1. Unique, Original Reviews Only

Please do not post reviews from other websites. Reviews found posted on other sites will be deleted.
    Dismiss Notice

1 Q

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco Reviews' started by tyler 32, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greasy Neale

Greasy Neale Member

I like to smoke 1Q & BCA blended at a 1:1 ratio from time to time. It's one of the few aromatics that I like. It has a nice burn and finish. It's a go to when I find myself in a social setting, want to make friends, and don't want to offend anyone. You could also try it blended 1:1 with RLP. That's pretty good too. It is a very popular choice and I think more people smoke it than admit to it. I'm not a big fan of cased and/or topped tobaccos, but whatever Lane does to 1Q makes it a worldwide favorite.

Coastal Bend and Harrison like this.

2. umfunix

umfunix Active Member

Don't have it here...thought it was IQ :xd:

Kevin Keith, bubbagump and Raffxr7 like this.
  3. Ozark Nick

Ozark Nick Member

Got a sample a couple months back. Both times I've tried it I had severe stomach cramps a couple hours later. Not interested in trying a third time. Tasted good though. Lane's Captain Black makes my head spin, but never had stomach issues before.

4. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

1Q is the third worst mixture I've ever had. Paladin & Captain Black took first & second place respectively.

esteban, gd9704 and jwebb33 like this.
  5. InAbsentia

InAbsentia Member

Chalk me up as another non-fan. It tastes a little like vanilla, but beyond that it's pretty crappy. Makes my head hurt, and just... blah. There's even OTC brands that are better than this "#1 best selling tobacco in the country" crap.

gd9704 likes this.
  6. Sick Sig

Sick Sig Member

I just received an order of tobacco which included some 1Q, I'm about 3/4 way through my first bowl and must say I like it. At the suggestion of a fellow PSFer I dried it a bit first and had no moisture issues which I normally have due to the way I puff. Maybe I'm just getting better with my technique. Hope it continues to be good to me.

Kevin Keith likes this.
  7. gd9704

gd9704 Member

I LOVE the smell of 1-Q...but find it disappointing when smoked. And it seems to leave a chemical aftertaste in my mouth after smoking it. Obviously I'm in the minority here if it's the best-selling pipe tobacco in the U.S.

8. esteban

esteban Active Member

Nope.........

9. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

You're a young guy, when you get to be my age you will realize that life is too short to smoke CHEAP tobacco.

Arkie likes this.
  10. Explorer352

Explorer352 Active Member

I fall into the "middle" category- I have a bowl or 2 of it once-in-a-while. It's currently the only aro I have on hand, and I'm content to smoke it in my Falcon every other month, or so. I have never had any bite from it, and when I let a bowl's worth sit and dry for 20 mins prior to smoke, I don't have any moisture issues, either.

I'd say, there's nothing really offensive about it to me, it's just not my fav.

11. user5922

user5922 Member

I like the 1Q but nowhere as good as Molto. 1Q smells good but Molto smells good and tastes good. I could almost sprinkle that stuff on ice cream

Kevin Keith likes this.
  12. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

This is a gentleman's (and gentlewoman's) forum. Please refrain from name calling. It's ok to disagree; just please keep it friendly and in the spirit of pipe brother and sisterhood. Thanks.

13. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

I haven't had any in a while (have been trying out some other aros), but I've generally found this to be a pretty tasty smoke. One thing of note with aros in general, like many other blends when a pipe has been broken in with them it does help the flavor quite a bit, even with an aromatic (IMHO at least). I was so-so on aros for a long time, but then I got an estate that had obviously been exclusively an aro pipe. I cleaned it up pretty well, and then put some aros in it, and it was the best they'd ever tasted. Now I have a small handful of aro pipes -- they're still the minority in my collection, but they've made things much more enjoyable on those occasions.

14. Dwijattam

Dwijattam Member

Yup - pretty nice Aro.

15. derangedhermit

derangedhermit Reclusive member

For people who might want to try a (very) similar alternative to 1-Q, Peter Stokkebye Sweet Vanilla is quite close. The two look identical spread out on a plate. The pouch aroma is almost identical. My uneducated sense of taste says 1-Q may be a little sweeter. The smoking characteristics are the same, as far as I can tell. PS SV even costs less than 1-Q.

For me, they both are a bit "thin" and plain - light virginia with vanilla sweetness on top. I could throw in some black cavendish, as mentioned, but I'm thinking maybe some mild burley might give these some substance. I'm reluctant to waste good burley, though - it may be best to just take them for what they are.

Kevin Keith likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.