Ammonia

Status
Not open for further replies.

cst

I have a question about an ammonia like smell emmanating from the bowls of all of my briars. This is a new experience and it doesn't seem to matter which pipe (as long as it is a briar) or which tobacco I use. I never noticed this before, and I am not getting this from my cheap meer. I used it as an excuse to pick up another 999 and I get it from that also. Granted that pipe is only a day old, but still...
Any ideas? No change in diet or any of that. Is it time for a thourough cleaning? I considered that until I got the new Pete.
When I say the smell is coming from the bowl, I mean to say that it is not coming through the stem, but I am noticing it as kind of a background to the usual smells of whatever I am smoking. It is not noticeable in the room smell at least not to others. I can just make it out when my nose is near the bowl. Like when my pipe is in the ready position.
Thanks for your thoughts

dubhdarra

get ya cat to stop peein in em.

seriously,i get that with cheaper tobaccos though, i think its probably a function of the way they case stuff.

Wydeboi

Tobaccos that have not been properly aged/cured will produce an ammonia smell. Ammonia is a natural constituent of tobacco, however, during the curing/aging process it is removed. I'd look to the tobacco you're smoking.

cst

Inside, everclear and balls o' cotton, outside I just generally wax and polish with an old tshirt.

As far as tobaccos go, I have been going back and forth between Irish and University Flakes and Mac Baren's Navy Flake in several pipes and Mc B's Dark Twist Roll Cake in another two. Think it is my taste in tobacco?

Wydeboi

Sometimes, this happens with cigar manufacturers, the demand is so great that they fudge a little on the curing/aging process. I'm not sure if that occurs with pipe tobacco producers.

Sasquatch

Wizzard
Pretty odd. Those are all high-grade tobaccos. If the meer doesn't produce the smell, then I can only suggest that you ream/sand one of your briars right back to the wood, and see if it improves. I had a funky Stanwell last week that I finally just reamed right out, and it was a total turn-around.

cst

There is the rub. Or the ream. Whichever, I am getting the smell out of a brand new pipe also. I wonder if my nose has just finally recovered from too many years of cigarrettes? I might ream one and try it. Cant hurt. Thanks.

Sasquatch

Wizzard
My nose never suffered from cigarettes, and I've never smelled any kind of ammonia smell from a pipe. I hate ammonia.

Very strange.

Falconeer

Hi All,

I'd agree about looking at the tobacco closely - any slight, and I mean slight hints of a whitish mould? Any "off" smells when you sniff the tin?

If not, I'd say really dry out the pipe - maybe over a radiator or in the central heating cupboard - very occasionally I've had a slight smell of vinegar from an overused Falcon if say it was the only pipe I'd taken away for a three week holiday. Once the pipe's dry run through with the usual whisky soaked pipe cleaners and run some whisky or your preference round the inside if the bowl.

A propos of nothing, I find the ammonia smell which reminds me of wet nappies, is usual with a new Turkish Meer for a few days - reckon it's whatever they treat it with. Long shot - is it a fairly new briar, could it be stain fixer you're getting or the finishing agent?

Gerry

Smoker99

As mentioned above, it is fermenting tobacco. Cigar smokers, particular of Cubans, are very familiar with it. High probablility you have unburned tobacco shreds/pieces buried in the cake. Ream and clean with Everclear.

Another possibility, strange as it sounds, is that the problem isn't your pipes or tobacco.
A couple of years ago, I started getting random, unpleasant smells. Even funnier was that no one else seemed to get them. After trying to find the source (without any luck) I mentioned it to my doctor on a routine visit. He checked it out and found that, even with no other symptoms, I had a sinus infection that was messing with my sense of smell.
Ten days of pills (with no alcohol) and the smell disappeared.
If this ammonia smell has just recently started, it might be something to check out.
Good luck finding the source.
Dan

cst

It very well could be the sinus infection I am suffering from. Who'dathunkit?
I'm certain it is not the tobacco being moldy and I am fairly certain that it isn't the pipes as I noticed the same thing with my new Peterson I bought Wednesday of this week and the new Stanwell that followed me home today after my failed attempt to drive past the tobacconist. He didn't know what it could be either. As for stain, all of my pipes except the two I mentioned I have been smoking at least twice a month for the last seven years. I guess I will know in a week or two. Thanks for your answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.