Won Me a Viking...

Discussion in 'Metal Smoking Pipes' started by Coda, Jun 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

dBear likes this.
  2. Thuber88

Thuber88 Active Member

Looks not half bad for cheap, the finish is shot, but if you cant clean it up better, paint it, they look pretty good painted if you can find the pics on here of some, unscrew the bowl, see how your threads are, and clean the stem and the bowl up, and enjoy.
    I have 2 now, and like them a lot, although I prefer the bent one most of the time.
    Its worth what you paid for spare bowls even.:th1:

Trauma likes this.
  3. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Clean it up and let it rip ! Nice score , man ! I like the bowl shape

Thuber88 likes this.
  4. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

I picked me up an actual working Viking a few weeks ago at my flea market score. Forgot to tell you. This time, the mouthpiece is in decent shape. Just needs a paint job. Haven't smoked it yet, but soon.

Thuber88 likes this.
  5. Thuber88

Thuber88 Active Member

Because a Viking mouthpiece is separate, I be it would be reasonably easy to make a replacement for it, if its a straight, bent would just add to the time is all, or even some different materials for one

6. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

Yeah, that's why I've held onto the bowl and body of the other one...

Thuber88 likes this.
  7. Thuber88

Thuber88 Active Member

Always keep bowls, as I said, a cheap really bad metal pipe is worth it for the bowl alone, or the bowl is worth more than the pipe itself

8. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

9. Thuber88

Thuber88 Active Member

Also, the center hole in the bowl varies by years of manufacture, as well as how long the threads extend into the stem. and some are flat, and some are conical on the bottom (depending on age) where they are hidden in the stem

I am curious to find the thread size on the stem/bowls, maybe to find a cleanup tap for the threads, it is easy to get some corrosion there on the stem ,making it hard to remove or put a bowl on rougher threads.

10. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

11. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

My Viking arrived today. It wasnt too bad. There was a fair bit of much in the stem, but it cleaned out fine with some vodka and some scrubby pipe cleaners. The bowl was caked, but I reamed it pretty good with my pen knife. The bowl is smaller than I thought...but it doesnt surprise me, what with this being an old Grabow. The one thing though, there is no Spade painted on the bit. I reckon that is because its an early Viking?...

Smoking it now though...its nice...

Tsalagi44 likes this.
  12. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

Tsalagi44 likes this.
  13. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

Does it have a stinger?...

14. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

Yes, a partial one. It still screws in fine. Can't wait to smoke it. Will be doing that tonight :)

15. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

The bit on this pipe surprised me. It was clean as a whistle. I could still probably ream the bowl out a bit more...but I got impatient. I think the threads might be a bit loose, though. Its not completely airtight with a finger clogging the bowl. I thought about putting a bit of vasaline on the threads, but then thought I might just let it go...it may remedy itself.

Tsalagi44 likes this.
  16. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

Nice looking pipe. Bet it would have some stories to tell -- if it could talk.

17. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

If it could talk, I probably would have had to pay much more...

Ronv69, Thuber88 and Coastal Bend like this.
  18. Thuber88

Thuber88 Active Member

If it could, all you would hear is a faint gasp........" No more......No more........M79!!!!":eek:

Both of my Vikings have spades on the bits:msty:

Hoxlor likes this.
  19. 1858remington

1858remington Active Member

The chrome on the Viking is thin and sometimes can be easily scratched off. If so, a few minutes at the buffing wheel will have it lookin good. If you decide to paint it, make sure the paint is designed to stick to aluminum, or when it heats up and cools, the paint will flake off.

The viking is a great pipe, and is the pipe that started me pipe smoking.:thu:

Thuber88 likes this.
  20. FlatFender

FlatFender Member

Won this on eBay and will be cleaning it up. Any suggestions on how to do so without ruining it? I've cleaned briars before but never a metal. Thanks in advance.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

vjg1954 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.