Your favorite Falcon pipe bowls...

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Marc, May 4, 2011.

1. Marc

Marc Member

Thanks to Falconeer (Gerry) I have pretty much crossed over to the Falcon pipe fulltime now, I really enjoy my Falcon pipes but have my preferences for the bowl shapes and out of the eight standard bowl shapes available, my favorites are the Algiers, Dover, Dublin and Plymouth bowls, they have thick walls, smoke cool and dry and seem perfect for the Virginia tobaccos I smoke. If you smoke a Falcon what's your favorite bowl and why?
  2. Aureliano

Aureliano Member

The Falcon has become a standard in my rotation on account of Gerry and the other gentlemen on this forum. It is an exceptionally forgiving and comfortable pipe, for sure, and I am grateful for having been shown the way.

As I am a clencher, I tend toward light pipes and small bowls. For this reason, the Dublin is my favorite.
  3. Marc

Marc Member

Aureliano, I'm a clencher also and find that all the standard Falcon bowls are easily clenched on a standard straight stem Falcon frame and next to a standard sized cob this is the lightest and most comfortable pipe to clench and smoke, in my opinion.
  4. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Look left to see my current favourite! LOL .....why? - because it's rare!, I made it! and it smokes like there's no tomorrow! .....sorry for the self- indulgence! :rolleyes:
    OT
  5. snowman

snowman Member

I bought a bent and also straight falcon almost a year ago and at that time also bought 6 bowls. I want too smoke them but I'm so hooked on my peterson system pipes I can't break away.Is something wrong with me.LOL.

Alan.
  6. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

no Alan - there's a lot to be said for your Petes!...both in value, and 'smokeability', for me the Falcon scores when I'm out and about - and need to smoke the same pipe repeatedly!
    OT
    Tsalagi44 likes this.
  7. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Yeah, Alan, as much as I smoke my Falcons, cobs and other briars at home, I tend to grab my Pete system when out and about(not too often, admittedly). May need a few more system pipes for variety, come to think if it.

I actually don't recall the Falcon bowl names, but I have both large Dublin style(now, thanks to Snake) and small Billiard(thanks to WillH) bowls on my stems. I like them just fine. I also have an apple that doesn't do it for me aesthetically for some reason.
  8. badbusinessman

badbusinessman Member

Apple and Istanbul. I have every bowl, but these smoke best for me, especially for loose tobacco. I rub out flakes, so folders and stuffers may prefer a different shape. I also like the Hyberbole with a bent stem because that balances the weight better.
  9. Marc

Marc Member

How deep are the classic bowls? I assume they are the same diameter as the standard bowls just taller?
  10. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Right now, I prefer the apple bowl. Of course,
    I've only owned three different bowls.

dp
  11. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

I have a Dover, Genoa, and Istanbul... and I much prefer the Dover! :bing:
  12. badbusinessman

badbusinessman Member

They are both wider and deeper. The Hyperbole is closer to a stack, but the other two are more like a Dunhill size 5.
  13. Marc

Marc Member

Thank you sir...
  14. Falconeer

Falconeer Member

Hi All,

This thread came up while I was away in Newcsatle. While I have all the standard shapes , for looks my favourite is the Apple. but for practicality I'm with Marc - Dover, Plymouth, Genoa and Algiers, which I think smoke best outdoors, and have a good balance and a fine thick wall.

In my rustic travelling set of seven I've just doubled up on these my favourite outdoor bowls.

I've mentioned the great English hill walker A.Wainwright before - he was a great Falcon man and was of the same opinion by the looks of every picture of him with his pipe that I've ever seen.

On the question of bowl capacity - about the same as an MM Diplomat

Best to all

Gerry
  15. Iain

Iain India Alpha India November

Nobodys mentioned the Bulldog shape, I just got an estate rustic Bulldog bowl and its become my all round favourite with the Dover a close second. I've also got a Dublin but just don't get on with it for some reason.

Iain
  16. Marc

Marc Member

I have never smoked a bulldog bowl, the dublin bowl does not have much surface area and only seems suitable for flake tobaccos, the algiers, dover and plymouth bowls work well with any tobacco I have smoked in them.
  17. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Stay Calm - Press On Moderator

Rusticated Billiard #1 (dedicated to a couple of english blends - mostly Squadron Leader)
    Smooth Algiers #2 (dedicated to virginia/vaper and vabur - mostly Escudo and Reiner LGF)
  18. Tsalagi44

Tsalagi44 Active Member

I only have the rusticated apple I guess it is but I love my Falcons. My Turbo-Flo has the smooth dublin bowl.
  19. Iain

Iain India Alpha India November

Wow, this one's a blast from the past! :)
    Can I change my favourite to the Spool shape?

[​IMG]
    Snake likes this.
  20. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Nice Iain! Is that an
    Ireland bowl? I only
    have one Spool, but
    it's an Irish made.
    :th1:
    Iain likes this.