a Small Victory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dondi

Well it's now been a month since I picked up pipe smoking, and my goal is to smoke each blend dry to the bottom while enjoying the experience. :puff:

So far, I've been successful with the following combinations:
- Peterson Old Dublin in a Peterson Celtic Bent Billiard
- Kopphase & Kohl 2010 (a VaPer) in a Peterson Rosslare Bent Billiard
- Davidoff Danish (a VaBur) in an Aldo Morelli Halfbent Egg
- Erinmore Mixture in a Dr. Plumb Dinky Bent Egg

But I'd almost given up on a tin from Reiner, blend # 36. It says Virginia, Burley and black cavendish on the label and has a very strong plumcake aroma.

Today, I finally got to smoke the Reiner # 36 dry to the bottom in my Big Ben Bent Apple! Two things worked for me:
- getting the tabac to the right level of dryness
- letting the Big Ben rest till there were zero traces of wetness in the heel.

So after a month, I now have five briar pipes, each with a dedicated blend. Cool! :cool:

Dondi

Sasquatch said:
I'll bet you could sneak the erinmore into the Davidoff pipe, and get yourself some Club Blend. :)
Sir, that is a truly worthwhile suggestion! Thanks :)

Now... what to do with my other blends... I'm thinking "get a cob" for these as I hate throwing stuff away ;)
- Borkum Riff Black Cavendish
- Borkum Riff Cherry Cavendish
- Batavia #8 Caramel.

Dondi

Falconeer said:
Persverance pays off! Keep at it, it'll be worth it in the end!

Happy smoking

Gerry
Thanks Gerry! Btw, I like your story about your first wife, and about the bus window... also, your write up on meerschaums has inspired me to get one soon! Hope to read more of your stuff. :puff:

Dondi

Dondi said:
Now... what to do with my other blends... I'm thinking "get a cob" for these as I hate throwing stuff away
- Borkum Riff Black Cavendish
- Borkum Riff Cherry Cavendish
- Batavia #8 Caramel.
I think I found a way to smoke these "moister" blends...I know these are best smoked in cobs or meers, so I thought, what about smoking them in my briars that take filters? I have six pipes, the first three pipes I bought take filters... but everything afterwards are non-filter. ;)

So anyway, I took my Aldo Morelli, stuck a filter in, and smoked a bowl of cherry cavendish. Let the pipe cool, opened it up, took out the filter and dried it in the sun while having lunch, then stuck it back in, and smoked a bowl of caramel burley. And it worked! Cooler smoke, less relights, no gurgle, minimal dottle. Added nicely to the cake as well. :D

Of course, I had to throw out the filter after two bowls, but since I've got some just lying around, I can sneak in a bowl of burley in my rotation every now and then. :puff:

Deckard

I don't worry too much about moisture. I've found that some blends just smoke a little wet no matter what I do so I just perfected the wrist flick. Every once in a while I get a little gurgle so I just cover the bowl with my hand, give a little flick, and its smooth sailing.

Falconeer

Once again glad it's coming together for you - I well remember when I thought I'd never get the hang of it.

With a moist flake ( de rigeur in Britain! ) and a non system pipe I usually blow gently from time to time down the stem then tilt the bowl downwards for a moment which usually fixes the problem for me.

Of late I've been experimenting with drying tobacco ( considered to be a Colonial Heresy here ) and I must admit the results are enjoyable.

Thanks for the kind words - you might or might not want to take a look at the Falcon Primer - I took to Falcons about 1000 years ago as the solution to wet smoking while I was learning.

Well done and good luck

Gerry

Marc

Dondi,

You?re on the right track and learning as you go, that's the way we all started and learned our techniques of pipe smoking and yes, a cob or filtered pipe will help with excessive moisture a lot as you tweak your smoking style with different tobaccos. Keep doing what you?re doing; it will all come together in no time.

Dondi

Hey gents, thanks for the encouragement!

Today I tried a little experiment to smoke slowly and really taste the tobacco. I used the same Fox Dorisco mixture, but in three different pipes.

First bowl, Dorisco in a Peterson bent billiard. Took about an hour, slowly smoked while reading the newspaper, smoked all the way down! Success! Rested the pipe for an hour, cleaned and refilled, and had my second bowl of Dorisco in the same pipe. Again, same good results.

Third bowl, Dorisco in a Big Ben bent apple. I've had trouble with this pipe before, it usually smokes wet, so I really took my sweet time - one hour and fifteen minutes! Again, nothing but ashes. Success again! I was reading Ken Follet's "A Place called Freedom", and there would be parts where I be so busy turning the pages, I couldn't be bothered to relight. ;)

Fourth bowl, Dorisco in a Dr. Plumb Dinky Nine - disaster! I think maybe the bowl is too small? I kept getting a hot pipe. I would put it down, rest it a bit, then relight and after a few puffs, get a hot bowl again! I'm guessing I may have to find a blend that will smoke cooler in such a small pipe (size 2 or 3). :confused:

Marc

Dondi said:
Hey gents, thanks for the encouragement!

Fourth bowl, Dorisco in a Dr. Plumb Dinky Nine - disaster! I think maybe the bowl is too small? I kept getting a hot pipe. I would put it down, rest it a bit, then relight and after a few puffs, get a hot bowl again! I'm guessing I may have to find a blend that will smoke cooler in such a small pipe (size 2 or 3). :confused:
Dondi, I would suggest you play around with your packing technique on smaller bowls, some smoke better packed to the tight side and others a little looser, maybe this will help bring that pipe around.

Dondi

justcobs said:
Dondi, I would suggest you play around with your packing technique on smaller bowls, some smoke better packed to the tight side and others a little looser, maybe this will help bring that pipe around.
Marc, thanks for the suggestion! I like tinkering around (maybe that's why I switched to pipes from cigars). There's different pipe-filing techniques to try out and I found one that works with my "small pipe"!

With my other size 4 pipes, I do the usual 3-phase gravity fill... this time I tried the frank method on the small pipe, using the same Dorisco blend, and it worked perfectly!

Result: a 45-minute smoke with clean ash by the end. The sides of the bowl would heat up from time to time, but never too hot, and by the time the bottom of the bowl got too hot, there was nothing left to smoke!! Thanks again for your suggestion :)

Philthy

As I am still new to pipe smoking I am still working on all the different elements. I try to smoke each bowl down to ash but I find on most bowls regardless of pipe or tobacco that I get a good smoke at the beginning but by the end I wind up with a very moist dottle in the bottom of my bowl that I just cannot get to finish properly. I am smoking light aromatic blends and I am paying more attention to the moisture fo the tobacco beore I smoke. Sometimes I dry it for a bit. I have had some small successes with this.

Marc

Dondi said:
Marc, thanks for the suggestion! I like tinkering around (maybe that's why I switched to pipes from cigars). There's different pipe-filing techniques to try out and I found one that works with my "small pipe"!

With my other size 4 pipes, I do the usual 3-phase gravity fill... this time I tried the frank method on the small pipe, using the same Dorisco blend, and it worked perfectly!

Result: a 45-minute smoke with clean ash by the end. The sides of the bowl would heat up from time to time, but never too hot, and by the time the bottom of the bowl got too hot, there was nothing left to smoke!! Thanks again for your suggestion :)
Cool! Glad the frank method worked for you! It's amazing how finicky pipes can be sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.