1. Sales and advertising are not allowed in this section. This forum is for discussing pipe making only.

If a pipe or item is for sale, or potentially for sale, do not post it in this forum section.

Dismiss Notice

A dead ordinary billiard.

Discussion in 'Pipe Making Forums' started by Sasquatch, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Well-Known Member

I don't know what Wiley uses. It's certainly not unpleasant.

Christmas pipes are a definite maybe - I haven't had time to even take a dump lately, let alone manufacture a series of pipes.

2. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

You're setting yourself up, making a statement like that...

(I will not be mean, I will not be mean...)

Great! Now I'M repeating myself too! :D

3. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

I've had thoughts-- crazy, unbidden, eldritch, demonic thoughts-- about maybe trying to make a pipe someday. You have, in one stroke, cured me of that fantasy. I thank you for that.

Monkey likes this.
  4. Sasquatch

Ahhh come on Andy. If I big dumbaz like me can do it after, uh, 200 or so attempts, anyone can!

5. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Great looking Billiard.

6. Gary

Gary Member

A detail I was unaware of when I made my first. Mine definitely drops below that line. I was afraid to remove any more material from the bottom...thinking thick is better. Is this rule just aesthetics or is there another reason the bowl shouldn't be below the shank?

Great post, BTW. And nice pipe.

7. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

My kinda pipe ! very nice !

8. Sasquatch

In this case, the "rule" is just literally that this is what this kind of pipe needs to look like to be this kind of pipe (so, aesthetics, yes). Now if that doesn't make sense, let me try this: A billiard has no extra material - no swoops, no lumps, no wings.... it's plain, simple, functional and rigid. If you get away from that, you are making some other pipe shape.

You can shape a pipe any which way, and leave or remove whatever you want, but you can't announce the thing to be a good example of a billiard, or bulldog, or whatever if it doesn't meet the criteria of those certain shapes, or sort of follow the classics of those shapes - Dunhill, Charatan, Peterson....

The Italian makers get away from the rigid classical forms quite a bit - Viprati and Castello do all kinds of stuff with non classical ideas, but they do it intentionally, and the pipes (usually) look like they are supposed to be that way, rather than that it was an accident generated by having a new guy in the shop.

Here's an "Italian" pot, where the bowl does dip, but it does so with grace and it's offset by the reverse taper on the shank for some visual balance:
    http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/castello/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=83253

aGAKWq and Gary like this.
  9. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

There's just something highly appealing about a simple billiard.

glwanabe and Otoolefan like this.
  10. CMAsailor

CMAsailor Active Member

My favorite billiards are from the Tracy Mincer era of Custom-Bilt pipes, and have two panels. one on either side of the pipe. The panels are subtle enough that you don't notice them at first, probably because of the prominent rustification? and the sheer size of the pipe. From the love of these pipes, has stemmed an abundance of true plane jane billiards from other makers, And it's what I hope to attain with my first pipe(s). Ebauchons arriving soon.

Thank you for defining in detail, the intricacies of the shape.

11. Sasquatch

I just did a little panelled jobby for Kreinhard -

[​IMG]

12. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Somehow I miised this little guy !!! Man , I love it :thu:

13. Terry292

Terry292 Member

Bill Taylor once told me every pipe he carved started out as a billiard. It's the one basic shape all other pipes are ultimately derived from, so as he encountered flaws, he could adjust the shape as needed. Billiards were also his favorite shape.

14. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

NICE Billiard---I think Todd knows I like his billiard shapes. I really like the natural look in that straight billy. Damn sweet.

15. tchill62

tchill62 New Member

Good job!

16. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

Todd, do you accept BitCoins ?

17. Longshanks

Longshanks He who shall; so shall he... wait, who?

LOL

18. Jayson

Jayson Member

Would love a billiard like that with out any stain or finish...nekid. And maybe a tiny bend in the stem.

Snake River likes this.
  19. glwanabe

glwanabe Member

Ordinary billiard, is there such a thing as an ordinary billiard? Like so many things that appear simple at first glance the billiard shape is one that is actually quite complex. It appears to be very unforgiving of having a single line out of place to throw the balance and aesthetics off.
    The featured pipe has some lines that I like a lot. The lower bowl radius profile adds a nice flow to the pipe. Many pipes have a much tighter radius that takes away from the flow.

DoctorBob and leacha like this.
  20. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

Since I made primarily nosewarmers, I thought this thread was interesting but not necessarily anything I could use.

Then I got a wild hair and said "What the heck, let's try a billiard." I kept referring to the proportions @Sasquatch posted. I am smoking the first couple of attempts as they just didn't look "right". And then I got closer, put a couple up for sale and y'all bought them. Then I noticed that I kind of without thinking about it, incorporated some of that into nosewarmers and I think they look better for it. And other shapes seem to be easier to accomplish due to the discipline I gained from trying to make a simple looking billiard.

So, new pipe makers. Go for the billiard. You will be glad you did. After you get through pulling your hair out.

Explorer352, jdto and TheNewGuy like this.