1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Ashton (Brindle XX)

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by jshogan2, Dec 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jshogan2

jshogan2 Member

I've come full circle on the Ashton brand, beginning with my disbelief in what I considered at the time to be poor QC of their newer pipes, ending with my more recent acceptance of needing to make minor mods to these beautiful nicely priced pipes to turn them into great smokers. I currently have a Sovereign XXX and a couple Brindle XX pipes... I really want ~3 more Brindle XX pipes which don't seem to be very common. I'm thinking a bent billiard with tapered stem, a lumberman, and a squat bulldog with tapered stem... I love everything about XX Brindle Ashton pipes, particularly that they allow me to sneak away and relax for just 30 minutes at a time, allowing me to enjoy them more frequently than my larger pipes.

The question is this: Does anyone know if Ashton accepts commissions or requests? Thanks in advance for your help in my quest for these small brown whales... ;)

2. jshogan2

jshogan2 Member

Any love for this thread? Maybe it's silly of me to ask if a factory would even consider "comissions" or requests?

3. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

You could call them or email them. The worst they could say is No.

bubbagump and Coastal Bend like this.
  4. jshogan2

jshogan2 Member

I emailed them a while back as this was the only means of reaching them I could find after searching for a while... still no response. Anyone happen to have any contacts who might prove helpful?

5. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I"m not sure how they'd react. Dunhill used to take offense at requests for mods, apparently believing their pipes were perfect as they were.

What kind of things are you looking to have done?

6. jshogan2

jshogan2 Member

Sorry, my original post may have been a bit unclear. I don't want them to modify their pipes. I'd just like some of the shapes I've seen in their Pebble Grain finish, except in Brindle (w/ corresponding stem) instead. From time to time I've seen the exact pipes I'm interested in on Ebay, but they were (at the time) either above my price range or not in the condition I would prefer. If I have to countersink the tenon on their pipes, I'm perfectly happy to do so... I just want to see if they would take a request for some very standard shapes that they already make which seem to be uncommon these days in Brindle finish.

7. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

The usual comment I got from manufacturer's on similar requests was something to the tune of "We only deal with wholesalers and retailers and we suggest you order via your local tobacconist". I got that from Dunhill when I wanted a 1/8 bent stem on a straight pipe, but an official Dunhill stem. And Charatan rebuffed my attempt at getting a barrel shape. That doesn't mean Ashton won't take care of you - it just means that I've had no success with similar requests 20-30 years ago.

8. jshogan2

jshogan2 Member

Eh, still no reply from Ashton via the email I found for them on Pipepedia, and it's been several weeks. Looks like I'm just going to have to troll several forums and retailers for a couple years :D.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.