a past life I was a smoker and am in some strange way mentoring myself. :bangin: But I should say thanks all the old Codgers and codgers to be on PSF its said so often but never looses anything because its true... this place is awesome:buds::byg:......... wipe a tear, squish a bug, light a pipe :bing:

Tompf, Lucky Duck, Rymw and 1 other person like this.
  7. UncleVint

UncleVint Member

Pa Kettle:)

Wildcat and Lucky Duck like this.
  8. Wildcat

Wildcat Member

Love Ma and Pa K !

Tompf likes this.
  9. Marker

Marker Active Member

^ Spill taught me everything I know. Now I am so Zen my pipe lights itself.

Tompf, SouthBound, dBear and 2 others like this.
  10. TheModernGent

TheModernGent Member

I don't have one but I really wish I did. Been piping for 7 years now, self taught and I'm 100% positive I could learn something to get more out of my smokes. But, everything seems to be working out ok so far, and until I find out what i'm missing, ignorance is bliss :bing:

Tompf likes this.
  11. nicktrap

nicktrap Member

Since coming back to the pipe in July, most of what I have learned has been from the posts on this forum. There is a wealth of information here and an amazing group of enablers willing to share their experience. A special thanks though to Berg and MentorBV.

Tompf, dBear and psquared like this.
  12. Super K

Super K Active Member

Ive picked it up on my own with help from you fellas. I had a few trial runs in HS but that's a whole different story.

Tompf likes this.
  13. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

Outside of practical experience, this forum has been the place I turn to for answers. When I first joined, @dmkerr and @RTOdhner offered some great personal advice through PM. Thank you, fellows.

Tompf, RTOdhner and dBear like this.
  14. umfunix

umfunix Active Member

I "mentored" myself - basically I was the first one smoking a pipe in my family :)

Tompf, PopPopsPipe and dBear like this.
  15. PopPopsPipe

PopPopsPipe Member

My Pop Pop of course !

Tompf, Jimmy Bukowski and umfunix like this.
  16. umfunix

umfunix Active Member

But, I always loved the smell and apparent calmness of those I saw smoking a pipe; and I'm a bit of a nostalgic

Tompf and PopPopsPipe like this.
  17. Ray Mackessy

Ray Mackessy Active Member

I started pipe smoking before the internet and pipe smoking forums. My great grandfather was a pipe smoker but he died when I was just 5 yrs old. I didn't have a mentor so I learned on my own thru alot of trial and error. When pipe smoking forums came along I did learn alot more and am still learning. It's an ongoing process for all of us.

Tompf, PopPopsPipe and dmkerr like this.
  18. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

True indeed!

Super K likes this.
  19. muddler

muddler Member

I'm pretty much like Unfunix - self taught but influenced by my grandfather & my fly-fishing mentors. That said, I've learnt a heck of a lot from belonging to pipe forums. And the learning continues.

Tompf, umfunix, psquared and 2 others like this.
  20. PopPopsPipe

PopPopsPipe Member

Well he was my inspiration for it. He died at 96 when I was 6. But it's because of him I wanted to smoke a pipe. Heck I wanted to do it when I was 5 ! Lol. I taught myself. If it wasn't for my Grandpop though I wouldn't have gravitated to it. I remember the aroma from his pipe, like many it was the first thing I noticed about it. And from then, I thought it smelled good.

Tompf likes this.