A tale of two smokes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcgoven9

Today as I was sitting with my wife watching the news. My son came home from physical training for the Army. He had brought a friend with him. As they walked in the door my son introdused us all. As many young men his age that live with their parents. He went off to his room, with his friend in toe. Nothing different.

About half an hour later I was making some tea when his friend came over too me to ask if he could have a soda. I turned to face him to ansewer. The shocked look on his face reminded me of a deer in headlights. Apaun asking him what troubled him. He simply said you smoke pipe.

I smiled and said yes. A long conversation took place. He talked of his grandfather smoking pipe, and that it smelled just like mine. I talked about my experience growing up with pipers.

He then asked a strange favor. He asked if he could have a smoke with me. I asked if he needed a pipe. He said yes. I took my company pipe with my tobacco pouch, and handed it to him. We sat at the kitchen table. He filled his pipe perfectly, as he reached for a match to lite it. I said that I figured you never smoked a pipe before. He said he learned from watching his grandpa.

We smoked together two of the most unlikely looking pipers imaginable.
One long haired and kind of country, the other a cityslicker with a big city swagger. Talking and just enjoying a good smoke.

Times like these make me smile that I know that the time honored traditions of a generation of the true gentlman is not gone. But it is not goverend by a strict set of rules. It has taken on a new feel. As well as a new look on life. But the one thing that has stayed a constant is love and admiration of simple things, and intelligent conversation.

---Smoke well, Puff happily---

Deckard

mcgoven9 said:
As well as a new look on life. But the one thing that has stayed a constant is love and admiration of simple things, and intelligent conversation.
Thank God for small mercies. The later I'm afraid, in my opinion, has become a rare commodity these days. Sure it can still be found, but I've found certain activities more conducive to it and one of them happens to be pipe smoking.

Another place I've found that seems to attract the type of people that value the things you've mentioned is the shooting range. I can't count the number of times I've struck up highly enjoyable, but completely spontaneous, conversations with complete strangers at my local range.

I think there is something very similar about pipe smoking and shooting that either leads to or attracts a more contemplative personality. It might be something about the patience they both take, slowly controlling ones breathing and working the bolt on one hand and learning to pack and draw on the perfect bowl on the other.

A bit of a digression I know, but I just got to thinking...

Status
Not open for further replies.