Work Pipes

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Ritchie, Jan 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ritchie

Ritchie Member

Hi Everybody
    Does any body have any thoughts on good cheap pipes new for work or ruff outings , I bring cobs & assorted cheap estate pipes but in the winter it seems my pipe smoking exponentially goes up & I need more pipes for my rotation ,I have a 100 plus pipes for home & safe outings but only about 15 for work Ect.
    Best Regards Ritchie

Gothicmace likes this.
  2. MainePipe

MainePipe Member

Hi Ritchie,
    Cobs are great work pipes they smoke great and cheap enough to replace if broken...and also cheap enough to build a bigger rotation. Puff on brother :puffy:

mecompco, bubbagump, Ephraim and 2 others like this.
  3. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

If I was gonna buy a new pipe for a work pipe [ other than a cob ] I'd buy a Medico Cavalier or Kaywoodie Relief Grain or Saxon [ stingerless ] . Kaywoodies are the greatest deal in the pipe world and dont have a Lacquer finish on them . Dr . Grabows are good but I just dont care for a lacquered finish so much
    As far as used pipes . I go on ebay and snag old Whitehalls , Marxmans and the like . Other times I'll bid on a nasty old pipe lot . I have a killer commercial buffer and I can whip them in shape pretty quick , so I'm able to snag a dirty set like that , cheap , and sometimes I find a Gem ! Get or make a buffer , if ya dont already have one

4. Basil Meadows

Basil Meadows Active Member

What MainePiper said, may look at WVA Smoke Shop site for some inexpensive briars if your so inclined, as well. Good luck in your quest.

TWolf, Hawkwood, bubbagump and 2 others like this.
  5. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Lol .. we posted at the same time :) ... Yeah , wvsmokeshop has the Medicos , Kaywoodies , grabows and even the most codgerly pipe of all .. The Yello Bole Checker .. but I wouldnt use it as a work pipe out of respect for the codgers of the past :beck:

http://wvsmokeshop.com/

TWolf, MainePipe and Basil Meadows like this.
  6. sillyoldbear

sillyoldbear Active Member

7. Summit

Summit Live Simply.

Falcons make a good working pipe. They are readily available on ebay for a decent price.

inkybat, Basil Meadows and MainePipe like this.
  8. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Good advice above.

Cheap English pipes:
    J-Barber B-Line

For a little more ($50-65), Blakemar and/or Invicta Briars.

New Old Stock (NOS) pipes on Ebay are another option. Never know what you'll snag

9. Ritchie

Ritchie Member

Thanks guys I bring a few cobs with but I smoke a lot of Royal yacht at work & in the medium cob only last me about 12 minutes unless I want to smoke the General cob to big ,cobs work good for me with FVF & other flake , thanks for all the help,off to pull a 18 hour shift in this storm here in Chicago got 20 plus blends with to smoke in _15 f.
    Best Regards Ritchie

Summit and Basil Meadows like this.
  10. Tsalagi44

Tsalagi44 Active Member

I like Falcons and Dr. Grabow Vikings for outside and work usage.

colorduke and irish2fish like this.
  11. Lucky Duck

Lucky Duck Active Member

I bring 1 MM cob to everyday and run 4 or 5 bowls through it. I'd a 4 cob rotation. I've never had a problem. When I finish a smoke, I stir the ashes and let it sit for 15 minutes. After that I dump it and run a pipe cleaner through it. I don't pack it and reload it till it's cooled to room temp. Using this method I've never smoked a cob sour. There's my 2 cents worth.

rondel65 likes this.
  12. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I gotta snag a Blakemar, myself. Too good of a bargain to pass by. But as others have suggested, James Barber B-Line Pipes are both outstanding bargains as well as incredibly good people to deal with. I have a Columbus four pipe bag that I keep loaded up with Barber B-Line's for use as travel pipes. I've been very impressed by them, aesthetically, and in regard to performance. I usually use one of my inexpensive estate pipes for work. Or a Cob. I don't like to take any pipe to work that I fancy. Too many people going in and out of the office at my workplace. I've lost one there before.

13. muddler

muddler Active Member

I use the Savinelli seconds I started off pipe smoking with as work & fishing pipes. Works just fine for me. I've used my Falcon as well though.

Gothicmace and rsuninv like this.
  14. soonersoftail

soonersoftail Member

All the pipes I have accumulated since starting pipe smoking again I've got on ebay. A couple of them aren't everything I expected them to be so they have become my "could be in harm's way" pipes. If they buy the farm it's no great loss.

15. Gothicmace

Gothicmace Member

Aristocob and sillyoldbear like this.
  16. Gothicmace

Gothicmace Member

Just my two cents.. but nothing beats an MM cob for a work pipe... or any time of day pipe... before I go to bed pipe.... when I wake up in the morning pipe.. ok ok.. I think you get it. I just like them and I am not worried if I set it down and forget it... or drop it as I can easily replace it.

17. NYblacksmith

NYblacksmith Member

I go with the cobs if in any situation where I don't want to risk a favorite coming to grief. For work I manage a small warehouse and run lots of deliveries all over New York from Chautauqua to Cooperstown and everywhere from Lake Ontario down to the Pa. line as far west as the Catskills. When in the shop no problem and in all the hours in the cab of that truck driving, ditto. I -NEVER- take a briar out on the jobsite (mostly golf courses/country clubs). Mainly because I'm at work and not there to smoke or present an unprofessional appearance to clients but mainly because that's where pipes get lost. I have found over the years that pipes share the same karma as sunglasses. Find a pair that you really like and have spent some money on and what happens? They get broken or lost, etc. but go with some dollar store crappola and they're like a bommerang, can't throw them away if you try.

Best regards, Daniel.

TWolf, Gothicmace and ShilohHollow like this.
  18. Gothicmace

Gothicmace Member

Hmmm never tried fishing with a pipe.. have you had any luck with that ? :haha:

rigormootis and NYblacksmith like this.
  19. mongo

mongo Active Member

Got a source for Savinelli seconds?

20. Cory West

Cory West Member

[​IMG]
    My two work pipes. Not the best looking but they don't have to be, they smoke great and stay out of the way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.