1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Art or Smokeable?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Grim_Puffer, Dec 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grim_Puffer

Grim_Puffer Member

Ok so I am into freehands and combo pipes that look like art, somewhat abstract at times, but are perfectly functional.

Now some of you may have seen this pipe but every time I see it I just wonder how delicate you have to be with it and if it even makes sense to smoke out of it.

Im afraid id break it.

Link is right..............-----> HERE

2. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I wouldn't smoke it while I was cleaning the stalls...

I'm thinking that the majority of potential buyers would not smoke it.

3. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

4. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

It's actually a lovely piece of art and seems very very well crafted....but I can't see me going to the pub with it in my pocket of a Friday night though!

Best to all

Gerry

5. Autococker07

Autococker07 Member

Wow that is beautiful, but i would think art.... it would be a shame to handle and potentially break such a beautiful piece..... also, with the main focus appearing to be looks.... I wonder if it may not smoke as well as a traditional pipe???? I would not find out if it were mine!!! :D

6. Hothog

Hothog Member

It's defenitaly different strokes for different folkes. I prefer a 101 yr old pipe smoker with his 65 yr old Dunhill straight pipe worn to the bone. That means I like rugged looking smoking pieces.

7. erickghint

erickghint Member

I can't see smoking that at all. It's a wonderful piece, made by a great carver, though. I just don't think I would have it in me to burn anything in a vessel (aside from a fireplace) that I paid $3000 for.

8. SSGpiper

SSGpiper Member

I would smoke it, but only while sitting at home. A pipe is for smoking, some pipes warrant extra loving care, but still for smoking....my two cents

Beautiful pipe BTW.

9. EvanWeeks

EvanWeeks Member

Still trying to figure out how the hell I'd hold it that wouldn't be fatiguing on the hand, crunched into some unnatural position.

Neat to look at. Wouldn't smoke it.

10. jeffbee

jeffbee Member

Looks like a "centerpiece" for somebody's den. I don't think I would smoke out of it.

Vauen: that's the nicest zeppelin I've ever seen. <bookmarked>

11. Stoked

Stoked Member

That is a very cool looking pipe! It's got a lot of curves to make it sexy looking. Just like looking at a curvy woman... :thumbsu:

I don't think it's that delicate. Briar is pretty tough. And this pipe has the sitter part carved into the shaft for durability. It's obviously a stay at home "housepipe" though.

So I assess this Calabash style pipe as being functional, durable, and aesthetically pleasing.

If I viewed this pipe as part of a Rorschach Test, I'd have to admit that it represents both the male and female genitalia. How's that for "art" interpretation?
    :eek:hyeah:

Thanks for sharing this!

12. justMike

justMike Member

its a remarkable piece of carving, although, personally, I'd love to see how it stood up to Sas's air-flow engineering. That said, being so tactile, I can see it giving the owner a lot of pleasure while smoking it...

I have my eye on one of them too... looks perfect for a short smoke..

13. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

It's a neat looking pipe, but I'd have concerns with the direction of the grain. If the long thin part had grain running with the length of it, I would say it should be able to handle a light bump now and then. With the grain running across the thin part, I'd be pretty worried about an accidental bump snapping it off.

I've never broke a piece of briar, or even banged a pipe pretty good, but that would be a concern in the back of my head with a pipe that delicate. Maybe one of our resident pipe crafters can enlighten us on the cross grain strength of a long, thin piece of briar?

14. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

if i wanted a pipe that free-formy i'd get a t-bear. they look better, its supporting a "local" craftsman, and if he smokes them you know they're not lousy smokers. i suspect they're a lot less wallet-threatening as well.

just a thought.

15. sorringowl

sorringowl Emoticonally challenged

I would say that this is smokeable art. That being said, I probably wouldn't smoke it unless I was in space and gravity would hold it up while I smoked it. That way, there's no risk of me damaging or scratching it because I don't have to put my hands on it. Of course, there's very little, if any, oxygen in space (and if that's wrong, sue me) so the damn thing probably wouldn't light in space. But if it did, the tobacco chamber would get actual tobacco in it and might get dirty and there's always the risk of charring the rim. But hey, that's what pipes are for, to smoke...yes?
    Still, though, I probably wouldn't buy or smoke this thing in a million years. It's just a little too delicate looking (I'm sure it's actually fine to handle--but it looks delicate). So yeah, maybe this is more art than smokeable...or...maybe not...I have no idea...I need a smoke...

16. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Well, aren't all of our pipes "smokable art"? My MM's may be sort of "hillbilly-ish" but they are artful in their own right........ ;)

Bet that's one pipe that Bess' cat won't bat at (until the cat realizes it's just a pipe) :)

If I owned her, I'd eventually get around to smokin' her but she'd be relegated to "House Status" for sure. Wouldn't take her out to where she could break a leg or something.......

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

17. cigarsarge

cigarsarge Active Member

I don't like it at all...It maybe art but it ain't a smokers pipe.

18. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I'll bet the engineering is spot on. Those "superpipes" are seldom ugly inside.

19. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

As they should be for the price and the quality of the briar........as well as the talents & skills displayed. Wouldn't see a "pre-carbon'd" bowl on those (or at least shouldn't see it).

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

20. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

At that level, when you see a carbon coating, it's to enhance the look of the pipe. If you look at close-ups of a Tokutomi, for instance, it looks like he does the coating with a laser or something - it's so ridiculously perfect it just makes me sick.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.