1. Unique, Original Reviews Only

Please do not post reviews from other websites. Reviews found posted on other sites will be deleted.
    Dismiss Notice

A Question About P.S. English Oriental Supreme

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco Reviews' started by jwebb33, Jan 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jwebb33

jwebb33 Member

Okay guys I have a you tube channel on which I do tobacco reviews. In preperation for my review on P.S. EOS I looked it up on tobaccoreviews but I found something odd. So the name suggest that this is an oriental blend but the contents of the tobacco are Burley, Virginia, Black Cavendish, and Latakia. My understanding was that Turkish/Orientals are an essential part of an oriental blend. How are they calling this an Oriental?

2. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Latakia is an " Orient " tobacco . PS EOS is one of my favorite " English Style " blends because it smokes so cool and dry . The Cavendish is awesome in that blend and is what "does it " for the blend , I believe . PS EOS outsold Dunhill 5 to 1 in my shop and many people loved it . Even if Latakia was from Canada , it's still just a name . If it were called Mark Twain blend , what should it taste like !? Lol . An even stranger named blend is MacBaren Latakia . It is my favorite blend in production and maybe has 1 or 2 % Latakia in it . Many people cant taste it in there . A trick with MB Lat is to rub it out quite alot and then you can get some Latakia taste if ya want . Anyway , theyre just names

Smokingwolf, jwebb33 and Old Codger like this.
  3. jwebb33

jwebb33 Member

I assumed that they were considering the Latakia to be the orient tobaccos but was curios to see if I was missing something. I agree the sweetness added by the cavendish is what ties the whole blend together in my opinion.

4. jwebb33

jwebb33 Member

Or I guess the sweetness could be coming from the Virginia's. What do you think?

5. sillyoldbear

sillyoldbear Active Member

Also if PS are going for a European style the black cavendish will have Turkish in it. Then again, if this was in European style it would be called a Scotch blend.

ruffinogold likes this.
  6. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I think that the sweetness is coming from the Cavendish, and I agree that the Cavendish is what ties the whole blend together. PS EOS is one of my favorites, and to date it I the only blend that has a room note that my wife describes as "manly" and "sexy." Great stuff!

Price point is certainly a factor, but I think that a great blend is a great blend - no matter who puts it out and how much it costs. If there are some "discriminating" smokers out there who are passing it up because it's just a PS bulk blend, then they're doing themselves a great disservice. It's certainly not an "English" blend in the most classical sense, but that's OK in my book because I long ago gave up on the classical definition of "English." It's a Latakia blend. An "English" blend in my book, any more, is a Lakeland blend (SG or GH) since these are compliant with the English purity laws and are actually made in England. (I guess Condor and St. Bruno also fall into this group).

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.