• Unique, Original Reviews Only

Please do not post reviews from other websites. Reviews found posted on other sites will be deleted.
pipesmokersforum.com

3 stooge Review start [ Inks , Kerr , Gold ]

dmkerr

PG- free since '83!
Staff member
Ok, I guess I'm going first this time. The tobacco is Samuel Gawith's Firedance Flake. I smoked a couple of bowls to re-familiarize myself with it.

This one begins life as Best Brown Flake as the base, which is one of the very finest straight Virginia flakes in existence. From there they add flavorings of blackberry, brandy and vanilla. Comes a bit wet in the tin but I actually dried it out before I jarred it so no further drying was needed. As always, YMMV, but I prefer to dry out Virginia tobaccos in order to get their full measure of flavor. Too wet and they smoke steamy and dull.

As I noticed before, the blackberry is very present and the brandy is noticeable but in the background a bit. The vanilla escaped me entirely. But this is no chemically flavored Gooper. The base flake doesn't intrude on the proceedings and enhances the blend a bit. If you want a straight VA, BBF is the perfect place to go. This blend has other ideas - the point is more the flavorings which taste very natural and are very app without shifting - very little complexity here, but blends don't have to be complex to be good. This is a nice sometime smoke for me... although I realized when I opened the jar that I hadn't smoked any since my original review almost five years ago. I haven't really missed it, but the last two bowls were still enjoyable. If you enjoy fruity Goopers, you might enjoy this one more. If you enjoy straight Virginias but want some added flavorings, this is worth a try. My original thoughts stand - it just seems to me that SG's countrymates G&H are more adept at merging flavors with high quality tobaccos. G&H "scented" blends seem more focused and balanced, while SG's seem to lean to heavily toward the flavorings.

I think this is a Ruffino favorite. Nice to see he occasionally enjoys a bit of tobacco flavor underneath all the fruit and dessert. :th1:

Last edited:

JimInks

The Virginia is Best Brown Flake: sugary, citrus and dark fruit sweet with some earth, and little grass. Those characteristics don’t show up all that much as the rich, very sweet blackberry topping dominates all else. I can taste the brandy, and a minor vanilla note, too. It may need some dry time, and doing that will reduce the effect of the topping a little, which some may find to be a good thing. The description says “… subtly flavored with…”. No, it’s not subtle. Not at all. Nor is it complex in any real way. This is a highly aromatic flake that is exceptionally sweet, and the strength and taste levels are mild to medium. Burns cool and clean at a slow to moderate pace with a smooth, creamy, consistent flavor that never weakens. No dull spots, a mild nic-hit, and no bite or harshness. Will leave some moisture in your bowl, and requires some relights. If you like the strong blackberry taste, you’ll like this blend and after taste. If not, you won’t. Has a nice room note either way. Not an all day smoke. Two and a half stars even though it is a product of high quality.

ruffinogold

Mayor
None but the Piper... keeps up with the Dancer!

I haven't tried it. I probably won't ever will. I don't think I can keep up with the Dancer. Thanks for the review gents.
I'm gonna send you some ... I cant believe you havent had it yet . Seriously , it's a must try

Inks .. 2.5 :doh: ..... :fpalm:

Ok , this stuff is excellent and Jim Inks is a flake himself , so he's a bit jealous at this blend because it smells better than he does . Jim kinda smells like old wet burley , a fart or two , some dried out spice and a hundred damp comics from the attic ... just to set the record straight . Jim , theres a thing called Adderall .. it wakes the mind up a bit . Ask your doctor about it . If your brain wakes up for more than 4 hours ........... you'll know to thank me , ya whackjob

Anyway ... Firedance Flake

From fresh a popped tin ...... it's unsmokable . It's like trying to smoke a wet cloth thats been flavored , and trust me , I've tried that too ... laced with PG [ Kerr taught me ] . So , let this dry considerably then jar it . It's what Kerr does and most every other flake smoker . Now , as wet as it is , it isnt wet in a PG way , it's just freakin damp as hell . SG sucks in this regard , imo , but it is what it is .

As kerr mentioned , because he obviously has some sense about him as opposed to the third stooge , it's their best brown flake with flavoring .. yada yada .... the flavoring is fantstic .. IF YOU LIKE IT .. and thats the catch with any flavored tobacco blend . If ya dont like the flavoring , then theres a good chance ya wont like the blend . But seriously , Blackberry , brandy and vanilla ... what the frig is not to like !?

I have quite a collection of Firedance Flake from different vintages at this point . The aging of this blend is a trip and I may write about it soon . It's not your typical aromatic that really doesnt age at all or hardly .. this stuff changes in a few ways .. color , flavor , flavoring . It would be a semi lengthy write up but if anyone were interested , I'd make the time to figure it .

This blend , if dried properly , smokes cool , dry and slow . The flavoring stays for the most part at whatever " vintage " ... some better than other vintages . I have this blend aged dried , not dried [ right out of a tin ] and semi dry .. lol ... I'm bit of a freak with this blend . I also have aged sealed tins

I have a pipe dedicated for this blend the @Spillproof Masterful Billiard .... it's such an awesome billiard and the pipe gives off firedance aroma from about 5 - 7 foot away . Every now and then I'll smoke a straight Burley of Virginia in it nd it's like a different version of firedance

Anyway , I could go on forever about this blend . It's a super quality medium bodied aromatic that , if you dig the flavor .. you'll really enjoy this blend .. apparently , Inks would rather smoke Dutch Masters Cherry .... now who's the goop master !?!?

Fire Dance Flake .... 5 stars

fire-dance-samuel-gawith-pipe-tobacco.gif

Last edited:

JimInks

Ok , this stuff is excellent and Jim Inks is a flake himself , so he's a bit jealous at this blend because it smells better than he does . Jim kinda smells like old wet burley , a fart or two , some dried out spice and a hundred damp comics from the attic ... just to set the record straight . Jim , theres a thing called Adderall .. it wakes the mind up bit . ask your doctor about it . If your brain wakes up for more than 4 hours ........... you'll know to thank me , ya whackjob.

Anyway , I could go on forever about this blend . It's a super quality medium bodied aromatic that , if you dig the flavor .. you'll really enjoy this blend .. apparently , Inks would rather smoke Dutch Masters Cherry .... now who's the goop master !?!?
The only thing goopier in your diapers than flatulence is your brains. You scoop it out, add some PG, and "voila" you have your daily smoke. No wonder all your pipes are brown, Pampers butt!!

dmkerr

PG- free since '83!
Staff member
Im gonna send you some ... I cant believe you havent had it yet . Seriously , it's a must try

Ok , this stuff is excellent and Jim Inks is a flake himself , so he's a bit jealous at this blend because it smells better than he does . Jim kinda smells like old wet burley , a fart or two , some dried out spice and a hundred damp comics from the attic ... just to set the record straight . Jim , theres a thing called Adderall .. it wakes the mind up a bit . Ask your doctor about it . If your brain wakes up for more than 4 hours ........... you'll know to thank me , ya whackjob

Anyway ... Firedance Flake

From fresh a popped tin ...... it's unsmokable . It's like trying to smoke a wet cloth thats been flavored , and trust me , I've tried that too ... laced with PG [ Kerr taught me ] . So , let this dry considerably then jar it . It's what Kerr does and most every other flake smoker . Now , as wet as it is , it isnt wet in a PG way , it's just freakin damp as hell . SG sucks in this regard , imo , but it is what it is .

As kerr mentioned , because he obviously has some sense about him as opposed to the third stooge , it's their best brown flake with flavoring .. yada yada .... the flavoring is fantstic .. IF YOU LIKE IT .. and thats the catch with any flavored tobacco blend . If ya dont like the flavoring , then theres a good chance ya wont like the blend . But seriously , Blackberry , brandy and vanilla ... what the frig is not to like !?

I have quite a collection of Firedance Flake from different vintages at this point . The aging of this blend is a trip and I may write about it soon . It's not your typical aromatic that really doesnt age at all or hardly .. this stuff changes in a few ways .. color , flavor , flavoring . It would be a semi lengthy write up but if anyone were interested , I'd make the time to figure it .

This blend , if dried properly , smokes cool , dry and slow . The flavoring stays for the most part at whatever " vintage " ... some better than other vintages . I have this blend aged dried , not dried [ right out of a tin ] and semi dry .. lol ... I'm bit of a freak with this blend . I also have aged sealed tins

I have a pipe dedicated for this blend the @Spillproof Masterful Billiard .... it's such an awesome billiard and the pipe gives off firedance aroma from about 5 - 7 foot away . Every now and then I'll smoke a straight Burley of Virginia in it nd it's like a different version of firedance

Fire Dance Flake .... 5 stars

View attachment 9434
Nice review. I was afraid it didn't have enough of the chemical flavors and Goop you crave. Glad you're going outside your comfort zone Girlyboy.