Anyone see the "new" pipesandcigars yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made a purchase AFTER the change, added some to the "wish list". Went in an hour later and no record of either. Glad I record I voice numbers of purchases in case I don't receive the order. I have no qualms of letting them know my feelings. I think I'll start using some of the other places as well.

rondel65

Misplaces Lighters
Patron
I don't really care for their new website either. Change is not always for the better. Their slow shipping within the last few months was enough to deal with. Plenty of other options out there.

beaupipe

P&C lost my business a couple of years ago when it became clear that their online inventory rarely matched their warehouse inventory. Three orders in a row were messed up. Maybe they've got real time inventory now...don't know. But their pipes are poorly presented--no dimensions--and if that's not enough, their new gouging prices on Esoterica blends are beyond belief. And of the dozen or so H&H blends that I've tried, I've only been really impressed with one--Virginia Spice. So I'm not that miffed by the new site design.

I wrote them a nastygram, not that it'll make any difference. I'll be curious what they have to say, if anything. At least I vented to them now I feel better about gong somewhere else.
:csmile:

JRobert

Misanthrope
Staff member
Forum Guide
P&C lost my business a couple of years ago when it became clear that their online inventory rarely matched their warehouse inventory. Three orders in a row were messed up. Maybe they've got real time inventory now...don't know. But their pipes are poorly presented--no dimensions--and if that's not enough, their new gouging prices on Esoterica blends are beyond belief. And of the dozen or so H&H blends that I've tried, I've only been really impressed with one--Virginia Spice. So I'm not that miffed by the new site design.
smokingpipes.com has H&H blends now, including Virginia Spice. http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/HearthandHome/

Dimik

I've seldom had a problem with their inventory. And the couple of times they didn't have something, they sent it to me quickly afterwards. Also PC often has lots of the blends I like on sale. Can't really beat 3-for-2 sales on Dunhill and 8oz H&H cans. PC is and will remain my primary source for tobacco, followed by smokingpipes. I just wish the website design was more intelligent.

highstump

Same here.....ugh. Order history gone.

Got through to my now-empty account with the password reset, though.

I fear change. I just got used to the damned site.

I'm gonna go look for other things to bitch about....;)
You are 2 steps away from being a full fledged codger. You have much to be proud of.:old:

I just added a few blends to my wish list just a few days ago in preparation for a large order. Now the list is gone.
Buh-Bye P&C….
Yea, I don't wanna beat them to death but.......(where's my stick?)

I put a decent amount of time browsing their old site, Favoriting stuff I liked, to narrow future searches. Especially with the huge selection of pipes. Now all that time is out the frickin' window.

mecompco

Response from P&C:

"Good afternoon Michael,
Thank you for choosing Pipes and Cigars to place your order! Yes, it is to be expected. When we moved the site to a new platform, the old order history wasn’t compatable. We sincerely apologize for this inconvenience. But we do have it in our Order Processing system. If you have any questions or concerns about your past orders we are able to see it and guide you in the right direction.
We apologize again for this inconvenience and hope we can keep providing great service to you,
Stefanie"

bubbagump

Patron
Exactly. It functions very much like the CI site now. And the CI site is one of the worst vendor sites I've seen. The only thing that made the CI site palatable was that their selection of pipe tobacco was limited compared to their cigars and to other vendor sites so it wasn't too hard to find things. P&C's offering of pipe tobacco is much more extensive which makes this new layout way too cumbersome and difficult to navigate. Somebody made a really bad decision.
Yup. I picked up on that pretty quickly too. Absolutely :poop:ty website layout. I spent a lot of money there last year. That and my daily pipe perusing on their site...ruined. I guess smokingpipes it is now.

Pariah

Response from P&C:

"Good afternoon Michael,
Thank you for choosing Pipes and Cigars to place your order! Yes, it is to be expected. When we moved the site to a new platform, the old order history wasn’t compatable. We sincerely apologize for this inconvenience. But we do have it in our Order Processing system. If you have any questions or concerns about your past orders we are able to see it and guide you in the right direction.
We apologize again for this inconvenience and hope we can keep providing great service to you,
Stefanie"
"To be expected"? By whom exactly? Certainly not the people that placed the orders online.

My biggest gripe with all of the sites I've browsed is having old pipes shown as out of stock constantly. Its stupid. If they want to do that, at least have a filter option so that I can only see in stock pipes if I want.

But, none of the sites I've been too make it very easy to browse for certain pipes or tobacco if you only want to see things in one price range or style.

Smokingpipes seems to be the best I've found, but they still annoy me with their design and old out of stock stock and a few other things.

Coastal Bend

Get off my lawn...
Patron
Grumble. Grumble. Um, hey, wait a minute. I just spent some more time at the P&C site and while I know this isn't in keeping with the theme of this thread (or my previous comment) it's really not too bad. I tried the "Shop by Brand" button and was able to fairly easily navigate to blends I wanted to check. It was easier to check the components, style and cut than on the previous site. Also, I spot checked some pipes and found most of those I looked at in stock. Dunno, but it may be something I can live with...

Saying that, I'll add it is beyond me why they could not figure out a way to port over wish lists and especially sales history. That is a real loss.

Usually when the IT guy comes around and says, "We're going to make it better..." it's time to grab your keyboard and run, but this may not be as terrible as I originally thought.

Dimik

I like that the product descriptions are much better now than they were, but I just don't like the browsing. It's not as organized as it was, or rather organized in a manner that differs from the way my brain works. Whatever, I'm getting to the point where I know exactly what I want so I'll just order from them anyway because they give me what I cherish most in online vendors - low price on most things :D

Status
Not open for further replies.