A UK 2013 Growing Log

Discussion in 'Tobacco Growing Forum' started by Wicker Man, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wicker Man

Wicker Man Member

I'm shure it could be done easier and I'm only on a back garden scale, are you going to give it a go ? :toast:

2. Moose

Moose Active Member

Great job WM. Looks lik you worked Teddy too hard this season and he has gone to the bottle, Perhaps rehab?!:confused:

3. GlassEye

GlassEye Member

I had the same question while looking through this.

4. Wicker Man

Wicker Man Member

Skrymr said:
    Is there any reason you didn't leave the leaves whole when you pressed them and then cut the blocks into flakes?

[​IMG] because there's no instructions and I thought it'd give a better mix to the Lizard Tail Orinoco Virginia and Black Sea Basma Turkish
    also give the Casing a more even spread and give a better Block which would be easier to Flake and then Rub up ! and it looks Good :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

5. Pariah

Pariah Active Member

Wicker man, do you have to do anything to keep mold from growing on your bricks you've pressed?

Do they need to be stored in airtight containers or vacuum sealed or anything?

dBear likes this.
  6. Wicker Man

Wicker Man Member

I've No Idea ! perhaps you could find out and let Me/anyone else growing know :msty:
    maybe some of the Cigar humidor guy's could help, what is the best Cigar storing Humidity ?
    the Blocks are certainly moist out of the press :sh: I had thought of sticking one in the oven to dry/toast
    [​IMG] at the moment I just wrap in 'cling film'/'sarn wrap'

dBear and Pariah like this.
  7. psquared

psquared DGErwin, my horse would like a word with you...

The basic rule of thumb for cigars is 70° at 70% humidity. Now, having said that... There are widely varying opinions on humidity percentages. Some fellas like to store at lower humidity levels, say between 65 and 68%. There are the occasional few that preferred their humidity even lower. One thing that I think everyone agrees on is the chance for mold to form is higher when the humidity levels are above 70% and 70°. Myself, I prefer to store my cigars between 66 and 68% and as close to 70° as I can keep it. Your mileage may vary.

Wicker Man likes this.
  8. Wicker Man

Wicker Man Member

Thank's Pariah for the timely warning on MOULD ! :eek:
    took the Brecon Gin Cased Block out of the White Oak mould today and put the 2nd Block (on top here) back under the Jack
    [​IMG]
    thought I'd unwrap the Blocks for a group photo
    [​IMG]
    when I noticed the first Block
    [​IMG]
    which has been unwrapped a few times to have flakes cut off had a tiny bit of White Mould growing on one corner :mad:
    I cut this off then cut the Block into x4 put on cooking foil and put in the oven on low for 1 hour
    [​IMG]
    this had the outside dry but the middle still very moist so I shredded x2 into a bowl and put them back on low for another hour
    [​IMG]
    I'll carry on with this untill the bowl is dry enough to smoke let it cool and then jar it, the x2 blocks I'll jar as they are put keep my eye on them
    having found out it's no problem to re-hydrate Tobacco which is too dry, even if only a splash of Grant's into the jar, when required for smoking
    I'll be keeping a close eye on the other Blocks and they may go the same route :popc:

9. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Maybe one of those vacuum sealer bag or jar things and stored somewhere cool and dry . Heres some links for ideas ? I know that MacBaren leaves 40% of the air in the tin .. thats a tin of course . I'd leave a little in the bag I guess ?

http://www.instructables.com/id/The-Alvin-Vacuum-Sealer/

http://www.foodsaver.com/accessories/T03-0023-01P.html ... I've got something like this in the barn

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/sear...32&gclid=CJiEyMKj5boCFeKT7Aod0yAAAA&gclsrc=ds

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...rden&hvadid=3482284702&ref=pd_sl_648k4hm91f_b

psquared and dBear like this.
  10. Wicker Man

Wicker Man Member

cheers Ruffinogold I have a couple of vaccum pumps I use making microscope slides
    and fitting a shrader valve to the kilner lids is easy, I've a big electric oil pump one down in the 'shed'
    [​IMG]
    though storing too dry to go mouldy seems easy ? but I'm only playing by ear :toast:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
    psquared, ruffinogold and dBear like this.
  11. Pariah

Pariah Active Member

Glad I asked! It would be a shame for the last little bit of your crop that survived to succumb to mold.

dBear likes this.
  12. Malcontent

Malcontent Active Member

Wicker Man, if you watch the pipes magazine visit to Cornell & Diehel (see link below), Craig Tarler says that they spray the tobacco with Microban, a food grade, EPA certified anti-microbial solution.
    I did a quick search & it is available in the US from Amazon, so it might be available in the UK over-the-counter. Check with your friendly neighborhood chemist. If you can get it, you might be able to mist the tobacco before casing & blocking.

http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-...light/cornell-diehl-good-ol-american-tobacco/

Stand very far back! Wicker Man is experimenting!

JimmyO and dBear like this.
  13. noodle

noodle Member

this may be a stupid idea but.

can you not just freeze the bulk, remove enough to jar when needed?

there are a couple of things to think about (pike/perch angler so i have quite a lot of dead fish, prawns etc frozen)
    you can dry the tobacco via freezing i do this with some prawns to make them very bouyant to avoid eels when perch fishing to do this just leave it open to the freezer air and it will dehydrate it fairly quickly.
    if you freeze in plastic wrap in the cling film then brush water over the clingfilm bag and freeze doing this helps stop freezer burn which is basically a spot form of freeze drying.
    as ive said it may not be the best idea but will stop mould from forming

14. Malcontent

Malcontent Active Member

That might not a bad idea as long as you are sure that you won't come home one day and find that the missus has filleted and pan fried your tobacco.:eek:

just5042 likes this.
  15. Wicker Man

Wicker Man Member

cheers :toast: Malcontent and noodle,when the Blocks come out of the moulds they're really moist and sticky with sugars Mold Paradise !
    I've found that drying/toasting them in the oven really adds to the flavour, so this might be a simple solution dry them to smokable level, then into clean jars with a seal lid.
    I know when I come back from Bivvying the first thig I do is hang the tarp and bag up to dry/air out, as left rolled even till next day Mildew is a threat !
    I'll be keeping my eye on them and will post to the Log

16. JimmyO

JimmyO Member

To lazy Wicker, far to lazy.

17. Wicker Man

Wicker Man Member

You wont be saying that when Tobacco's $50/oz. or they even Ban it :eek: and if you practice on 5 or 6 plants now you'll have it off to a fine art if they do :)

JimmyO, dBear and psquared like this.
  18. Wicker Man

Wicker Man Member

another block out
    [​IMG]
    I've been giving it a jack nudge each day
    [​IMG]
    and this is the densest and dryest so far
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. AustinLM

AustinLM Member

Wicker, I just spent 3 days reading this thread. Wow.
    I'm for sure going to be looking for that growers guide you promised us. :thu2:

What are the dimensions of your color cure barn? Did you feel like it was big enough?

just5042 likes this.
  20. Wicker Man

Wicker Man Member

:msty: about this by this by this :rolleyes: I'll be taking the last third crop sucker s out very soon and I'll measure it
    [​IMG]
    and yes it was more than big enough

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.