Take 15% off Cigar Gifts! Use Promo Code: GIFT15 at cart

A Strange Pipe Came In This Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

xrundog

I bought this pipe on the chance it might be an old CPF or something similar. I always like a nice Bakelite stem. The first thing I noticed was that the bowl has a centered draft hole. And after a little cleaning, it appeared to be a metal washer. Strange! Then I noticed that at the bead, the top part of the bowl seemed to overhang the bottom on one side. That's when the light bulb went on over my head. The bowl must be removable! I had never seen a Meerschaum exactly like this before. The next question was: Is it threaded or not? It took a while to break it loose, it turned out to be simple pressure against a cork ring. Since taking these photos I've replaced the cork. The original stuff dried out and gradually crumbled. And it smokes surprisingly good.

MacNutz

wow, that is strange and interesting. Thanks for the pics. I would never have guessed what was inside the pip, just to look at it.

ruffinogold

Mayor
I have an ancient Kaywoodie that does the same type thing . I need to take pictures of it cause I think you'd appreciate it . That pipe you got there is simply awesome !!!!!!!!!!

xrundog

I have an ancient Kaywoodie that does the same type thing . I need to take pictures of it cause I think you'd appreciate it . That pipe you got there is simply awesome !!!!!!!!!!
That must be a twin bowl. They sold in cases with an extra bowl. I've never been able to get one. Kaywoodie collectors always bid them way up.

gunsmoke

Very cool. Like a gourd calabash except different. Looks like it has a hallmark on the stem also you should investigate that. Enjoy!

xrundog

Ooooooh, an underslung! Pretty! My theory (based on nothing except French Briar was a big deal way back) is that GFB stand for Genuine French Briar.

t-bear

Beautiful old pipe! Closest thing I have to that is this one:

A GFB with meer inner bowl, amber outer bowl and Bakelite stem. On mine, the bowl screws in. Stem *may* be a replacement, but I haven't found anything for comparison. Band is marked "Sterling", no other markings. Case is marked "GFB" and "Block Meerschaum".

If you tire of this beauty, mine would love some company! LOL LOL!

MeerSteve

A GFB with meer inner bowl, amber outer bowl and Bakelite stem. On mine, the bowl screws in. Stem *may* be a replacement, but I haven't found anything for comparison. Band is marked "Sterling", no other markings. Case is marked "GFB" and "Block Meerschaum".

An AMBER bowl? omg, don't drop it ever. :eek:

Genuine amber bowl? That pipe is worth its weight in gold! Congratulations on owning such a rare little 'jewel', T-bear :)

bubbagump

Very nice. I get excited whenever I see one of your threads pop up. Nine times out of ten, it's a pipe that I've never seen before.

Status
Not open for further replies.