Anyone see the "new" pipesandcigars yet?

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by WWhermit, Jan 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dobacco

Dobacco Member

I made a purchase AFTER the change, added some to the "wish list". Went in an hour later and no record of either. Glad I record I voice numbers of purchases in case I don't receive the order. I have no qualms of letting them know my feelings. I think I'll start using some of the other places as well.

dBear likes this.

2. rondel65

rondel65 Misplaces Lighters

I don't really care for their new website either. Change is not always for the better. Their slow shipping within the last few months was enough to deal with. Plenty of other options out there.

3. Dimik

Dimik Active Member

I don't like the new site. It looks pretty, sure, but navigation is just near damn impossible! Brands are broken into sub brands all in one huge never ending list. Bah!

WWhermit, Dobacco and dBear like this.
  4. beaupipe

beaupipe Active Member

P&C lost my business a couple of years ago when it became clear that their online inventory rarely matched their warehouse inventory. Three orders in a row were messed up. Maybe they've got real time inventory now...don't know. But their pipes are poorly presented--no dimensions--and if that's not enough, their new gouging prices on Esoterica blends are beyond belief. And of the dozen or so H&H blends that I've tried, I've only been really impressed with one--Virginia Spice. So I'm not that miffed by the new site design.

5. Dobacco

Dobacco Member

I wrote them a nastygram, not that it'll make any difference. I'll be curious what they have to say, if anything. At least I vented to them now I feel better about gong somewhere else.
    :csmile:

6. Buckshot Two

Buckshot Two Member

Be sure to let us know if they respond to you and what they have to say. :thu:

7. JRobert

JRobert Serious Cat Forum Guide

smokingpipes.com has H&H blends now, including Virginia Spice. http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/HearthandHome/

8. Dimik

Dimik Active Member

I've seldom had a problem with their inventory. And the couple of times they didn't have something, they sent it to me quickly afterwards. Also PC often has lots of the blends I like on sale. Can't really beat 3-for-2 sales on Dunhill and 8oz H&H cans. PC is and will remain my primary source for tobacco, followed by smokingpipes. I just wish the website design was more intelligent.

irish2fish, colorduke and critter like this.
  9. Dobacco

Dobacco Member

Just made a purchase from 4noggins. A lot easier to navigate plus, they had what I was looking for, P&C was out of stock. Pete Christmas 2013 Bent Brandy
    image.jpg

10. highstump

highstump Active Member

You are 2 steps away from being a full fledged codger. You have much to be proud of.:old:

dBear likes this.
  11. Malus Rex

Malus Rex Member

Had no idea about the discount. Thanks

12. Tongue Bite

Tongue Bite Member

Well, I would be a lot happier if these damn kids would stay off my lawn.......harrumph.......

critter and dBear like this.
  13. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

I just added a few blends to my wish list just a few days ago in preparation for a large order. Now the list is gone.
    Buh-Bye P&C….

dBear likes this.
  14. Tongue Bite

Tongue Bite Member

Yea, I don't wanna beat them to death but.......(where's my stick?)

I put a decent amount of time browsing their old site, Favoriting stuff I liked, to narrow future searches. Especially with the huge selection of pipes. Now all that time is out the frickin' window.

15. mecompco

mecompco Active Member

Response from P&C:

"Good afternoon Michael,
    Thank you for choosing Pipes and Cigars to place your order! Yes, it is to be expected. When we moved the site to a new platform, the old order history wasn’t compatable. We sincerely apologize for this inconvenience. But we do have it in our Order Processing system. If you have any questions or concerns about your past orders we are able to see it and guide you in the right direction.
    We apologize again for this inconvenience and hope we can keep providing great service to you,
    Stefanie"

MikeInMaine and critter like this.
  16. bubbagump

bubbagump Sales Account

Yup. I picked up on that pretty quickly too. Absolutely ****ty website layout. I spent a lot of money there last year. That and my daily pipe perusing on their site...ruined. I guess smokingpipes it is now.

Dimik and TWolf like this.
  17. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

Given the nature of their business one would think they'd know what a grumpy lot pipe smokers can be, along with being adverse to change.

MikeInMaine and Jimmy Bukowski like this.
  18. Pariah

Pariah Active Member

"To be expected"? By whom exactly? Certainly not the people that placed the orders online.

My biggest gripe with all of the sites I've browsed is having old pipes shown as out of stock constantly. Its stupid. If they want to do that, at least have a filter option so that I can only see in stock pipes if I want.

But, none of the sites I've been too make it very easy to browse for certain pipes or tobacco if you only want to see things in one price range or style.

Smokingpipes seems to be the best I've found, but they still annoy me with their design and old out of stock stock and a few other things.

19. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

Grumble. Grumble. Um, hey, wait a minute. I just spent some more time at the P&C site and while I know this isn't in keeping with the theme of this thread (or my previous comment) it's really not too bad. I tried the "Shop by Brand" button and was able to fairly easily navigate to blends I wanted to check. It was easier to check the components, style and cut than on the previous site. Also, I spot checked some pipes and found most of those I looked at in stock. Dunno, but it may be something I can live with...

Saying that, I'll add it is beyond me why they could not figure out a way to port over wish lists and especially sales history. That is a real loss.

Usually when the IT guy comes around and says, "We're going to make it better..." it's time to grab your keyboard and run, but this may not be as terrible as I originally thought.

irish2fish and critter like this.
  20. Dimik

Dimik Active Member

I like that the product descriptions are much better now than they were, but I just don't like the browsing. It's not as organized as it was, or rather organized in a manner that differs from the way my brain works. Whatever, I'm getting to the point where I know exactly what I want so I'll just order from them anyway because they give me what I cherish most in online vendors - low price on most things :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.