9mm Filters

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by Nick, Jan 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nick

Nick Member

I've purchased a few pipes that use the 9mm filters, I have a bunch of 9mm Savinelli balsa filters that I am very familiar with but the ones I'm asking about are the ceramic filters like the Big Ben filters that have stuff inside that you can hear bouncing around when you shake them. Ive always taken them out of the pipe when new and just used the balsa filters, but now I've accumulated a fair amount from the pipe purchases in recent months.

My question is, how many bowls do they last how can you tell when they are used up? Any other info on them would be greatly appreciated.

BernardLerring likes this.

2. beaupipe

beaupipe Active Member

They have activated charcoal inside, same as the filter on your Brita or your fish tank's water supply. I use them quite a bit. I change them after every bowl, but I've heard many people say that they can last for two or three smokes depending on the tobacco and the size of the bowl. Some people turn them around after each bowl.

They're not cheap and they're fussy, so if added cost and effort aren't appealing, you can also buy a little adapter to reduce the size of the opening and negate the need for any filter at all. I know some people smoke 9 mm pipe sans filter and sans adapter, but they're probably crazy. ;)

Ephraim, Gothicmace, TedVig and 2 others like this.
  3. BernardLerring

BernardLerring Member

I think they only last one bowl, two at the max. I used to use the Adsorba charcoal filled ones mainly and for the few times I used them beyond the first, they'd be okay for the second but not for the second and then add a sour taste after that. I remember once getting through half a 50g tin of RM Scottish flake and wondering why it was developing such an awful taste, turned out I'd left the filter in. It was a job cleaning that mess up.

4. BernardLerring

BernardLerring Member

I do this regularly with my two Adsorbas and never had a problem with them, but I am crazy, only for different reasons. nbg

Gothicmace and beaupipe like this.
  5. Nick

Nick Member

Thanks guys. I've got a bunch I'm gonna try them out and see what I think. The only filter I really like is the balsa and I only use it when I smoke stuff with a little more moisture in my smaller pipes.
    Cost isn't really a concern to me, pipes are my passion and hobby. I can't tell you how may times I've woke up because I fell sleep reading a forum and my phone has hit me in the face.

browny and BernardLerring like this.
  6. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

Back when I used 9mm filters, I liked the Stanwell's best.
    The Peterson 9mm were too restrictive.

PipeSimmo likes this.
  7. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

I used to use them all the time. I usually changed them every smoke. Oddly, those pipes smoke great without the filter, too.

8. Smarty Jones

Smarty Jones Active Member

I have a fair number of 9mm pipes. I tried the Big Ben and Peterson ceramic filters, found them too restrictive and returned to Sav 9mm balsa filters. Due to cost I normally flip them, smoke the same baccy or one similar and get two smokes per filter. I buy 6mm balsa filters in bulk and toss them after each smoke.

9. sillyoldbear

sillyoldbear Active Member

Where are you getting those in bulk?

10. cmatsangos

cmatsangos Member

Being in Europe, the 9mm filter is the norm. I just smoke my pipes without the filter most of the time. If I must use a filter, I prefer balsa wood.

11. Nick

Nick Member

You can get em in bulk at 4noggins and pipesamdcigars.com

sillyoldbear likes this.
  12. Gothicmace

Gothicmace Member

Now arguments there.. so back to badger nabbing... :haha:

BernardLerring and TedVig like this.
  13. Gothicmace

Gothicmace Member

My wife is now wondering why I have duct tape and a hot glue gun out along with my cob pipe sitting next to the brita filter.... Hey.. if I can get this to work.. I won't need to change a filter for a year. :bangin:

beaupipe and TedVig like this.
  14. beaupipe

beaupipe Active Member

I shouldn't admit this in open forum, but I have used activated charcoal designed for water filtration in certain pipes. I have a few old Ronson pipes--designed along the lines of Falcons. I put a little charcoal in the well of the pipe and smoked. It was pretty gunky after the smoke, so I guess it did what it was supposed to do. I haven't smoked one of those pipes in well over a year, and I have no idea where the little package of charcoal went, but it can be done. But it's probably not a good idea to confess it.

15. BernardLerring

BernardLerring Member

No worries on that score, I'm off weasel baiting instead lol

sillyoldbear likes this.
  16. AlexanderM

AlexanderM Member

The issue I have with filters, and the reason I'm not using them in my 9mm meer is that changing the filter requires dis-assembly of the pipe, and taking it a part several hundred times per year is sure to wear down the stem connection much quicker than if only take it apart once in a while to clean it.

It makes no difference during smoking, the moisture goes into the stone instead of the charcoal and the flavor is pretty much the same. The draw, however, is better without a filter.

17. Smarty Jones

Smarty Jones Active Member

I got 1000 on Ebay about a year ago. About a shoe box full.

sillyoldbear likes this.
  18. sillyoldbear

Damn, nice find.

Smarty Jones likes this.
  19. browny

browny Member

I stumbled upon 9mm balsa filters in bulk on the bay last week, if only I'd thought to mark it and post it up :doh:

I'd much prefer the 9mm to 3mm adapter so I can dispense of a filter all together, if only someone had some in stock.

sillyoldbear likes this.
  20. sillyoldbear

I've been looking as well. I have 4 pipes that take a 9mm. On three of them I actually like the filter but my Pete XL02 has a p-lip and I can't stand it. If I don't use the filter it's too open, with the filter is way too closed. Arghh!

browny likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.